SRT10 Forum banner

I like your SRT-10 by 1 SVT Lightning Owner

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  BOOMER 
#1 ·
Well after many months I have decided to chime in. I first must say, I have been looking at this board since the birth of the new Dodge beast. I am usually on f150online.com - lightning. I own (proudly) a 2001 Ford Lightning. After mods my truck puts down 520 RWHP with 632ft/lbs Torque.

I decided to post because I am a sick of reading every second post from WickdSVT and other SVT owners that feel the need to defend my truck against yours. The fact of the matter is, is that you guys have a beast of a truck. I personally am not a dodge fan, like you are not a ford fan, but I do respect the power and specs of your truck. Whether you choose to buy one, or I choose to buy a Ford makes the world go round. That is why we live in a democratic state.....ol, being from Canada is much like a communist state according to my Texas friends , but you get the point.

My views are pretty common amongst the Lightning crowd. We look forward to meeting you guys at the track and checking the trucks out. Do not let the trolls on here sway your views. We are all drag/race/high perfomance lovers. Lets leave it at that. Congrats on your new truck and I look forward to reading and hopefully seeing some of you run. The user ' 9 secs' seems to have been doing everything right and I applaud that. Way to go :cool:

I just wish these guys had enough common sense to see that the 2 trucks are DIFFERENT. Apples to oranges. I don't need to flaunt the fact I have an 11 sec. truck. I know what I have. I know what you have and the capabilities of your truck in the years to come. Good luck!

Anyway, have a good one

Michael
01 L - built by JLP....member of the 500/600 club

See less See more
#3 ·
Totally agree from another Lightning owner

Very well said Canuk. I totally agree.

Y'all have a very cool hot rod with the SRT-10. Who wouldn't want a freakin' Viper V-10 and a 6 speed in a truck. Toooooo coool. I wish 9-sec and everyone else good luck with your trucks. :D

#4 ·
Thanks for joining in and for the compliments. I think truck performance (SRT, Lightning, Hemi) is really starting to blow up. That is what competition does. To quote a line that cost Clayton Williams the Govenorship of Texas, "If it's inevitable, just sit back and enjoy it". So far, I'm enjoying it.

One question quickcanuck, is that 11 seconds Canadian or 11 seconds US?

#5 · (Edited)
quickcanuck said:
I decided to post because I am a sick of reading every second post from WickdSVT and other SVT owners that feel the need to defend my truck against yours.
1. at least spell it correctly.
2. the only time I defend MY truck is when someone steps over the line I call them out on it.
3. I think I contributed a little (phenolic spacer, traction bars, weight reduction etc...) to this site.

I'm loved no where, even my own kind cast me out :D

#6 ·
9 seconds said:
One question quickcanuck, is that 11 seconds Canadian or 11 seconds US?
Those are US times...if it was Canadian I would have to multiply by 1.43 :D

Wikdsvt - First, sorry about the spelling. Secondly, my one and only point is this....this is a Dodge forum, for Dodge owners and lovers, much like the Lightning forum at F150online. Everytime I check this site out, I see posts with you in them. I am not trying to flame here, but OMG, leave these poor bastards alone!!!! ;) If someone trolled on our site like you do here they would be unmercifully flamed and eventually banned. You own a great, if not the best truck (IMO). Leave it at that.

Cheers everyone, and GO CANUCKS!!!!!

Michael

#7 ·
Couldn't agree more. I'd absolutely Love to have one of these trucks parked in my driveway, and if I find out they can tow 5,000#'s without problems, I Will!;) If not, then I wait for the Gen3 L.

I've always had a real bad 'thing' for the GMC Sy/Ty's since I bought mine new, and to this day I still love the truck. I liked the Gen1 L's enough to pick one up in '99, but then traded it on my Gen2, as it was simply not fast enough for me. ;) The Gen2 is a real cool, fast truck, but IMO there were too many built, and that kind of takes away from the special-ness (I just made that word up!) for me. I hope Dodge sticks with the plan and keeps this truck Limited production. I guess that's what really gets me is the true exclusivity, and you definitely have that.

IMO, you guys are real lucky to have such a rare, cool, fast truck! Have fun with them and don't take any sh!t from anybody. Oh, and if I see any of you at the track, I'll be over to check it out. :cool:

#9 ·
Wikdsvt said:
1. at least spell it correctly.
2. the only time I defend MY truck is when someone steps over the line I call them out on it.
3. I think I contributed a little (phenolic spacer, traction bars, weight reduction etc...) to this site.

I'm loved no where, even my own kind cast me out :D
very cool thanks canuck.
you know what. i must admit, having the furd guys on here does make things better.
when wikdsvt gives setup ideas and such as he has been i look forward each morning to check out his latest post.
the furd guys have had a long time to try different things & i really appreciate their input, since alot of it can be applied to our trucks. i am sure 9 would agree here. we really do need to mess with eachother a little, competition makes everyone advance!

#11 ·
Hemi57 said:
Hammrhead i bet if you put some air bags that help the rear sag on the rear end of the truck, and fixed the tires up for it, the truck could tow 5000#

well said quickcanuck!
I don't think that would be a problem as long as the vehicle is centered on the trailer correctly. In reality, there should only be a couple hundred pounds of tounge weight on the trucks suspension, wheels and tires. I read 9 seconds sticky about towing, and it makes sense to me that the 'pulling' aspect of towing may be the problem ---> Clutch? Personally, I doubt I'd have a problem with frying the clutch while towing, but I'm not willing to risk voiding a warranty on 45K worth of new vehicle, if by chance I do have any driveline problems, which the dealer decides towing was the cause of.

Now there may always be a chance of me having driveline problems while simply driving the truck in an,, ummm, spirited fashion. ;) :D

#12 ·
agreed exclusivity

i too hope dodge keeps the #'s down on the 10. looking forward to the new L as well. if they cum out as bad as 2 be hyped i will do my damnest to have both in my garage, especially if ford stays auto. I myself have been a chevy guy for some time and am absolutely embarrased as 2 what they offer performance truck wise. I still drive a H.D. on 37's for work but 4 play the ss is a joke. as a matter of fact i'm selling my "bagged" 02 1500 , on 22,s, with about 20 g's in extras in it , for my srt . wasn't all that hard of a decision but a year and a half of customizing and BS gone.

#13 ·
Hamrhead, couple hundred pounds of tongue weight?

During the motor trend truck of the year test, they did the SRT 10 1/4 mile at 13.1, then put 650lbs IN THE BED and got a 13.5 i think.

I would think that if it can handle 650lbs of payload, it can handle a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight cant it? :confused:

trev17, the report in my Truck SUV Van buyers guide and a few other places say that the new 450HP L (450 because the supercooler wont be there) will have the SAME tranny as the SRT, a T56 Tremec.

#14 ·
Hemi57 said:
trev17, the report in my Truck SUV Van buyers guide and a few other places say that the new 450HP L (450 because the supercooler wont be there) will have the SAME tranny as the SRT, a T56 Tremec.
I believe to 50 hp extra was after the 500 base (its still all guessing by everyone however.) I don't think there is much of a chance of a 6 speed from what I have read either.

#15 ·
supercharger

soooooo.... i heard through the grapevine this evening from a good source that dodge will be making their own superchrgr for the srt 10 and warranting it not too far away. i'm sure most already know but i didnt so im passing it on - an other sources of one would be appreciated. plus how long should i wait till i attempt to get one ? any one ?????

#16 ·
t56

is the t56 standard in this area of sport cars or is that a direct bite from the pvo boys?

#17 ·
trev17 said:
is the t56 standard in this area of sport cars or is that a direct bite from the pvo boys?
Boomers working on getting a supercharger. I think he should have some good feedback after a while.

The T56 is pretty standard on all High Performance vehicles that offer a stick shift I belive, Viper, Cobra, Z06 etc. "and of courseTHEE truck"

oh ya, a Early Congrats on "almost having" your NEW Truck :cool:

#18 ·
Hemi57 said:
Hamrhead, couple hundred pounds of tongue weight?

During the motor trend truck of the year test, they did the SRT 10 1/4 mile at 13.1, then put 650lbs IN THE BED and got a 13.5 i think.

I would think that if it can handle 650lbs of payload, it can handle a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight cant it? :confused:
Yes, I think so. Isn't that what I wrote? :confused:

#21 ·
If "stones" were all that was involved in a tow rating, then the Lightning and the Ram SRT-10 would be able to tow 15,000lbs. :D

My bet is the trans and clutch would not hold up in the long run. The L has the same limitation with lowered suspension and car type tires (although I know the Ram has that worse with the 22's), but maintains a tow rating.

It is pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Gen III Lightning will have an auto trans. Whether it will be a 5-speed, or a 6-speed, we do not know. Also, there has been talk of a paddle shifter for it............ but who knows. Enginewise, Coletti and others have pretty much nailed it down without "really" saying it.............. it will have a version of the Ford GT engine.

There has been rumor that the last production year for the GT (there will only be 3) will be using the V10 shown in the Shelby concept (this came from a Ferrari/supercar enthusiast who is very "in-the-know" about the supercar world........... money does buy you something). This would free up the GT engine for other uses without the possibility of stepping on any toes.

The heads of the SVTOA chapters and other SVTOA (SVT Owners Association) upper crust recently got to preview upcoming SVT projects. Now, of course they are not able to say anything directly, due to confidentiality agreements they signed. However, they did say that the next L will absolutally knock everyones socks off. Take that for what it is worth.

It's funny............ I am a member of many forums of many different manufacturers. Whenever there is one of those "what is better" types of threads, I always tell people that what is better is what works better for them.......... not me, as it is them who is spending the money. I then usually get accused of being a "Ford girl." LOL (interesting since I own 8 vehicles, and only 3 are Fords).

On that note, anyone want to buy a real nice 2 owner 68 Chevy C10??? It only needs paint and trim. We need room for a boat we want to buy. :D

#22 ·
Personally...I think the SRT-10 is an awesome truck with GREAT potential. The Lightning guys has a tought time at first getting decent times and we have automatics. The SRT-10 is such a sexy automobile...no even considering it a truck. I'm not sure whether I'd give up my Lightning for one but I would certainly own one and if the funds are available anytime soon that may be an option. Within a year this truck will accomplish many things and I hope to see such great things accomplished...not brand specific just that I'm a fan of going fast. I'm not a die-hard Ford fan...I like the SVT products and some others but I also like several other products, SVO for one. THe SRT-10 has things the lightning doesn't have and we have things the SRT-10 doesn't...(price mostly), but people who buy the SRT-10 more than likely aren't even concerned about the price that much...so why so many arguments about fast+cheap=God? If you're fast in a truck then you should receive props no matter what make vehicle you have. If a Hemi truck runs a sub 14 I will give mad props to the owner. This is my humble opinion and I'm certain this doesn't represent the other Lightning owners but I just wanted to make a positive statement...thanks Dodge for finally coming to your senses and thanks for making something beautiful AND fast!

#23 ·
SNCBOOM said:
Personally...I think the SRT-10 is an awesome truck with GREAT potential. The Lightning guys has a tought time at first getting decent times and we have automatics. The SRT-10 is such a sexy automobile...no even considering it a truck. I'm not sure whether I'd give up my Lightning for one but I would certainly own one and if the funds are available anytime soon that may be an option. Within a year this truck will accomplish many things and I hope to see such great things accomplished...not brand specific just that I'm a fan of going fast. I'm not a die-hard Ford fan...I like the SVT products and some others but I also like several other products, SVO for one. THe SRT-10 has things the lightning doesn't have and we have things the SRT-10 doesn't...(price mostly), but people who buy the SRT-10 more than likely aren't even concerned about the price that much...so why so many arguments about fast+cheap=God? If you're fast in a truck then you should receive props no matter what make vehicle you have. If a Hemi truck runs a sub 14 I will give mad props to the owner. This is my humble opinion and I'm certain this doesn't represent the other Lightning owners but I just wanted to make a positive statement...thanks Dodge for finally coming to your senses and thanks for making something beautiful AND fast!
thank you from all of us srt guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.