SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Snuglid should be here in about 2 weeks and I plan to mount the spoiler on it. I know that this has been discussed before, but I am still not clear on a couple of points, i.e. the rear fasteners.

I plan to run carrage bolts through the Snuglid and up in to the 4 bolt holes currently in the front of the base of the spoiler. That's kind of a no brainer, but I am stumped on how to mount the rear 2 fastners (the ones that fit into the keyhole bracklets that are on the rear of the spoiler base). Those 2 bolts (with the large shoulder that bears on the top lip of the bed rail), appear to short to be inserted down through a hole in the Snuglid and have enough threads to put a lock nut on.

Also, does the hump on the spoiler base that fits into the stake pocket need to be removed or can I just cut a slot in the Snuglid to fit it in to. I hate to do any cutting on the stock spoiler and potentially reduce its value.

I would appreciate any comments or solutions from anyone in the forum that has solved these problems. Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
I installed the wing on my snug fit top and ran into the same things you are talking about. With the both sets of bolts I got 1/2" longer bolts to allow for the lock washer and a flat washer, etc. I put a flat washer on to first to spread the bolt pressure over a bigger area, then the lock washer to preventing it from cracking the top when I tightened the mounting bolt.
For the wing ridge I took a Lemmer high speed disc and cut out the slot on the top for the ridge to slip into. You have to make the ridge slot about 1/2 to 3/4" longer to allow the ridge on the wing to slide on the surface of the top as you remount the wing onto the mounts. The wing has a rubber gasket around the base to seal it off from moisture once you tighten it up, not that you have to worry.
I've tested mine to 135 mph and not a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your response. Did you use any bolts at the rear of the base where the keyhole brackets are ? I took my spoiler off yesterday to examine the mounting but I did not fold back the gasket around the keyhole slot to see what is under it. I must have missed something. If it stops raining, I will go out side tomorrow and take it apart again and see what is under the gasket. 135 mph Wow that is fast enough for me.

Another bit of info: I contacted my local Dodge Dealer Parts Department and they ordered the 2005 Ram Service Manual on CD for me. They contacted DC and it is suppose to include SRT-10. We'll see. Cost is $90. Part # 8137005059CD.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Snuglid SL

I had a Snugtop Snuglid SL installed on mine. The difference being one lock in the middle for emergency use. And a remote or your garage remote to pop the solenoid that opens and pops the top. Also comes carpeted underneath. The problem is if the solenoid fails a key won't fit under the wing because it uses a full size key. So, I am rigging a cable from the emergency release under the cover to the front of the bed. The solenoid system is sweet so far.

Good luck.
Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ed for the good info.
I just got home from from the Snuglid dealer. They installed a Snuglid SL also. Boy is it nice. The dealer cut off the front edge on the Dodge factory bed liner that came with my SRT-10 so that the lid fit perfectly. They did not have to cut the lip off of the tail gate cover as the SL fit very nicely over it and the tail gate cover lip protects the tail gate edge - the part that everyone hits when they load something. Interesting enough, I cannot open my tailgate with out rasing the lid part way, I guess that provides a kind of lock on the tailgate itself.

I did not get the remote lock, my dealer said that was an option, that could install later. My next step is to install the spoiler. I was hoping that the center key lock would be accessable under the spoiler under the wing. Haven't done any measurements, but from what you said I guess that I have a problem. First, I'll try to modify the key to some kind of "L" configuration, if that doesn't work then I try changing the lock - if I can find one with a shorter key, worst case, I'll have the remote release installed. Your emergency release sounds like a good plan. Later

·
Registered
44 Posts
Snuglid SL

Kaholo,
Let me know if you have any luck with a smaller lock and key. I don't think the stock key can work if it is like mine. It burries in the lock and is a long key. But I have not modified one yet.

Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ed - update on the Key
Completed the installation of the spoiler on my Snuglid SL today. The spoiler seemed to be slightly twisted. It warp the Snuglid a little bit, and the right side latch now seems a little bit loose, so I might have to have the dealer realign it. The spoiler was not a perfect fit on the metal bed of the truck originally. I assume that Dodge has some problems with fiberglass distorting or taking a set.

I cut down a key so that it will fit under the lid. I cut through the SnugTop lettering - reduced the height about 7/16". Smoothed it up,rounded the corners and drilled a new hole so that I could put it on a key ring. Works ok. Think I'll live with that for a while. I checked with my Dealer and they quoted me $300 for the electronic remote opening. They said they would have to disable my Dodge factory alarm system and install their new alarm system with their remote to make it work. That doesn't sound quite right to me. I think I'll check the SnugTop web site.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. Both front and back bolts had to be 1/2" longer to reach the threads of the wing, however I extended them to 3/4" and installed a flat washer and a lock washer. That gives the bolt a bigger surface area to displace the pressure and the lockwasher locks the bolt in place. I've checked them a few times last summer and everything seems to be staying tight and no cracks or wear showing.
The lock on my cover is on the end and it's no problem inserting the key but I can see someone already figured out how to get around your problem.
I'm going to check into the service C/D tomorrow.
I was in another Dodge dealership the other day and spotted a 2004 SRT 10 Banner with the big red one as the most powerful truck in the world and the other side reads 505 cu. in., 500 hp., and 525 ft.lb. of torque. Its about 5' tall and 1.5' wide which I hang in the basement right now. These poor guys didn't get there ordered SRT 10 last year and were really pissed. When I told them I had one they gave it to me, which was great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
456 said:
I was in another Dodge dealership the other day and spotted a 2004 SRT 10 Banner with the big red one as the most powerful truck in the world and the other side reads 505 cu. in., 500 hp., and 525 ft.lb. of torque.

See Now everyone knows... IT's In Writing from DODGE... If Red is the most powerful, then it has to be THE FASTEST COLOR!!! Are you Red with ENVY?? :D :) :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Snuglid SL Update

Kaholo,
Wasn't sure I followed what you said. Is your key lock in the center of your top like mine? Mine has one large key that activates the two mechanisms and requires reasonble pressure to activate. In my case it is only for if my solenoid was to fail.

Anyhow, I went to a locksmith and he took an Ilco key blank which is all metal and has a larger top section. We were able to cut it into an "L" shape and it goes in fine and is easier than a key ring. I tried that first.

My wing is not a perfect fit on the snuglid either. But the only flaw seems to be at just the right angle you can see a very slight gap.

Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your support.
456 - found out that I can insert the stock key, just have tip it into the key slot (parallel to the slot). Not to handy for a fumble fingers, but it works and, awesome Banner. If I had one, I would hang it in the living room, (well, she who must be obeyed might have a different opinion).
Ed - Good info on the key blank manufacturer. I will contact a local locksmith. Finally ran down a price for the kit to add the remote opener to my SL. $170 plus shipping from American Campers in Carson Ca., SnugTop does not sell retail. How is yours wired in ? American Campers said to run a hot wire from the battery to the solenoid. Wouldn't current flow set off my Factory alarm ?
Time to finish up the spoiler installation - must paint those shinny silver fender washers flat black and re-glue the rubber trim I pulled loose.
Kevin, I spent some time in Alaska. Don't know about the fastest, but Red is probably the safest color drive in Anchorage. As it contrasts vividly with a white back round. Couldn't mistake your truck for a black bear or a fast moose. Later.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Snuglid SL

Kaholo,
I bought mine from a dealer in Tampa who installed the lid, spoiler, and wired to direct to battery but with a in line fuse to protect circuit and solenoid etc.,. They charged me $1,169. Snugtop quoted me about $1,250 I think plus shipping and I would have to install myself. It is a pricey setup but well worth it considering the investment in the truck.

Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Womsterr, I know you were asking Ed, but as a reference, here in Hawaii, I paid $1,280 out the door, for a Snuglid SL including tax and shipping, prepainted and clearcoated by SnugTop and installed by Karbiz Associates Inc. in Aiea, HI. I am very pleased with the installation, service and the product. Karbiz quoted me $300 to add the remote keyless entry, and I chose not to do it at this time. I have some background in electronics and I am always leery of connecting add on components to a computer controlled vehicle. Sometimes it can cause strange codes and malfunctions. Since I only occasionally place things in the bed, I do not open the tonneau very often, and the key lock is working for me at this time.

My only picky criticism is that the edge of the lid does not seem to be painted and I can see the white fiberglass – you have to get underneath the lid to see it. That is a minor issue and eventually I'll do some touch up of the edge (note: it is not the outer surface of the lid).

The paint quality appears to be very good, and my Dealer suggested that I wait a month to clay and wax it. That is suppose to allow the paint to setup and thoroughly harden, although I can see that it was buffed out by SnugTop before shipping. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i decided togo with the sprint lid they delivred it on friday ,i like that lid because it sits inside the width of the bed ,mounts easy with gas struts complete with carpet underneeth. came painted yellow to match and it came out surprisingly well.do not have to touch spoiler,stays in stock mounts.will mount lid in a few days ,will post pics you guys tell me what you think.lid will only open when spoiler is removed ,i'm fine with that because i will not be opening the lid at all just cosmetic.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Glad you got it mounted and with covering the bolts I just pulled the liner back over the bolts.
"Dread the Red One" the most powerful truck in the world!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Snuglid SL

Womsterr,
Yes it came painted and matches exactly. I just gave them the PR4 paint code. They never saw the truck before installation. They are almost two hours from me but were the only dealer anywhere near me.

Ed

·
Registered
732 Posts
beastly1

what lid did you install im lookin at one for my yellow fever
pics please when you get a chance

·
Registered
123 Posts
HAY ROLEX did not install cover yet will do so when back from vacation ,will post pics,this weighs about 70lbs,had the factory paint the lid ,came out great,matched perfectly.this lid works for me cause i have no intentions,of opening lid.the lid sits in between spoiler no need to relocate it .bedrug carpet underneeth looks real neat.installition looks real simple, straight forward.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts