SRT10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
‘05 Quad Cab, Black & Beautiful
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an '05 QC from a reputable dealership. A great purchase with full documentation of all service performed, including...and this is important... new oil cooler assembly and lines which the dealership found to be leaky. Lovin' the SRT-10 experience so far...with one exception. After 4 months of "spirited" driving I experienced the engine running rough while driving the other day, followed by a drop in oil pressure (estimating 15-20 psi based on gauge), followed by the idiot light for oil pressure. Immediately pulled over and checked the oil and found that the vehicle only had 2.5 quarts of oil in it!! No visible oil leaks and no indication that she was burning oil. The following morning my local mechanic confirmed same: no oil leaks, not burning oil. Now how could 6 quarts of oil just disappear like that? Unless they were never present. Thoughts?

The dealership wants to inspect the engine to assess the cause, document any damage that may have occurred, and recommend a course of action up to and including replacing the engine. But I am hesitant to allow them to do so. If they tear the engine apart, give it a clean bill of health (whether healthy or not), who is to say that I won't experience issues in the future? Even if they offer to replace the engine, which is a stretch, I am left with a vehicle with a replacement engine that negatively impacts its value. What are your thoughts? I appreciate the insights of the SRT-10 experts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did you see if an "oil change" was performed on the vehicle at the dealership before you bought it? Id look at that first and see if the "tech" just had a major brain fart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you see if an "oil change" was performed on the vehicle at the dealership before you bought it? Id look at that first and see if the "tech" just had a major brain fart.
Purchase paperwork indicates all fluids were "topped off" when they were changing the oil cooler assembly and lines prior to purchase. And of course now the dealership, after reviewing the vehicle themselves, are denying any responsibility and trying to make the claim that oil may have leaked into crankcase ventilation system or through piston rings. 6 quarts of it? Come on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tell them to reproduce the issue and prove their theory then. If its draining 6 quarts throught the engine, where is the blue oil smoke? Oil residue on the back of the truck? Oil in exhaust piping? Oil in the intake? Any proof of their claim at all?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reputable dealership? 6 quarts just don't evaporate through anything. Dealership never topped off. Does this dealership have a certified Viper technician?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell them to reproduce the issue and prove their theory then. If its draining 6 quarts throught the engine, where is the blue oil smoke? Oil residue on the back of the truck? Oil in exhaust piping? Oil in the intake? Any proof of their claim at all?
The Service Manager provided the following Service Bulletin from Dodge indicating that the vehicle burns a quart of oil every 750 miles. Based on my research on the forum, and elsewhere, SRT-10 owners have not reported excessive oil consumption anywhere near these figures. My take is that this is Dodge's strategy for "dodging" any financial responsibility that may arise from oil-related engine issues. As I told the Service Manager, even if that is factual, how the Hell am I supposed to know? I don't receive Service Bulletins from Dodge. I rely on my dealership to tell me these kinds of things. Lastly, my mechanic checked out the vehicle and di not report any sign of oil leaks or burning oil. Granted he didn't pull the engine apart but any decent mechanic should be able to tell if an engine burnt 6 quarts of oil! This is just another typical example of a dealership promising to address an issue that is clearly their responsibility, and then sidestepping after they learn how much its going to cost them. Shameful.
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Magenta

Reputable dealership? 6 quarts just don't evaporate through anything. Dealership never topped off. Does this dealership have a certified Viper technician?
Agreed. If the vehicle burned 6 quarts of oil I would have been leaving a trail of smoke all around town like the Batmobile. Yes, they claim to have a Viper mechanic on staff. I found a different Dodge dealership in my area and will be having their Viper certified mechanic look at the vehicle to confirm/deny the original dealership's statement that they are not responsible, and document any damage that may have occurred to support a case against them...if they don't step up to their error.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One quart every 750 miles? Then my quad cab. was running on empty when I drove it from California to Texas then up to Alaska through Canada. I was in the military at that time. I put over 6000 miles on her in less than a month. When I change her oil a month later. Over 8 quarts on her. Definitely take her to a certified Viper tech bring all your paperwork from that 'certified' Viper tech with you to show him. That dealership wants zero accountability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who drives a vehicle for four months and doesn’t take five minutes to check the oil and water just once???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been working on these truck since new and to be honest, most of them have high oil consumption. I have had numerous clients run there engine low on oil and cause substantial damage. I run 15w40 Synthetic Rotella oil in all the truck motors, which seems to seal everything up. Even so, 3-4 quarts every 3000 miles is very common.

If anyone ever has any questions, I'm here to help.

Dan Cragin
Specialty Performance
310-597-6295

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who drives a vehicle for four months and doesn’t take five minutes to check the oil and water just once???
95% of the world...but fair point.

I've been working on these truck since new and to be honest, most of them have high oil consumption. I have had numerous clients run there engine low on oil and cause substantial damage. I run 15w40 Synthetic Rotella oil in all the truck motors, which seems to seal everything up. Even so, 3-4 quarts every 3000 miles is very common.

If anyone ever has any questions, I'm here to help.

Dan Cragin
Specialty Performance
310-597-6295
Thank you for your insights Dan. I'm running Mobil 0w40 full synthetic....and plan to buy a 55g drum of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts