Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MOTORWEEK reviews the SRT-10

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/search.shtml
(search under recent road tests)

004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
Program #2331

The Dodge Ram is one big tough truck, and a real performer. It can tow, haul and jump stumps with the best of them. But for the folks at Dodge's Performance Vehicle Operations, that just wasn't enough. They wanted their Ram to do it all, and that means covering performance from every direction. And boy, does this SRT-10 have that covered!

Covered in tire smoke that is! The smoke produced when you punch the go pedal of the Viper powered 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, the most macho pickup in Detroit history. Wearing a look that's part NASCAR race truck, part Frankenstein's monster, the Ram SRT-10 is the ultimate hot-rod cargo hauler from the tuners at Dodge PVO. Styling cues include a super-deep, race-style front fascia, muscular power dome hood with cool air intake, lower rear fascia, and a cargo box mounted fixed rear wing that actually works, producing a 165-pound reduction in rear lift, and one that can be removed to allow loading of large objects.

All sits atop the Ram 1500 super-stiff hydroformed frame and rides on a heavily modified performance suspension that's 1 inch lower in the front and 2 inches lower in the rear than stock. For grip, huge 22-inch Viper-style alloy wheels wearing 215/40 series Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires. Tucked behind the wheels are racy red calipers which clamp down on huge 15-inch front discs and 14-inch rear discs.

But all that pales in comparison to what's under the hood. The Ram SRT-10 gets its motivation from the same massive 8.3-liter aluminum-block pushrod V-10 that we covet in the Dodge Viper, and the same 500 horsepower, with a locomotive 525 pound-feet of torque. That's 120 horses and 75 pound-feet more than a Ford Lightning. The V-10 fits very deep and clean in the engine bay, leaving plenty of room for the installation of the inevitable aftermarket supercharger.

Power slams to the rear wheels through the Viper's Tremec 6-speed gearbox, which is controlled by the appropriate, cool-looking Hurst shifter. Hammer the right pedal, and the SRT-10 rocks to 60 in only 5.3 seconds. The quarter mile melts under its tires in 13.8 seconds at 104 miles-per-hour. With so much power we were a bit surprised that this was just one tenth faster than our last Ford Lightning. But remember that the Ram weighs almost 500 pounds more.

The Hurst shifter moves are generally positive, but a notchy second-to-third shift on our well-exercised test truck put the kibosh on any serious speed shifting. Max torque is available at only 1,500 rpm, and at full throttle unleashes a seemingly endless rush of power all the way down the drag strip. Drive at less than full throttle on the street, as you should, and the engine feels a bit restricted. This may be at least partially due to the exhaust, which features no less than four catalytic converters and one of the biggest mufflers that we've ever seen.

The SRT-10 balances its power with a PVO tuned suspension that includes Bilstein shocks and stiffer springs. And while is won't beat a Viper in corners, it is a pretty sharp handling pickup. Turn-in is naturally a bit slow, but grip is impressive, and reactions are quite refined for any truck. The firm springs and stiffer lower-profile tires do make it a bit nervous over bumps, but the modified Ram Heavy Duty steering is precise with plenty of feedback for easy corrections. Unless, that is, you really mash the gas pedal. Then the awesome power produces an equal amount of oversteer. It is a pickup truck after all.

There is also a respectable amount of feel through the soft brake pedal, as the big ABS-equipped discs haul the SRT-10 down from 60 in a good 123 feet. Again things can get a bit jittery over rough surfaces, but braking is rock solid on our smooth test track. There's a fair bit of nose dive, but no shortage of braking power.

Street ride quality is much like that of the Ram's Viper cousin. It's not jarring, but you definitely feel every ripple in the road. But what really impressed us was how docile the SRT-10 was when it needed to be. Small throttle inputs are returned with just the right amount of power. It's actually easy to stay within the law in the SRT-10.

Inside, the SRT-10 is a welcoming, spacious Ram, with an extra dose of alloy and carbon look trim to spice things up, and a red starter button to bring this Viper brother to life. More spice for life comes from the 508-watt audio system, with a massive Infinity subwoofer that will turn your brain to mush even faster than a Viper V-10. There's also a new instrument cluster with silver-face gauges and big leather-clad bucket seats with plenty of back and side support.

All in all, it's a lot of truck, and it will set you back a lot of money, $45,795. But think about it. That's just over half the price of the Viper roadster, and you can still show this one off at Home Depot.

The Dodge Performance Vehicle Operations team have worked their magic well. Our time with the Ram SRT-10 convinced us that there's nothing this impressively versatile and surprisingly sophisticated full-size monster pickup can't do in style. Whether it's hauling freight or hauling Ðwell, you know Ðthe 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 has all the performance bases, not only covered, they're smothered!

·
Registered
189 Posts
and thats Not good for dodge HOW?

IF you refer to the bold text talking about 13.8 in the 1/4, Other mags have gotten 13.1's and even 12.9's. 9 Seconds got a 13.5. How is that not good for dodge? please explain

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It didn't look too bad to me. The 1/4 mile stuff doesn't look good for an L either. 13.9? Claims that an L was just a 13.9 truck would get some pretty harsh resposes I'm sure. The rest of the article seems pretty much on.

Now, SOMEONE PLEASE get to the track and run faster than me. I don't want to be the poster child any more.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BoogyMan said:
I'll say it again.

Go away troll.

gimme a break.

I want to read where it got 12.9 by a magazine!
Please post the information and I'll shut the hell up.

·
Registered
447 Posts
WickedSVT:
This is called a summary:
"Whether it's hauling freight or hauling <ETH>well, you know <ETH>the 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 has all the performance bases, not only covered, they're smothered!"
A summary is a short, comprehensive statement of what has previously been said.
And this is bad for Dodge how?

Q: Are Lightning owners running around the Chevy forums bolding one-liners from reviews about the SS or SSR ?
Just curious.

·
Registered
235 Posts
9 seconds said:
It didn't look too bad to me. The 1/4 mile stuff doesn't look good for an L either. 13.9? Claims that an L was just a 13.9 truck would get some pretty harsh resposes I'm sure. The rest of the article seems pretty much on.

Now, SOMEONE PLEASE get to the track and run faster than me. I don't want to be the poster child any more.

lol, sorry man. You were the first person with a ram srt-10, so therefore you are like the ambassador. You have to show it can be done!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wikdsvt said:
115 mph is fast enough for a mid 11 second run.
No way trap speed for 11.9 are around 120 mph..what are you smoking..

·
Registered
70 Posts
9 seconds said:

Man, this is some funny chit!!...LMAO! I'm glad I'm not the only one referencing your 13.5 1/4 mile time...It was a nice write-up on the truck. I see others referencing your time on other boards also.

Seems like you still hold the fastest time in stock trim as an owner! I think it's going to be a hard time for other to beat, stock and with the cool weather going away. Summer is going to be real interesting...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
THOR01 said:
Summer is going to be real interesting...
Or maybe real boring as the air temps are going up as you referenced. On the other hand, it's always chilly out with nitrous.;) Maybe I can still have some fun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
9 seconds said:
Or maybe real boring as the air temps are going up as you referenced. On the other hand, it's always chilly out with nitrous.;) Maybe I can still have some fun.
I have no doubt your going to have fun with a 200hp shot of nitrous, along with the new clutch/lw.flywheel, new air inlet mod, and any additional mods you have in the works.

You guys really need the tires and traction bars in MHO. Once you get something going on that end, there will be closer racing and I believe the SRT will put up impressive numbers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
From MotorTrends truck of the year article. If your cruising through the mags Wild, heres another one for ya with some better results.

You can't keep a truck down on the farm anymore. At 4.8 seconds from rest to 60 mph, the Dodge SRT-10 isn't really a truck or a car--it's a performance animal. Tromp the right pedal, and the big Dodge runs with the likes of the BMW M5, SVT Cobra, Maserati Coupe, Subaru Impreza WRX STi, and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Considering the SRT-10's 5000-pound heft and decided front-weight bias, the fact that drivers can easily keep all 500 horses hooked up makes that accomplishment all the more remarkable. Neil Chirico comments, "The world of high-performance trucks has a new champ"--at least until Ford SVT answers with the next supercharged Lightning, due for 2005.

What's even more remarkable is how tame the SRT-10's 525 pound-feet of torque is. Around town, there's enough torque to pull ahead in the higher gears from as little as 600 rpm. Cog selection is bolt-action smooth with the SRT-10's honest-to-goodness Hurst shifter. Driven aggressively, the Dodge tugs at the leash like a pit bull chasing a sausage, running 13.19 seconds at 107.07 mph in the quarter mile. Editors liked the Viper V-10's choppy idle emanating from under the SRT-10's hood, but some lamented the lack of a proper V-8 rumble. John Matthius writes, "The exhaust note is still a high-pitched trombone, but it softly pops and burbles in a muscular way when backing off." Back off? No way!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I specifically asked about the 13.19 magazine time from the PVO/SRT guys. They said that they were not involved with their times. They just gave them the truck. What they did tell me was that heat soak on the intake manifold and fuel rails was an area that improvements could be made. Several agreed when one of the guys said you could take 0.5 seconds from your time by putting ice on that gigantic intake manifold. I'd like to test that out. I drove 1 hr. to the track before I made my first run.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THe superchargers on the lightning are the same way (GIANT hEAT SOURCES)
so I and many others have done,

2 things.

1. block off the EGR valve (pipe from exhaust to intake to burn, unburnt gases in the exhaust) that really helped keep the intake cool

2. and most important, we made phenolic spacers to go between the S/C and the intake. The Phenolic material does not allow heat to pass through it. I can drive all day, pop open the hood and put me hand on the intake and it is COOL. (not hot or even warm) Before you could fry eggs on it no problem.
Its not made of metal, it kinda a manmade compressed fiber and metal material, Looks like Compressed carbon but it is really light.

http://www.miloc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112
(phenolic spacer the michigan lightning guys made)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at ceramic coatings. Later this summer, I'm going to put a Gen II intake on my truck (been told 30+ hp in it). I hoped to have something figured out by then. My thoughts were if I could make a heat transfer resistant box around the underside of the intake (was thinking ceramic coated aluminum), then I could find a use for the cooler air that comes through the hood scoop. As a heads up, intake gasket for the GEN III Viper engine are $45.................each side!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
9 seconds said:
Thanks for the info. I have been looking at ceramic coatings. Later this summer, I'm going to put a Gen II intake on my truck (been told 30+ hp in it). I hoped to have something figured out by then. My thoughts were if I could make a heat transfer resistant box around the underside of the intake (was thinking ceramic coated aluminum), then I could find a use for the cooler air that comes through the hood scoop. As a heads up, intake gasket for the GEN III Viper engine are $45.................each side!
dude this is great. this is what the forum should be about. a furd guy (along with 9 seconds)-has gave me some of the best info in a long time. thanks for being so cool.-no pun intended :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
BOOMER said:
dude this is great. this is what the forum should be about. a furd guy (along with 9 seconds)-has gave me some of the best info in a long time. thanks for being so cool.-no pun intended :D
agreed, but keep it on the DL. I have a reputation to protect :D

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
ok i am a hypocrit (i cant spell either)

Wikdsvt said:
agreed, but keep it on the DL. I have a reputation to protect :D
i ordered a supercharger from roe racing & i am installing their VEC2 module this weekend. so all of you L guys be ready. yes i am stooping to the forced induction level but i am so crazy about hp i cant help myself. :D :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Toe said:
From MotorTrends truck of the year article. If your cruising through the mags Wild, heres another one for ya with some better results.
Toe,

Sorry, I have a hard time believing that Motor Trend aquired a truck from SRT and did 13.1 without some effort on their part to help the truck get that time. The reason I say that, Motor trend had a another SRT RAM earlier that they couldn't get into the 13's. Then they pull off a 13.1? The story smells already.

Write in and aske them what all they did to the truck to get that time. It may be in a mag. When your selling something to the public. You need an article to get them to buy. Ford gave the mag's a select few mustang cobra's in 99 to test with the correct advertised hp rating. Unfortunetly Ford didn't do the same for the customers buying them. All manufacturers have done this from time to time.

They helped that truck. Seeing what the other owners are averaging at the track stock. Now way! Don't take everything a mag says to be true! They are out to sell mag.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts