SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE EVER RAN INTO THIS SITUATION You turn the key over and everything turns on , the gauges , the radio etc. . . . You press the push start ignition and nothing happens ?!? Long story short I had a remote start viper alarm installed 7 or 8 months ago and since this install this has happened to me 3 times. The first time it happened to me "about 2 months ago" it took about 5 minutes of pushing the push start ignition button and the truck finally started on its own. The second time it happened to me "about 2 weeks ago" I called the worker that installed the alarm for me "best buy auto tech" and he came to where I was and was just confused why the truck gets power but will not start. He trouble shooted the truck and looked at all wires for ignition and everything was good so as a last resort he took both terminals off the battery and held them together to drain the power from the truck and after doing so and putting them back on the battery the truck started right up. From there I went to work and dropped it off to my auto tech installer which than decided to take out the viper alarm brain just to see if it was maybe a bad viper alarm system. A week passed and my truck with just the factory alarm in did the same thing again within a week of having the viper alarm pulled out. The only way I could get the truck to start was to take both terminals off the battery and hold them together to drain out all power from vehicle than when I pressed the button it finally started. I do have warranty from car max and I do plan on dropping it off to them but I'm looking into why this is happening? Has any one ever went thru this? Since it happened last my installer took out the entire viper alarm system so the dealership would not blame the system so I am ready to drop it off but figured I would tell them what to look at to try to fix before they call me and say nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not tried that before but I just went to my truck and rolled the ignition over just to see if it would let me put it in neutral and it does let me put it in neutral and press the push button start and yes right now it is starting the truck but it's not like I can get a real troubleshoot from the truck right now . . . . . . . . It sucks to have to wait till it won't start before I can test stuff but I will keep that in mind the next time it happens , if my truck doesn't start anytime soon I will try this to see if it works and hopefully it does so people in my position knows what's wrong with the truck . Any other ideas or anyone else have this happen to them before ?

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
The only time that this has happened to me is when I back the truck into it's spot. Once there and you put it in park and leave. Sometimes it does not go all the way into park. When I get back to my truck and push the button and it doesn't start, I can look down at the PRND21 and it does not show the circle around P. So I wiggle the shifter (mostly up so that it goes into park better) and then the circle goes around the P. Then the truck starts right up.

There was a thread on this a while ago. I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW !!!!! This makes so much sense !!!!! I thought I would be the only one that noticed when I parked sometimes the circle is not around the P but the truck is in park. This happens to me about 2 times a week and I do wiggle the shifter until it is around the P than I turn of the truck. This would be something I can test, next time I park it and the circle is not around the P I'll on purpose turn it off just to than turn it back on to see if this is the issue. I'll report back on here if this is what's wrong, thanks allot BUDDY!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just dropped my vehicle off at Carmax Service Center and my issue was the Neutral Safety Switch , the service tech said that's the first time he ever had to order this part. Technician said the contacts on the switch are worn off which send a false signal to the computer that the truck is in reverse when really it's in park which in return makes the truck not start. Hope this info helps someone out . Oldcolt you hit the nail right on the head !! Thanks buddy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Just dropped my vehicle off at Carmax Service Center and my issue was the Neutral Safety Switch , the service tech said that's the first time he ever had to order this part. Technician said the contacts on the switch are worn off which send a false signal to the computer that the truck is in reverse when really it's in park which in return makes the truck not start. Hope this info helps someone out . Oldcolt you hit the nail right on the head !! Thanks buddy
No problem! Glad you found a fix.:wink

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
This is an excellent tip. Kudos to TAPOUTSWAG for following up with the forum and sharing what he learned!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts