SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found I had an intermittent problem in my new QC. Sometimes she wouldn't start in Park, but would start in Neutral. It didn't take long to discover that the illuminated square around the P (for Park) on the dash sometimes wasn't lit, and if I wiggled the shifter, I could get the square to illuminate, and then the engine would start.

I then looked down at the transmission for a way to adjust the linkage. I got a little concerned when I pulled the electrical connector off the transmission near the linkage and found it saturated with transmission fluid (the surrounding transmission is clean and dry), but cleaned it out and then focused my search under the dash. It was there that I discovered a white plastic clip that one must push 3/4 of the way off, and the shifter linkage assembly can slide back and forth to adjust. Once you get it where you want it, you push the white plastic clip back in place, and the linkage is secured. It took several tries to get it where the squares would light properly and consistently in each gear. Now it shifts correctly, and starts every time.

If anyone's noticed this problem, there's the solution.

·
Registered
104 Posts
when my wife test drove the srt and she went to put it in park she said it wouldnt go into park. me and the salesman thought she was crazy but later in the week after we got it, it seemed like it wouldnt go into park. but it was in park but didnt light up in park just reverse. and if i let my foot off the brake and the truck moved the p lit up.
i will check the clip.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope it helps, let me know if I can help you.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Hope it helps, let me know if I can help you.
Thanks Spud. It is often hard-won tips like this than can make a big difference when someone runs across a similar problem and can read the solution(s) on this site.

Some of the information comes after YEARS of working in the performance realm and, in that case, can save someone considerable grief and THOUSANDS of dollars (IF they listen) ;).

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I brought mine in for service for this problem as soon after I purchased it. I had no problem starting though, just wouldn't light up.

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
Spud, have had the EXACT same problem a few times. I had the dealer look at it once and got the standard "No Problem Found" answer. The "Wolf" goes back in for an oil change in about 1500 miles and will make sure to have them look at your fix.....

Thanks a ton... :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I brought mine in for service for this problem as soon after I purchased it. I had no problem starting though, just wouldn't light up.
my friend said most rams you can turn the key back just a little and shut off the dash power. no miles added then. tried on mine but wouldnt work. just shut off.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been several trucks with this problem lately, so I've decided to (at least temporarily) make this thread "sticky" to keep it easy to find.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Spud, have had the EXACT same problem a few times. I had the dealer look at it once and got the standard "No Problem Found" answer. The "Wolf" goes back in for an oil change in about 1500 miles and will make sure to have them look at your fix.....

Thanks a ton... :)
Chief, I just did it to my truck. Tom is correct as to the loaction, but it has nothing to do with the throttle. It's the shifter cable that he adjusted. The proper way is to disconnect the cable from the transmission linkage (just pops off), then push the transmission lever all the way back towards the back of the truck (this is park), then pull out the white clip under the steering column, re-attach the cable on to the linkage and then push the white clip back in. So, when u go into the dealership, tell the to adjust the shifter cable. If they give you that dumb look, tell them not to worry about it and I'll do it for you in Panama. Takes 10 minutes to do.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good catch Steve, I edited the post, many thanks..

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just test drove a 2005 QC that did this. it was the only sketchy thing about the entire truck. i'm glad to hear it's not a big deal. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Spud. It is often hard-won tips like this than can make a big difference when someone runs across a similar problem and can read the solution(s) on this site.

Some of the information comes after YEARS of working in the performance realm and, in that case, can save someone considerable grief and THOUSANDS of dollars (IF they listen) ;).

Ronnie
i totally agree with u here. real times are being discussed here and with suggestions and solutions like those, a lot of them can be sorted out without much hassle or more expenses.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes! I have that problem. Thought is was my shift points. Thanks SPUD!!!!

I'll have the dealer check the shifter cable when I take the QC in for an OIL change and tire rotation this weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Both of my QCs do this every now and then....east way around it...move the column shift into neutral and press start. Works every time.
If the truck is parked on level ground, it does not click into park. Mine have to roll a little forward or backward once shifted into park, to actually show the letter P on the indicator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
929 rider I know on my RC that I can turn the key back 1 knotch while driving down road & it will kill all electronic parts but engine will keep runing you can't shift either bc of no power to the synchronizers I'm sure it's not good to do that tho I was told the same thing you was so I had to try it... lol

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had my 10 for just over a year and this has happened twice. Thanks for the info this should save me $$ at the dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my truck, I've went as far as taking my whole remote start viper alarm out because I thought I had a bad viper alarm :( my auto tech installer couldn't figure out why my truck would not start so he decided to take out the alarm to see if the truck did it again with out the viper alarm and sure enough it did with the stock alarm. The only way he could get my truck to start was taking the terminals of the battery and holding them together to drain all power than after a minute of holding them together as soon as he put the terminals back on the truck would start right up. Maybe when he did this the circle showed up around the P and we just didn't notice this. Now I have something to tell the dealership when I drop it off because I was honestly just waiting for this to happen to my truck again than just tow it to the dealership and tell them "this is my issue" thanks to everyone in this thread I've learned so much here !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm here at my appointment at Carmax right now and they found my problem , "neutral safety switch" has worn contacts which makes the truck think it's in reverse when it's really in park , guy at service department said this is the first time he ever heard of this situation and first time he had to order this part. Hope this info helps someone out , I'll have my truck back by tomorrow or Friday due to the part having to be ordered .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts