SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SRT-10 (since new in April) has a pronounced vibration starting about 70-80 mph. If I encounter any significant bump in the road at highway speeds, it will send the truck into another lane! I took it to the dealer and after balancing tires, etc. they checked the wheels. They found a defective wheel with excessive runout. They also documented 25 lbs road force on the wheel assembly. My understanding after doing some research is the factory spec for our trucks is 18 lbs. The dealer ordered a new wheel back in April. After over a month, I hadn't received the replacement wheel or any communication. I complained to the dealer and they proved to me that they have been active in trying to obtain the replacement wheel and suggested I contact DC Customer Care to open a case and hopefully get it expidited. I was asked to return the truck to the dealer (May 17) because the Auburn Hills, MI assembly plant wanted the dealer to next-day air ship the wheel to them. The dealer was told if the wheel was in fact defective they would ship a new wheel. The dealer shipped the wheel UPS Red to Auburn Hills. The person that requested the wheel went on vacation the day the wheel arrived so my truck, minus one wheel/tire sits at the dealership in CA (I live in OR) and the wheel/tire sits in Auburn Hills. I was told that a new wheel would be shipped out next-day air on Thur and I would have my truck back Friday (Memorial Day weekend). I told the dealer I would stay in CA for the weekend and plan on picking the truck up Tuesday to give them more time. I never heard from anyone, the weekend passed, I called the dealer and I was told that DC hadn't communicated anything to them. I was told that messages were left with Auburn Hills and calls weren't being returned. Wed I started calling DC again. Someone at the plant finally finds the wheel, checked it, and found that it "is within spec and nothing is wrong with the wheel". DC Customer Care called me and told me that the dealer mis-diagnosed the problem, they will be returning the wheel, the dealer will check the tire pressure and DC will assist with troubleshooting. The dealer also called me and said that they physically saw the runout on the wheel and documented the 25 lbs of wheelforce. The dealer has bent over backwards to try to resolve this. Aparently there is a known vibration/wheel problem and DC isn't owning up to it. BTW, the dealer had another SRT-10 Ram next to mine, pulled a wheel/tire off it, installed it on my truck and road tested it. The vibration was completely gone. Also, my truck (and me) have been stuck in CA for over 2 weeks now and Auburn Hills was supposed to ship the (defective) wheel back to the dealership next-day air. I was asked by the dealership to show up on Friday (today) to "see" the runout before they reinstall the wheel/tire back on my truck, then I would drive home to OR. The wheel never showed up. The dealer called AH and got the tracking number. They said they shipped it Thur. I tracked the wheel and it was picked up today, scheduled for delivery June 14!

I am wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed w/ a bad wheel or tire or experiencing vibration? If so, what was the outcome?

We have to expect defects in manufacturing from time to time, but we should expect expert resolution from the manufacturer without the BS. Especially with a $50K pickup truck. Hope I don't have any other defects...

Starting to lose the passion for this truck.....bummer!
:mad:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Bunner dood... I have 1450 miles on my truck with no problems so far (knock knock). Hopefuly this was just a lame as misshap... I love my truck but If I had to go though all that BS. I would most likely move to an L in late 05. If I were you I would call DC and talk to someone in charge of that division and make a formal complaint.

·
Registered
157 Posts
plans-

well... don't know if this is the right place for this or not?BUT, my thoughts are not quite the same,similar but different. in a perfect world i would love to be able to ADD the new L to the garage when it comes out. probably far fetched but i usually zone in on what i want and then work my ass off for it. plus the new L's should not be too hard to get as ford tends to make alot of everything.2 totally different trucks.i must admit that new super cooling system with bursts of HP sounds pretty neat.??? send srt to west coast viper or hennessey or have L and SRT, hum?............. could be a tough one-
srt is exclusive lets not forget and if they(dc) go to the QC next year and this is it for the originals- could be a star in the making ;) :confused:

·
Registered
235 Posts
You wont have to worry about the super cooler technology being a determine facter on rather you get a gen 3 L as it wont make the cut, and nither will a manual tranny.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Trev17,
I was just saying if it became a nightmare, I would loose it. I am a SRT fan no dout... I just wouldn't put up with allot of BS on DC's part. When you buy a 46k truck you should get superb service.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
COILED said:
My SRT-10 (since new in April) has a pronounced vibration starting about 70-80 mph. I am wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed w/ a bad wheel or tire or experiencing vibration? If so, what was the outcome?

We have to expect defects in manufacturing from time to time, but we should expect expert resolution from the manufacturer without the BS. Especially with a $50K pickup truck. Hope I don't have any other defects...

Starting to lose the passion for this truck.....bummer!
:mad:
Don't loose passion!! It is an awesome truck. I've had 4 tires replaced, and am waiting on 1 rim. The best approach is to get the regional manager involved within a day or two if your dealer isn't aggressive enough with DC. Additionally, in my experience, the 5 star dodge dealers tend to have "better" connections to DC in resolving problems.

This is a KNOWN issue, expect future RRT, service bulletins and recalls as they start to fill the back orders. Be lucky you are not waiting on: a motor, a cam bolt assembley, or a harmonic balancer.

OH!, and just to let you know of some other "upcomming issues", defective head light switch when the fog lights are on, they go off and on as you go over bumps (verified on serveral SRT10/s). Passenger A/C is not as cold as driver side and sub amp problems

Craig

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SRT10x3 said:
Additionally, in my experience, the 5 star dodge dealers tend to have "better" connections to DC in resolving problems.

OH!, and just to let you know of some other "upcomming issues", defective head light switch when the fog lights are on, they go off and on as you go over bumps (verified on serveral SRT10/s). Passenger A/C is not as cold as driver side and sub amp problems

Craig
SRTX3, thanks for the input and the list of what to look for in the future. You forgot the clutch though... :) I am dealing w/ a 5 start dealer and they have been great. I was in the room during conversation yesterday between parts mgr and mgt at DC. We'll call him Fred. Fred told the manager that they haven't been able to capture any SRT-10's w/ vib problems except mine and the GM of Auburn Hills plant. There are 14 reported vib problems to date, according to Fred. Aparently they are short staffed there, the wheel/tire guy isn't there anymore and Fred is one of the mechanical engineers. I understand being short staffed and under resourced, but not taking responsibility is a different issue. Fred told my dealer they have wheels/tires there. I suspect they are having a problem w/ the mfg and are likely going to change things for 05' I've tried to reach the regional mgr but she has been on vacation. I'll try again next week. If not resolved next week, I'll turn it over to the attorney's.

Kirk

·
Banned
582 Posts
odometer just turned 2,000, and haven't had one problem, (other than the cam bolt issue, which was found to be okay) :D

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I'll turn 1,000 miles tomorrow and all is fine here too! :D Well, except for the gas mileage - it sucks. :p :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hamrhead said:
I'll turn 1,000 miles tomorrow and all is fine here too! :D Well, except for the gas mileage - it sucks. :p :D
Anyone else notice that gas pumps wont give out more then $50.00 in fuel if you pay with Credit Card? :)

Craig

·
Registered
974 Posts
SRT10x3,
Nope have not had that problem here in Tx. I use my bank card at the pump all the time. Gas prices here are 2.07 a gallon for 93 octain.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have 10,000 miles on mine. Only problem is a slight clutch chatter wich will be fixed under warranty.

I do have one wheel which was almost un balanceable (is that a word?).
However, just had it aligned, rotated and balanced. Goes down the road at 70+ reaaaaal smoooooooth!

Could these guys with vibration issues possibly have a problem with the drive shaft?

I saw a post somewhere that addressed this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't believe your paying 2 dollars a gallon and have 93 octane, in Texas. So unfair, i guess my California govn. thinks we all need to be chipping in for the ocean or something,like the use of waves and sun! Rad- .... how ridiculous. i payed 2.43 for 91

·
Registered
157 Posts
+ i own 2 v8's and obviously a 10 as well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
9 seconds said:
93 octane here south of Houston has dropped to $1.99 at the highest. You can save a penny or 3 if you shop around.
$2.139 a gallon here. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had major vibration problems when I picked mine up from the dealer, the first thing I did was pull over check the air pressure, which was 48 psi in all four (way to much) I took it down to 30 psi and from there was smooth as silk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts