SRT10 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,633 Posts
I don't know Tom,

After spending all the time I did with Torrie at the PCB GTG, I'm certain Sandy got exactly what I needed and asked for the day he got "The Wolf" tuned

V2

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got mine from DC performance along with my SCT tuner.

http://www.dcperformance.com/Products/218.html
I can't explain it as well as others, but I'll give it a try. The thermostat has no direct connection to the temp sensor. The factory thermostat (I believe) is a 195 degree unit. Below 195 degrees, it limits the flow of coolant through it forcing the coolant inside the engine to remain inside the engine, thus heating up the engine faster.

Once the temperature of the coolant approaches 195 degrees, the thermostat begins to open to allow coolant flow through the radiator. Once the thermostat is fully open, it stays fully open and doesn't do anything more until you shut the engine down, then it will slowly close again over about an hour.

Putting a 170 degree thermostat into the engine without any other changes will only succeed in having the thermostat open earlier, when the temperature reaches 170 degrees instead of waiting until it hits 195 degrees. Once it is open, it is open and does little more to vary the temperature of the engine. That job belongs to the fan.

If you get a performance tune, the fan will kick on earlier than it normally would, say at 175 degrees to keep the engine running cooler. With a performence tune, the fan will run more frequently to keep the engine running cooler.

From what I've learned over the last year, these engines LIKE heat, and perform better at higher temperatures. Personally, I run a 170 degree thermostat and a tune to keep my temps around 180 degrees. I feel this will increase the longevity of all my underhood components. At PCB, my temps were running 190 degrees in town, and I creeped up to 200 degrees on the way to the track. Course, I was trying to keep up with the pack who were all running considerably faster than the posted limit at times.

One last note, if you were to run a tune that cools the engine, but don't change your thermostat, the fan will be running trying to cool the engine down to 180 degrees, yet the thermostat will prevent this from happening. All you'll succeed in doing is wearing down your poor fan. If you run the tune, get the thermostat (umm, Chief, you read that??)
What I don't understand is how that thermostat closes. I know how a regular thermostat works, I just don't understand how these work as they don't close. The best we could tell, the nipple of the thermostat goes in to a little hole where the sensor is on the solid piece of aluminum. It doesn't appear to do anything other than maybe that copper nipple gives the sensor a temp. reading. There are no moving parts on it to close or do any moving other than maybe a little back and forth of the spring/nipple.

When the mechanic went to change mine, the stock one had 185 stamped on it.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I can't answer that one for you buddy unless I pull mine out and take a look at it. I understand what you're saying though... anyone else have a clue to answer his question? Good to know that the stock one is 185 degrees... thanks.

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
Here is a Link to the MotoRad Fail Safe T-Stat. At the bottom of the page is a Video that show Exactly what it does and how it does it....

It should answer the question on how they work... :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here is a Link to the MotoRad Fail Safe T-Stat. At the bottom of the page is a Video that show Exactly what it does and how it does it....

It should answer the question on how they work... :)
I watched the video and understand a "regular" thermostat. Our thermostats (like spudracer posted a picture of) don't EVER close. I really don't understand their purpose. The thermostat in spuds picture, the one from the store, and the one off my truck are very different than a "regular" one like in the video. I have to be missing something obvious here.

Maybe I'm not being clear in my question, but I don't know how else to explain it in print. :crying:

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
There is another one that is on the market that has a "V" notch cut inside the Valve assy which will allow water/fluid to flow at all times, even when closed. As the engine heats up and the valve opens more fluid can then pass through.

Link Here

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All - I am hoping someone can help......I am in the UK and not sure where you guys get the tuning to reduce the engine temp??? Obviously I can buy a Thermostat but need the re-map - how do I do this??

21 - 27 of 27 Posts