SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to jump on here and inquire, but have been too busy.

Some serious tapping and ticking coming from my engine bay, always has been. I figure it's the lifters, because that's what it sounds like and the noise eminates from where the lifters would be. I understand there are 20 lifters workin and stuff, but this is ridiculous. I can hear if from inside the cab like a mofo.

Anyone else notice this? Is my baby sick or is this normal? :confused:

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Normal

Just take your truck to the dealer and ask them if what you are hearing is normal. It might give you peace of mind. And then please post what they say about the noise. The dealer explination might be a real hoot. The lifters make a lot of noise at idle in the truck V-10. The cam is a hydraulic roller. The lifters usually quiet down right off idle. I have not heard mine run since August 25th. It has been down for work and will be a while longer. But all good things take time. The final assembly on my motor will be next week. They will have the truck body finished in Semi Valley in about 2 weeks. Then we can set the motor back in and plumb the exhaust and intercooler. I want to drive it and stop spending money on it................Jack

·
Registered
220 Posts
cmicah83 said:
Been meaning to jump on here and inquire, but have been too busy.

Some serious tapping and ticking coming from my engine bay, always has been. I figure it's the lifters, because that's what it sounds like and the noise eminates from where the lifters would be. I understand there are 20 lifters workin and stuff, but this is ridiculous. I can hear if from inside the cab like a mofo.

Anyone else notice this? Is my baby sick or is this normal? :confused:
I'm not for sure, but I would say it's normal. Mine does it to. Not all the time, or at least not real loud. Don't ask me why, because I cannot remember, but a friend of mine that is very knowledgable, told me that it was normal coming from that motor! ( Like Jack said, Lifters on that motor do make alot of noise, because of the cam.) But if your really concerned, take it to the dealership, and ask them. They may know something, I doubt it, but they might. I don't think it's sick! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep,this is just the nature of the Viper Motor, and though I would take it in to the Dealer to verify, I am 99% sure it is normal. Hang in there and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealership is a joke. lol. ONly reason I bought from them is because I do paintwork for them and got a great deal. The service dept, on the otherhand, can smoke something and I'm not talking cigarettes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
mine makes same noise i left it sit awhile when building bigger garage and it was real loud till the lifters pumped up the oil just bleeds out when not ran for awhile

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Like Bill says the engine makes noise,but a couple things of interest. Do you run your truck hard?If so the oil will break down quicker. Do you idle long periods of time , traffic. The condition of the oil can have an affect on the amount of noise, I guess in other words how often do you change oil, or how long has it been, and does it do it worse right before or less right after oil changes. And not to start contraversy but if you sit in traffic alot or driver her hard a good bit you can up the viscosity grade on notch and see if it quietens the noise down some. And you can just try thicker oil and see if it gets quieter. The way it usually works is the thinner the oil , the quicker it breaks down, the noisier it will be. You can always run by a commercial truck center such as Catepillar and get a oil analisis sample and get it checked out for piece of mind.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keep in mind the new vehicles are recommending 0-40W on the Viper motores.The Mobil 1 at this multi-viscosity, is extremely thin at take up (starting ) and will weather greater heat variances. The oil may quiet things down a bit, but alot of the issue is little padding under the hood, and frankly an engine that has always had some valvetrain noise. I asked about my 2000 , as it seemed noisier than my 98, and comparing it to others in the shop , it was flat normal. Good luck and as always it is good to check, but I believe things are fine with your beast.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I can hear the lifters at idle along with the injectors and not being a previous SRT10/Viper owner but been around HiPo engines, it sounds Ok to me.

Site

·
Banned
582 Posts
Right, I Think It Could Be The Injectors Your Hearing?

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
It also could be the rattling of the marbles in his head now that he realizes what he paid for a pickup truck.lol :D

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
ahhh !
not just a pickup truck! A pickup truck with a viper engine/trans in it that can out handle most so-called sports cars :D and it's yellow :cool:

watch what you call just a pickup ;)

Site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts