SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QUESTION?Leveling the truck/ rear shackle drop?????

I have had several Dodge ram trucks, the last being a Rumble bee. I had purchased a 2" drop shackle for it, only to realize it was for a 2wd. Since my Bee was 4x4 I could not use it. So I am wondering if this same leveling shackle could be used on the SRT, since it is 2wd. Will it interfere with the horizontal shock, leaf spring bumpers, and overall suspension function?...ect.

If anyone could give me pointers....I would appreciate it.

P.S. I am new to the post, so if this has already been discussed, please forgive. Also I have only had the truck a few weeks, so I have not had time to really check it out for myself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
t t t t t t t t t t t t

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
DarkSyde said:
What does the kit consist of, and what did you pay for it, if you dont mind me asking? :cool:

Thanks brutha, I am also looking for something like this!! :D

TJ
Me too!! I would like to know where to get some kind of leveling kit or lowering kit myself :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Lowering the RAM

srt10vipertruck said:
Me too!! I would like to know where to get some kind of leveling kit or lowering kit myself :)
The kits consist of 2" tapered steel blocks, 4 long shackles and 8 new locking nuts. This will lower the truck 2" in the rear.
They are from Richards Performance Muffler in Vista, CA # 760-758-7600, He will ship with a credit card. Richard is one of the most stand up guys I have ever delt with. Michele his wife is very nice and very cute also.
Richard put this program together and they work very well and are very easy to install.
Call Richard and tell him what you want, and that Jack said to call.
After 200-300 miles you will want to retorque the nuts on the shackles.
Your truck will sit level and handle better. The ride will be about the same.
I did notice that upon deceleration and braking from high speeds the tendency that the truck had stock to swerve left was all but gone. (BONUS)
Richard is a great fabricator and very helpful.........Jack

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
71demon said:
I have had several Dodge ram trucks, the last being a Rumble bee. I had purchased a 2" drop shackle for it, only to realize it was for a 2wd. Since my Bee was 4x4 I could not use it. So I am wondering if this same leveling shackle could be used on the SRT, since it is 2wd. Will it interfere with the horizontal shock, leaf spring bumpers, and overall suspension function?...ect.

If anyone could give me pointers....I would appreciate it.

P.S. I am new to the post, so if this has already been discussed, please forgive. Also I have only had the truck a few weeks, so I have not had time to really check it out for myself.
Regular 1500 Ram parts will not work on the SRT-10 truck. The rear axle is a Dana Super 60 and is unique to the SRT truck..........Jack
Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jack,
Will the 2" tapered blocks change the pinion angle of the rear end? Is the ride and handeling affected? Does the longer shackles stick out lower than the fender or bumper?
Any Pictures?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shackles??

The ones I have are Eibech lowering shackles, I think this would be better than blocks. They are for the regular Ram. I know the axles are different, but the shackles look the same, are they not?
IF ANYONE KNOWS IF THE SHACKLES ON OUR SRT'S ARE DIFFERENT, THAT WILL HELP THE DISCUSSION. MAYBE WE COULD CALL THE DEALER AND GET A PART # AND CROSS REFERENCE IT WITH THE STANDARD RAM. iF THEY ARE THE SAME, THEN THEY COULD WORK!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
p.s. I am talking about Shackles, that are connected to frame at the rear of the leaf spring. Not the U-bolts that hold the axle to the leafs.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
9 seconds said:
Derek,
I believe the "shackles" Jack spoke of are the U-bolts. They will replace the stock U-bolts.
Steve, Thanks I did mean U Bolts............Jack

·
Registered
974 Posts
fstjack said:
The kits consist of 2" tapered steel blocks, 4 long shackles and 8 new locking nuts. This will lower the truck 2" in the rear.
They are from Richards Performance Muffler in Vista, CA # 760-758-7600, He will ship with a credit card. Richard is one of the most stand up guys I have ever delt with. Michele his wife is very nice and very cute also.
Richard put this program together and they work very well and are very easy to install.
Call Richard and tell him what you want, and that Jack said to call.
After 200-300 miles you will want to retorque the nuts on the shackles.
Your truck will sit level and handle better. The ride will be about the same.
I did notice that upon deceleration and braking from high speeds the tendency that the truck had stock to swerve left was all but gone. (BONUS)
Richard is a great fabricator and very helpful.........Jack
Thx for the info Jack I'll be giving Richard a call :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wouldn't lowering the rear with blocks be a bad thing for performance? Seems it would allow a lot of extra leverage to be applied to letting the springs wrap up. A shackle would be better but if it's the same as on a 2002 up regular 1500 Ram you can't actually even get a true 2" drop from the shackle, the factory ones are very short to begin with. Us regular guys can get about a 2.5 inch drop using a combination of the shackle and a spring clamp to preload the overload spring which also helps with the launch. Again I doubt this would apply to the SRT though as it has that awesome setup from the factory. I think if it were mine I'd leave it alone, but function is always above form on my list!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have lowering shackles in the rear of my truck.

The lowering shackles are LONGER than the stock shackles. The have multiple holes for putting the rear right where you want it.

As for handling, the rear appears to be more in line, however, being that he shackle is longer it is actually worse My shackles are very stout and strong, however by being longer they still flex, more than stock. Some say the rear is more stiff, but stock shackles had rubber bushings, which didn't allow the Bolt through the shackle to move freely.
The aftermarket ones had Poly bushings and with grease they are extremely slippery and smooth.

There's my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now see a new problem with longer shackles. They would interfear with the exhaust system exit!! The stock shackle is very close as it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you sure longer on a Ram to lower it? Is that just on a SRT? If I had longer shackles it would definately raise the back. The aftermarket Shakles to lower a 2002 up 1500 ram are shorter the the factory ones. I realize the axle is flipped on the SRT-10 (the reason blocks will lower it rather then raise it like on a 1500) but I didn't think the shackles were reversed also. Where are those pictures of the rear suspension with the bed removed?

Well look at this pick of 9 sec's truck:
http://www.srt10forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90
I'd say a rear shackle on that truck that was longer then stock would raise it, not lower it. Are you talking about the front spring mount maybe?

·
Registered
599 Posts
the dodge has a different setup than the Ford.

Ford has the Verticle. The Top of the shackle holds the leafspring, the bottom of the shackle bolts to the frame. The longer the shackle the loewr the rear sits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts