SRT10 Forum banner

how to properly bleed your clutch

43K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  GraceNoah 
#1 · (Edited)
this not the gospel, so do this at your own risk/abilities so if your cant do it take it to a trained tech. but this will give you some insight as to how it is done.
i used RFI bleeder kit we sell thru our store.
guys this might help if you are having a F&*K of a time trying yourself or your dealer is trying to bleed your clutch.
i used a RFI (reverse fluid injector) its a pistol grip syringe basically, that acts as a hand held master cylinder.
ideally, you would have youre slave cylinder out of the tranny on the bench for this. but it can be done in the car as well.
you will want to remove the throw out bearing so the spring under it can come can off of the slave cylinder. (on the stock truck slave there is a spring clip, on the Viper slave you twist the throw bearing so the retaining tab lines up with the removal slot.)
loosen the bleeder & compress the piston in the slave by sliding the throw out bearing back on & squeezing it down until it stops at the bottem. inject fluid into the slave thru the bleeder port until it pushes the throw out bearing out until it is even with the end of the slave cylinder. tigtnen the bleeder, & reassemble the throw out bearing & spring assy.
THIS IS WHERE MY SYSTEM HAD A PROBLEM. i had air between the piston cups. inject fluid thru the poppet valve at the end of the line up to the master cylinder, being carfull not to overfill the resevoir. do this until no more bubbles appear. then remove the master cylinder from the truck -just 2 bolts- & remove the clip that holds the plunger assy in the master. then remove the plunger holding it upside down with the braided line hanging down as not to let air back in to it. fill up the master cylinder body with new brake fluid to the very top. slowly & carefully minding not to tear a piston cup assemble the plunger. it will over flow the brake fluid, thats the idea so it dosent have trapped air in it. you may need any assistant to hold down the plunger so you can put the spring clip back in. wipe everything down & reinstall the MC.
you have no air in the system, when your pedal has no more than 3/4-1" of freeplay before you feel pressure with your hand.
to tell if your slave or MC is the problem, disconnect the line from the slave by pushing in the plastic clip with pliers & pushing then pulling on the line while pushing in the plastic sleeve. if the pedal is immediatly hard to push (with your hand) the slave has air in it. if is spongy the MC (and also maybe the slave) has air in it.
i used Motul Racing Brake Fluid, we use it on our roadracing bikes, as it has one of the highest boiling points and is packaged in nitrogen so it wont asorb moisture. this stuff is GOOD!
also, instulate the clutch line a little better with some heat wrap, and on the earlier model '04's, make sure your line is secured to the firewall away from the exhaust pipe. i actually used header wrap around the exhaust pipe there to keep heat away from the clutch, line & tranny, i do both sides when we do an install. it keeps the cab area cooler, and the tranny as well!

See less See more
#32 ·
Can the next person that does this take some pictures? I'm going to have to read through the thread a few times and try to get my thoughts in order so I can work out the kinks at each step of the process. That said, thank you for starting the thread at all @BOOMER. The information is definitely much appreciated for people who are looking to get a bit of a fix-up at home at their own convenience. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.