SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey sean,
i was wondering if the b&b full catback system with the high flow cats will yield any significant gains over just a catback like magnaflow????... also, what is the sound difference? I ask because i was wondering if the price diff is worth it.

also, i was wondering if you could clear up a vec II question?????... i have heard that the system gives you the power down low, but only actually yeilds about 5 more horses overall.... is this true???????

·
Registered
82 Posts
johnj said:
hey sean,
i was wondering if the b&b full catback system with the high flow cats will yield any significant gains over just a catback like magnaflow????... also, what is the sound difference? I ask because i was wondering if the price diff is worth it.

also, i was wondering if you could clear up a vec II question?????... i have heard that the system gives you the power down low, but only actually yeilds about 5 more horses overall.... is this true???????

Hi John,

Here's our experience on the Vipers, which seems to be carrying over to the trucks as well.
On a cat-back change alone (no matter the brand when comparing 3" mandrel bent systems), the main benefit is the improvement in sound. Performance-wise, expect about 12 RWHP when changing a cat-back only. If power was my main objective, a cat-back system would not be my first choice. I consider the minor power improvement a bonus to the sound improvement.
The bulk of the HP to be gained in an exhaust upgrade (SRT-10 car or truck) is with the replacement or elimination of the stock catalytic converters. As an added bonus, sound volume and quality will improve also. You can get 20 RWHP with a cat change / delete.
Headers will help from 4,200 RPM and up. The interesting note there is that Dodge uses a 1&3/4" primary tube on the car and 1&1/2" cast primary on the truck.
Hope that helps answers some of your questions. Only you can decide what's best for your needs and goals.

Regards,
Sean

Oops, I forgot to answer the VEC2 question. Without going into a lot of detail that has been discussed in other threads, the VEC2 allows you to tune. The farther off the tune was, the more power you can make with adjustments. At the very top of the power band, at about 5,600 RPM, there is little to be gained on a fairly stock engine (maybe 10, maybe 0). The bulk of the improvements will be in the low to midrange, where you'll get the most benefit from it on a daily basis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts