SRT10 Forum banner

No steering controls or Horn!

4K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  CreepysVIPER 
#1 ·
It seems the more I brag about our trucks reliability, the more problems I have.

After 6 weeks at the dealer, and having the power steering pump, reservoir, lines, rack & pinion, fan and battery replaced...

I have had my truck back 1 day and the Airbag light comes on and stays on. I also realized that I have no steering wheel controls (cruise, volume, etc.).

I checked all of the fuses and relays, they are good. Also had the truck scanned for codes. No codes thrown!

:34:
Help please!!

#2 ·
I don't know bro that sux but maybe you should stop bragging lol

#7 ·
Clockspring is behind the steering wheel and driver side airbag. That is the name.

#9 ·
these steering wheels have a notch.. if your steering wheel is off, you need an alignment or you have a tire low on air...

the clockspring is a dealer installed part since it has to do with the airbag...

i think it was $150 or so? i just did it a month ago...

#10 · (Edited)
are they fine splines or a thick notch?.....the reason i ask is because ive seen punk techs clock the wheel instead of doing a (full) alignment...or if the wheels were pointing a lil off after the alignment ( but square to one another)the easy fix although not right is to clock the wheel one spline leaving the wheel a touch off center........if its a thick notch this is obviously not possible...if so this would explain the problem with the clock spring, the tech prob porked it up when putting it back together!

#11 ·
it's splined but has 2 or 3 splines that are "together" if you you will...

you can't put it on wrong;)

#13 ·
Lol thats right bro we do have the baddest truck on the planet baby

#14 ·
I would be back in the Service Managers Face and explain that he would have to prove one of his idiots did not hose it up..... There are some dealer techs that will mess with your ride when they have it just to "Drum Up" more repairs.

I would and have put the Service Manager on notice that if I EVER think that sort of "Stuff" happens to one of my rides I will take my money to another dealer.... :) :) :) :)

#15 ·
I have an appointment Monday to take it back to the dealer.

Their first response was "It's not our fault, we didn't touch the steering wheel!" ,
then I asked, "Well, how did you install a new Rack and Pinion without touching the Steering Wheel!!!"

I guess I will have to raise some hell on Monday!

Thanks guys, at least now, I have an educated guess on what could be wrong

#16 ·
You gotta love when they right away say it's not our fault. You didn't even look at it yet to know what's wrong, yet you already know it's not your fault. Some dealers, they make us all look bad.

#17 ·
this is the first thing, they had no clue to what they were doing, which is evident by there process

"I dont knwo what it is, so lets replace everything until it quits"
seriously all that replace, and I would bet none of it was bad

I would find another dealership pronto, but would take it back to them and make sure they fix this problem and I would never enter there establishment again.

#19 ·
little advice on looking for a tech for everyone

being a "viper tech" honestly means nothing

that just means that someone took a written test and passed it, thats about it.
I have seen guys that were certified techs and didnt know which end of the spark plug went into the head

so when you take your vehicle somewhere , ask to speak to the technician

it is your right to speak to and know whom is going to work on our vehicle

and if they say a part is bad,ask why, and ask to be shown the part and explained to why it is bad

alot of places will do things, and replace things because they dont know what exactly is wrong, they will just keep replacing until the problem stops or the customer runs out of money

so remember its your right to speak to the tech, any place that says no, or any tech that gets offended by this,

find another shop

#20 ·
Very Very Very True words Tony.... :) :) :)

#21 ·
Update:
Took the Truck back on Monday and they said a Fuse had failed!!
They replaced the fuse and sent me on my way. 1 mile down the road, I noticed that none of my steering controls were working again!!

Took the Truck back on Wednesday and they properly diagnosed the problem as the clock spring!! But now they are trying to charge me for the repair!! After 2 hours on the phone and talking to corporate, They have finally agreed to fix what they broke.

Thank you guys for the help, the info that you gave me was right on and helped me argue my point with the dealer

#22 ·
I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you, but I am sorry you had to jump through hoops to get the right thing done.

#24 ·
man Creepy, you have had a horrendus time , so sorry for your troubles bossman,

thats one thing that just aggrivates me about dealerships:welcome:

#25 ·
good thing i trust my dealer...

but i only go when i have to... which in my truck... has only been a few times...

#26 ·
The bottom line is that the way the new car dealerships operate does not allow the time and proper attention our trucks need....it can get real ugly in the flat rate tech world...techs get payed what the book says so of course less time spent on said task makes you more money.....and no matter how much time it takes you still get payed the same....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.