SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the black metal front plate holder? I have not done yet...still waiting for my vanity plates. Hate to mess up the front end...still debating whether I should install. I was stopped a few times in the Chicago area with my 2001 Z06 Corvette not having front plates. Living in the Northwoods now with only an occasional highway driveby (once a month) of county police cars.

I assume the holder uses self-tapping screws as supplied??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did not install mine. I just keep it in the cab, if I see a cop, I
just put in next to the windshield on the dash. Works every time.
:D

·
Banned
901 Posts
I am glad we do not need front plates in Florida , however I have seen a dealer with an Autoway plate screwed in it.

The holes that remained after the plate was unscrewed made me sick to look at it.

Not sure if there is a way to fabricate something so you do not have to drill/screw into the front bumper.

Have your new vanity plate airbrushed on the front bumper...that ought to give PD something to think about...lol

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
In the UK we have to show a front plate, if it was not law I would not have one!!

Ian.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I would just zip tie it to the black grill section,You can hardly see the ties.I did that for quite awhile.The hell with drilling those holes in it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Has anyone installed the black metal front plate holder? I have not done yet...still waiting for my vanity plates. Hate to mess up the front end...still debating whether I should install. I was stopped a few times in the Chicago area with my 2001 Z06 Corvette not having front plates. Living in the Northwoods now with only an occasional highway driveby (once a month) of county police cars.

I assume the holder uses self-tapping screws as supplied??
They make a spring loaded butterfly that a screw goes into...just go to your local hard ware store. Thats where I got mine from. I folded my plate on the bottom..Saves you from drilling into your bumper...

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
You just use a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch the butterflies behind the honeycomb...then hand thread the bolt or screw which ever comes with it. then once it bites release the butterfly and hold one side with the pliers so you can tighten, and do the same for the other side.

Should take you about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In Germany I had to have an obnoxious long front plate. I drilled two holes behind the front bumper at the very bottom where the plastic mesh inserts are. If I could have I would have left it zip tied but that wasn't "secure." Apparently it's good enough for high flight risk criminals and high value targets that resist, but not enough for my 3 oz. plate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did not install mine. I just keep it in the cab, if I see a cop, I
just put in next to the windshield on the dash. Works every time.
:D
I tried that here in Ohio as I did not want to mount the front plate bracket. But displaying it in windshield is not securely mount to the front of the vehicle. Got a $85.00 ticket for it and had to show proof it was mounted to the front of the vehicle. So I hated to do it but had to drill the holes and mount it. Wish Ohio would freakin pass the one plate only bill.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I tried that here in Ohio as I did not want to mount the front plate bracket. But displaying it in windshield is not securely mount to the front of the vehicle. Got a $85.00 ticket for it and had to show proof it was mounted to the front of the vehicle. So I hated to do it but had to drill the holes and mount it. Wish Ohio would freakin pass the one plate only bill.
Refer to post #6,It is just a fixit ticket.I run no front plate,If i get a ticket i zip tie it on,Have it signed off.Only had to do it once in 9 yrs.:alfdance:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Been stopped twice in my life for no front plate, never had a car with one in about 19 years. Both times was just a warning, told the officer that the front end got swiped by someone that ran a red light and tore the front bumper and license plate off :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you run it the way I do, you don't drill any bumbers...no zip ties...no cops pulling you over, and no plates flying around inside the cab. Once you find those spring loaded butterflies and long screws from the hardware store, its an easy fix..

Look back on the previous post on this thread. I posted a pic and directions.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hawaiian Viper has the best soloution a permanant fix with no holes!! just ask for dry wall fixings at your local hardware store.

Ian.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Rare earth magnets glued to the inside of the plastic bumper and magnets on the back of the plate?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts