SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.
I spent my Sunday working on a truck I don't even own yet. I'm an inventor, so when the bug hits, I won't even hear Jenna Jameson come in the door. :)

I drew up a fully-functional ram air intake for the Ram SRT-10 in SolidWorks. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but it's f-ing beautiful. I'll be patenting the design this week. As soon as that's complete, I'll post some preliminary renderings.

They'd be done out of 6061 T-6 aluminum, so it could be anodized red, black, or silver, appropriately enough. Plus, the rest of the engine is aluminum, so why not the badass intake? :p I'm gonna guess here, but I think installation should take about an hour or so. NO DRILLING! It'll be totally bolt-on/bolt-off.

They would cost a few bucks to get made, but way less than $500. I'll talk with my machine shop and get an estimate this week. I'd be a lot cheaper for me to get 10 done than just one, so I wanted to get a show of hands to see if anyone else is interested. Of course it'd be sold to you at bare cost, and all I'd ask is that if you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, that you pass them along to me so we can get this thing perfected. The good, the bad, the ugly...I need them all.

Also, if a current SRT-10 owner could email me a nice clean shot of the underside of the hood, it'd really help speed along the process.

Thanks folks. Email me if you're in. I'd like to be able to check the Forum every hour, but lately that seems very hard to do, so email me with something other than "Viagra- Take It For Her", "Increase Your Breast Size", or "Re-finance Now" in the subject line. :)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Kevan sounds great, if it works and it looks good count me in. Can't wait to see some pictures. I would sent you a picture of the hood but I can't find the battery charger to my sony camera. Thanks JOE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Yeah sounds great. As for Jena J whoooo I might just pause for a couple sec's to get a taste of that!! :) I'll post some pics of the hood and engine compartment here in a sec
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
Thanks Titan- the pics are great. It'd be a bit easier to see what I need to on a red or silver one....but I'm not complaining. :)

Some folks have emailed me asking about CFM increase, cost, etc. I don't have any of those specs yet, and I don't know if I can do CFM with the COSMOS stuff in SolidWorks. This is my first intake, so cut me some slack. LOL No matter what the numbers come out as, they'll be better than what comes stock in the truck.
No offense, Dodge. You guys rock, and thanks for leaving a bit of room for improvement.

I'll have the design patent paperwork done and filed in the next two weeks (patent atty. is having a baby this week, so...). Then I'll be able to post renderings and hopefully that will spur input from you guys as well.

Thanks again. I'm sure you guys will dig on it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts

Not to rain on your parade but it's been done already. There is a member of DTW RickyP that made his SRT-10 hood on his HEMI a truly fuctional ram air hood. It costs about $110 to order a kit from him and it bolts on to the hood with no drilling or cutting using factory mounting on the scoop. It's acutally pretty cool and I guess he could fab up something for the viper intake connection and yes it been copyrighted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
I'd like to see some DYNO numbers with that puppy. See if its really functional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Functional Ram Air ?

DINO ONE said:

Not to rain on your parade but it's been done already. There is a member of DTW RickyP that made his SRT-10 hood on his HEMI a truly fuctional ram air hood. It costs about $110 to order a kit from him and it bolts on to the hood with no drilling or cutting using factory mounting on the scoop. It's acutally pretty cool and I guess he could fab up something for the viper intake connection and yes it been copyrighted.
I'm interested in more information about this kit, details???
Thanks,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
The "kit" is just the scoop it self and mounting hardware. You have to purchase a "RAM AIR" air cleaner from ramair.com which will cost about $200 and then you can modify it to make your hood "functional"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
I'm interested as well, but I need a little more info. My truck is basically my daily ride (for now), so it sees rain. I'm concerned about water getting in the engine with a Ram Air Intake. If you're planning on using the hood scoop for air, I don't know if that would be the best thing for me. Unless, of course, you have some way of deflecting the water? TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DINO ONE said:
Not to rain on your parade but it's been done already. There is a member of DTW RickyP that made his SRT-10 hood on his HEMI a truly fuctional ram air hood. It costs about $110 to order a kit from him and it bolts on to the hood with no drilling or cutting using factory mounting on the scoop.
No rain on my parade. Sorry, but that looks like a high school shop project. The one I've designed is *CONSIDERABLY* more advanced. Mine is (hopefully) one-piece machined 6061 T-6 aluminum; not 18ga. sheet metal spray painted with BBQ paint and then sized to fit existing holes under the hood.
Plus....
DINO ONE said:
...made his SRT-10 hood on his HEMI a truly fuctional ram air hood.
That's a HEMI engine; not a Viper engine. The respective intakes are VERY different.

DINO ONE said:
It's actually pretty cool and I guess he could fab up something for the viper intake connection and yes it been copyrighted.
Not to rain on his parade, but there's a HUGE difference between a copyright and a patent.

A link to RickyP's site would be interesting to check out. That's cool he did one for the HEMI folks, but mine is specifically for the Ram SRT-10 and WILL NOT work on a Hemi or any other vehicle.
You don't put a shaker hood on a LeCar, do you? :)

Hamrhead- Don't worry about water/rain getting in there. I've got ya covered (figuratively...and literally, now that I think about it. LOL).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Yeah, I am in when you get one done. Soon as you get the patent process finished (I hear it takes a long time) Post us some details it sure sounds like an awsome CAI...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey folks!
Thanks for all the cool emails. Looks like there might be a few more than 10. :)

The design is complete. All I need now is an actual truck to get the exact measurements and it's ready to be built. I got as close as I could using my Durango to get numbers...with it's tiny little V-8. LOL

Some had asked about airflow/CFM and rain/water issues. Airflow will DEFINITELY be increased over stock. I'm still trying to figure out how to do CFM testing; that might just have to wait until they're built. I'm not too worried though- it'll be fantastic. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm sure you guys will appreciate.

The rain/water problem is the same one that you have with a regular CAI- don't go through any deep rivers and you'll be fine. I'll videotape some "wet tests" when I finally get the SRT-10 here.

In discussion with the patent attorney yesterday, we talked about materials. He liked my 6061, but quickly suggested 7075. I'm not sure how much you guys know about metals or aircraft aluminum, but to make it real simple- 6061= cheap and easy to machine, and 7075= more expensive and harder to machine, but it's stronger and just as light. He also suggested trying some injection molded plastics. These would be THICK, but strong. I'm still tossing that idea around as well. I'd like to keep costs low, but I don't want to sacrifice any sort of quality, in any way.

As soon as all the legal stuff is covered, I'll get some pics up for you guys to critique.
It won't be too long, I promise. A ram air intake would make a nice stocking stuffer, eh? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,891 Posts
Kevan said:
Hey folks!
Thanks for all the cool emails. Looks like there might be a few more than 10. :)

The design is complete. All I need now is an actual truck to get the exact measurements and it's ready to be built. I got as close as I could using my Durango to get numbers...with it's tiny little V-8. LOL

Some had asked about airflow/CFM and rain/water issues. Airflow will DEFINITELY be increased over stock. I'm still trying to figure out how to do CFM testing; that might just have to wait until they're built. I'm not too worried though- it'll be fantastic. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm sure you guys will appreciate.

The rain/water problem is the same one that you have with a regular CAI- don't go through any deep rivers and you'll be fine. I'll videotape some "wet tests" when I finally get the SRT-10 here.

In discussion with the patent attorney yesterday, we talked about materials. He liked my 6061, but quickly suggested 7075. I'm not sure how much you guys know about metals or aircraft aluminum, but to make it real simple- 6061= cheap and easy to machine, and 7075= more expensive and harder to machine, but it's stronger and just as light. He also suggested trying some injection molded plastics. These would be THICK, but strong. I'm still tossing that idea around as well. I'd like to keep costs low, but I don't want to sacrifice any sort of quality, in any way.

As soon as all the legal stuff is covered, I'll get some pics up for you guys to critique.
It won't be too long, I promise. A ram air intake would make a nice stocking stuffer, eh? :)
first off are you going to bend this 6061? cant it will break. your patent attourney needs a lesson in metalurgy. use a 3000 series if you are going to bend it & weld any seams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Have you tested a hood to see where the negitive pressure even is? The scoop may turn out to be nonfunctional for a reason, you're not dealing with a NACA duct here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,891 Posts
Lucifer said:
Have you tested a hood to see where the negitive pressure even is? The scoop may turn out to be nonfunctional for a reason, you're not dealing with a NACA duct here.
exactly, not to mention the decreasing radius needed to meet the throttle body will kill velocity, & create a low pressure of its own in the short side of the radius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow....NACA...that's old school! :)

The angle to the throttle body is an area of concern, but....that angle is there now, and things work fine. It's there with the stock airbox and it's there with the Hennessey CAI. There's really no way to work around it, so I decided to work *with* it.

Boomer- trust me, man. Don't worry about it. I've got it covered. I don't design/build wimpy, crappy stuff. I'm exploring other material options as well, namely carbon fiber. It'd be pricey, but it'd definitely save on weight and be extremely durable.

I just called and found out my local dealer sold theirs, so it'll be a little while before I even have a prototype to fit-check. I won't have it next week, but I will keep you guys updated as things progress.

If anyone is in the Columbus, OH area and would let me spend 10 minutes under their hood with some calipers, I'd gladly buy them lunch. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Kevan said:
Wow....NACA...that's old school! :)
But it still is the best design, the way I see it; Don't fix that which isn't broken. Dodge didn't follow that rule and thus we have this copy of the S2000RT-10 Viper hood.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top