SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my SRT-10 and also purchased the dealer add-on undercoating, interior protectant and paint sealant coating. I havent had this done yet. Has anyone else had this done? Will it dull the appearance or affect the ability to wax the truck?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sorry to tell you but that is one of the biggest scams of the dealership. The paint sealant is usually some BS silcone based sealant. Undercoating went away with the 80s and all coolants have protectant (corrision inhibitor) in them these days.

Just polish and wax the truck as normal though. Congrats! (don't mean to sound too harsh...)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
womsterr said:
Sorry to tell you but that is one of the biggest scams of the dealership. The paint sealant is usually some BS silcone based sealant. Undercoating went away with the 80s and all coolants have protectant (corrision inhibitor) in them these days.

Just polish and wax the truck as normal though. Congrats! (don't mean to sound too harsh...)
ditto! dont buy it!

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Well since you live in Mary Land, depends on how much salt is on the roads in winter or if you plan to drive it at all, if so try to get it undercoated if you see lotsa snow and salt. Interior protection , worked at a dealership for years, don't go for it, all you have basically is carpet, buy a can of scotchguard same thing. Exterior paint protection, yeah like they said , silicone base to make it shiny and hide scratches, leave it be, buy your own. One of the guys, dang can't remember who,may have to search , ahd some great wax but pain to put on, could just go with mothers, last long time good shine, also meguirs tech, awesome look, hides alot , pain to get off, needs a day to cure, not sure yet how long it last. Anyway enjoy your ride just watch those flatulant full grow troopers up there, I don't think them guys have a sense of laughter when it comes to 500hp pick up truck kickin it down 70 or 270. have fun

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, Guess I should have known better, damn booth babe had me on the spot and I already paid for it. oh well, no use crying over spilled milk, just wanted to make sure it wouldnt effect the shine! Getting the windows tinted Saturday. I think the general concensus here at the forum was 3M Titanium Tint.

·
Registered
599 Posts
STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

OKAY.. I think I have your attention.

DO NOT UNDERCOAT ANYTHING! PERIOD!

If you truely want to protect your truck please use POR-15.

It is a epoxy. It works wonders.
I have it on my '69 and '70 mustang, I used it on my old Wrangler and I currently have it on my lightning and grand cherokee. It is by far the BEST rustproofing you can buy.

It is a 3 step procedure.

1. marine cleaner, removes everything from the metal, you dilute it with water and spray it on. wait a few minutes and hose it off.
2. Metal Prep.. Basically phosphorus that nuetralizes all rust and etches the metal
3. Epoxy coating.

Ever been to a car show and seen the firewall a shiny black, or the undercarriage... Odds are they are using por-15.

You can apply it with a Paint brush... I know what you are thinking, but the epoxy is self leveling, so it will be perfectly smooth. (depending on the condition of your metal or course) you can thin it and spray it on, but I personally like to brush it on.

you cannot scrape this off with a [email protected]

www.por-15.com

specifically
http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=6

·
Registered
599 Posts
stinker said:
One of the guys, dang can't remember who,may have to search , ahd some great wax but pain to put on
ZAINO... real expensive though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts