SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have any tricks of the trade techniques for removing road striping paint. Yeah I was fortunate enough to drive through some and now I have yellow paint all around the wheel wells and down the side of my truck. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I had paint on one of my trucks from running into a puddle of it.
I had it detailed. The guy used a clay bar to get it off. If you had a good coat of wax on it, it shouldn't be too hard. As for the wheel wells probably a scouring pad??

·
Registered
974 Posts
SRTFirefighter said:
I was wondering if any of you have any tricks of the trade techniques for removing road striping paint. Yeah I was fortunate enough to drive through some and now I have yellow paint all around the wheel wells and down the side of my truck. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Well if the city's fault you got it on your truck. I would talk with the city manager about getting it fixed. But if it's yours, wow sorry dood major bummer.
On the wheels wells I would use paint thinner, shouldn't hurt the plastic as for the paint I would try asking a paint shop whats the best thing on the market for that..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've done research at work making the polymers in road paint. Most of ours will soften significantly at about the temperature water boils, 100 C. If all else fails, try streaming it off.

Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
732 Posts
spoke to a body guy after reading this

they wipe the truck down with a rag damp with thinner

i did not try it but they doo it to brand new cars before they wax them

JD

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll toss in my suggestion for a non-solvent: GooGone.
It might take a couple of applications, but I've had great results with it.

If you bring the truck over again, you can use my GooGone. Hell, I'll even do the first pair of apps. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
i asked that freind of mine, he really has no idea what to do. although i would be sceptical about using thinner on the paint, in the wheel wells its a different story but the paint??? :confused: ... the steamer might do the trick we use one around our house alot but it may warp or distort the paint on the car... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input fellas. I got most of it off yesterday using bug and tar remover and a plastic spatula/ squeege. Just have to let the bug and tar remover soak in and use a couple of coats. Then basically chip the specks away with the spatula. Got all except the screws and bolts still have some paint on them,so... not too bad. Thanks again.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts