SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love these trucks, but have a few questions before I look into buying one. First off, it has to be a daily driver. I'm in Cleveland, but I have a winter car so that's not an issue. But does it do well everyday or is it just not a wise idea? Second, how reliable are the viper motors as well as the rest of the truck? Does it hold up well after high mileage? Lastly, I drive A LOT. Almost 100 miles/day. Is there anything that can be done about the mileage besides regearing? Filling up twice a day would kill me. Thanks guys for all your help!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Dont buy it if your worried about gas mileage. Seriously this baby sucks gas and money from your wallet. Premium gas only and very pricey oil changes every 3k miles!!! Even if you do it yourself, your talking $60. Expect under 10 in the city and maybe 15/16 highway. Mine is reading 8.5 a gallon right now on my current tank of gas.

patrick

·
Registered
451 Posts
7 to 8 mpg is all i get in the city and 9's on the highway for a 2006 QC.

It's not an everyday vehicle IMO, it idles like shlt, is a tank to turn, wing makes it difficult to see out the back, the ride is stiff due to the performance setup, and like we said it sucks fuel back like nothing else.

But..... once you mash that pedal, it makes it all worth it... I purchased this truck as a toy and use my other car as a daily as i can get 25-28mpg.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Daily driver here.... Truck has NEVER thrown a code!
17,400/miles..flawless miles! Everybody is differant, some like everything about the Truck (ME) and some people pick her apart. You can always fine something that bothers you.
Overall: MAN WHAT a TRUCK!
After you start modding her, all bets are off! Right NOW under/boost she pulls 2.7/mpg...... Hi-Ho!

Quick

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm in the land of Cleves myself, and my truck is my daily driver, except when there's a ton of snow and/or salt on the streets. I only drive Lakewood to downtown and back every day, though. Mileage isn't a big deal to me.

·
Banned
880 Posts
Funny! Anyone wanting one of these should not be asking about mileage!!!!! Maui is right on telling him to go away. I just saved tens of thousands of dollars off the price of two of these beauts and I can buy a lot of gas for $40,000 saved!!! $4,000 saved in sales tax will take care of oil changes.

·
Registered
17,270 Posts
Ditto on what has been said on mileage.I have 33K daily driven miles .Like they say if you have to ask.......

·
Registered
459 Posts
You will get the occasional freak of nature (the truck) claiming they get 15 mpg plus on the RC. Maybe on the freeway with a tailwind cause for every one of those little ole lady drivers you get a hundred responses that say they get less than ten average which is reality for these vehicles.
Lots of cars that are faster than the stock truck out there that will get almost twice that much (my 06 Vette gets 29 running down the freeway)so if gas is even a consideration don't go there.
Drive mine everyday and love it cause I rationalise? it like Danko.
I can burn a lot of fuc-ing gas for the 20 grand off list I got it for.
Otherwise it would hurt my feelings so bad I would probably get piss-d and sell it cause it ain't that damn fast!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Throttle - I must be one of those "old lady" drivers 'cuz I get 11mpg in town. I have 30K+ miles and drive it every day {except on the ice} and love every minute I am in the truck. I am trying to find a winter set-up that will work better for the slick roads but all the torque makes that a difficult prospect. Right now I have 180lbs of sand over the rear axel and that coupled with 25+ years of winter driving experience has got me home safe so far...
My advice to you is buy the truck and drive it like it was a rental. Put your gas on your credit card and bank the frequent flyer miles!
Fossil fuels will eventually dry up and do you want to be the guy laughing cause you had a blast driving an SRT or the guy who drove the wheels and battery off of his Prius????
Me and my SRT!!! :rofl: :rocker:

·
Registered
137 Posts
You know for me, in a warped sort of way, this truck is a very practical daily driver. I think that's because I think of it as, well, a truck.

It gets used as a truck. I can haul around just about anything I want in the bed. Couldn't do that in a car...

No it's not the fastest vehicle on the road, but it sure does run and handle good for a truck. And that puts a smile on my face...

Yeah the mileage blows. I average under 10 MPG. But with any other full size truck and a V8 I would be getting what, 12-15 MPG? The miles I drive, that would save me maybe 7-10 bucks a week, max? No thanks, I will take the smile on my face...

If you want fast, small and economical, get an SRT-4. But this is a great truck.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
ThrottleJunkie said:
I absolutely love these trucks, but have a few questions before I look into buying one. First off, it has to be a daily driver. I'm in Cleveland, but I have a winter car so that's not an issue. But does it do well everyday or is it just not a wise idea? Second, how reliable are the viper motors as well as the rest of the truck? Does it hold up well after high mileage? Lastly, I drive A LOT. Almost 100 miles/day. Is there anything that can be done about the mileage besides regearing? Filling up twice a day would kill me. Thanks guys for all your help!
I used mine as daily driver without any issues (other than spending a small fortune at the car wash to keep it looking great).
I think the Viper engines are quite tough. In fact they make good power without being very stressed at all. I mean, no big compression, wild cam(s) with high spring rates, etc.
I have around 30,000 trouble free miles on mine and really enjoy driving it.
I am averaging 12 in the city wth my QC and 17 highway (but we have a larger gallon than you do). If you get a QC, make sure you flash the computer and use the best gas you can find. They are rather octane sensitive..

Don't buy it for mileage. But..they aren't all that bad, I mean my 4x4 gets a whopping 1.5 m.p.g. more in the city than the SRT (but it does that on REGULAR fuel), which is cheaper to operate over time.

These trucks do a lot of things well; I have no complaints so far.

Ron,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is all stock just tuned I average 11.4 mpg I drive 24 miles on the highway everyday then around city but if your worried about gas move on this truck isnt meant to save gas it meant for people who love trucks I daily mine and never had an issue I've road tripped it once because I didnt want to drive another vehicle because I had just purchased mine and I had zero issues if you maintain and respect the truck it will respect you back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts