·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hiya
I just adjusted the bands and changed the oil and filter and now The gearbox can't make up it's mind between 1st and 2nd gear on a light throttle. If you drive in traffic really annoying but on open road fine.
Help please!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
awesome I was looking to do this soon thank you for putting this up, any better pick on the kick down front band location??

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Hiya
I just adjusted the bands and changed the oil and filter and now The gearbox can't make up it's mind between 1st and 2nd gear on a light throttle. If you drive in traffic really annoying but on open road fine.
Help please!!!

It sounds like your solenoid/governors have some debris in them and need to be replaced. That can cause the condition you are describing. You can also make sure your kickdown cable is adjusted properly and not too loose.

8,725 Posts
Hiya
Help please!!!
adjsut the tv cable, right next to the throttle cable, it most liklely is out of adjustment, dave may have a pic

1.Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2.Remove air cleaner if necessary.
3.Disconnect cable end (3)(Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage) from attachment stud on throttle lever (1). Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
4.Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
5.Pry the T.V. cable lock (A) into the UP position. This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
6.Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable
7.Adjustment. Slide the sheath of the T.V. cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the T.V. cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm).
8.While holding the T.V. cable in the set position push the T.V. cable lock (A) into the down position. This will lock the present T.V. cable adjustment.
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

9.Reconnect the T.V. cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).
10.Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,696 Posts
Tony, the all the A, B, C, and Ds.... Are you sure there wasn't suppose to be a picture with this ???.... :)

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I decided to let the Viper tech 1 hr away adjust mine this fall when I get the engine back together. After racing at PCB, I feel it's time, though I'm having no shifting issues to date.

I feel quite comfortable doing the band adjustments myself, but want to get the tranny flushed at the same time, not just drained and refilled. I can't flush at home, and wouldn't trust some Joe down the street with my truck.

No offense to anyone in here named "Joe"..

8,725 Posts
Tony, the all the A, B, C, and Ds.... Are you sure there wasn't suppose to be a picture with this ???.... :)
read my first sentence monkey, it says maybe dave has a pic:blah::blah:

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,696 Posts
Ok, Ok, so maybe I did miss that but where did you get all the picture insturctions without having pictures ?? :reporter: :reporter: :reporter: :)

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, didn't know I was being paged. I'm heading out the door right now but will see if I can dig up a picture when I get back.

I'm back. Here's what I found.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tried the band adjust today. Did only the Front one,just like the instuctions. Got out tried the thing but I got no reveres so had to loosen the thing again.
My question is does the Rear band have to also be done for it to work.
Only reason i tried this was cause the throttel cable conenction seems to have wore off truck is shifting had again. Any ideas.
I'll probably take it to the shop next week. Anyone think the adjustment will be covered under the warrenty?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The throttle cable will have play in it. It's fine. If u adjusted the band right, you should not have lost reverse. You are using a torque wrench, correct? It's a very simple procedure. No way, would I trust a dealership tech with this. Half of them dont even know that the bands are adjustable and the other half will probably do the outside band and not the inside band. But they'll charge u for both. Take your time and learn how to do it. Loosen lock nut, tighten adjustment screw to specified inch pounds, back adjustment screw specified amount (i marked mine with a sharpie, so i would know if it move when I tightend the lock nut) and finally tighten lock nut down specified foot pounds. It's reall that easy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.