SRT10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
I agree, Jason. Very few aftermarket rims fit our trucks so well. Now... an Audi or Mercedes? I'd put custom rims on them all day long, especially in gunmetal gray or black.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A little more progress on the new wheel/tire upgrade. The bed has been at the painters for a few wheels now getting ready for paint. He rolled the fenders for me and we also redid the side exhaust mounting to make it work better. Hopefully it will be completed by the end of February and I can then get it remounted and double check the wheel offset before ordering wheeels. The rear axle was shortened and we got a little mock up of how the wheels/tires will look.

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Waiting in breathless anticipation for this build to be completed!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Waiting in breathless anticipation for this build to be completed!
Me to. Painter has taken longer than I anticipated but he does such a good job at such a great price I can't push too hard for him to hurry. He is an amazing airbrush artist too. He painted this on the fender of my Saleen to replace the emblem.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A little more progress. The underside has been finished in a tintable undercoating and the bed has been primered and is getting painted today. A lot of work was done to make this look stock. We even went so far as to weld in rounded edges on the floor ridges that meet the wheel tubs.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Daggone that DOES look stock!

·
Registered
731 Posts
IMHO the stock wheels are the only ones that look good on our trucks. I looked pretty hard at the Rodtana wheels but didn't care for the flat look of the spokes. I really like the concave look so had to get custom wheels made. My only hope is that they look different enough that they won't be confused with the stock wheels. I tend to like the subtle changes that are not blarringly obvious but car people pick up on. Truck comes back from the chassis shop tomorrow and then it will be another 10-12 weeks for the wheels to get completed.
Your truck is going to look fantastic. The whole "wider wheel"/"tub" thought is definitely something I am looking at.

However, it's always interesting to hear of different tastes. I agree that the stock wheel look is by far the best--IMO, and like you, I like subtle changes. Consequently, it's interesting that you don't care for the flat look of the Rotanda wheels. That flat, non radius front is exactly why I chose the wheels I did. They are knock offs of the true SRT10 wheel (I said I would never run imitations on my truck--never say never), but that flat look maintained the same style, yet created something a little different. I actually think they look slightly larger than the 22's because of the more angular front.

Either way, your truck is going to get a lot of compliments for all the right reasons. It's well thought out....nice work. I would love to be able to see it in person.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Your truck is going to look fantastic. The whole "wider wheel"/"tub" thought is definitely something I am looking at.

However, it's always interesting to hear of different tastes. I agree that the stock wheel look is by far the best--IMO, and like you, I like subtle changes. Consequently, it's interesting that you don't care for the flat look of the Rotanda wheels. That flat, non radius front is exactly why I chose the wheels I did. They are knock offs of the true SRT10 wheel (I said I would never run imitations on my truck--never say never), but that flat look maintained the same style, yet created something a little different. I actually think they look slightly larger than the 22's because of the more angular front.

Either way, your truck is going to get a lot of compliments for all the right reasons. It's well thought out....nice work. I would love to be able to see it in person.
Do you have some pictures of your truck with the Rodtanda's on it? What size did you end up getting and what size tire are you running?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Seethrough, those tires are comically large and boarder on the ridiculous, but the build quality and originality is heads and shoulder above what could have been done to acheive this goal and I am eagerly awaiting finished pics!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Do you have some pictures of your truck with the Rodtanda's on it? What size did you end up getting and what size tire are you running?
No, No....I didn't have Rotanda's...I was saying that I liked their flat face

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Seethrough, those tires are comically large and boarder on the ridiculous, but the build quality and originality is heads and shoulder above what could have been done to acheive this goal and I am eagerly awaiting finished pics!!
I wasn't going for ridiculous but I will take that as a compliment. I always loved the look of the early 70s Road Runners and GTXs with the larger rear tire tucked up into the fender so I was going for that look. The end result will be proof of whether I made it look right or odd. Here is the latest picture of the inside of the bed painted and clear coated. I shared a few beers with the painter before he sprayed the clear so it may take a little more time to get the runs wet sanded. :icon16:

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Looking really nice, you have a good painter!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Lookin good, what's status on rims?
I won't be ordering rims until I get the truck back and can double and then triple check the backspacing. Custom wheels are way to expensive to make a mistake with so I want to make absolutely sure before I place the order. The design work is done and paid for so once I have the measurements it will be about 7 weeks to get the wheels made and delivered.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Exterior of the bed is painted. Some wet sanding and buffing and it will be ready to go back on.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
One more.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Custom wheels were ordered several weeks ago and are expected any day now. I will get tires mounted and see how they fit. Pictures are sure to follow.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wheels finally arrived. Mounting rear tires and test fitting them tomorrow.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts