SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

As many of you know, we found our way into the Ram SRT-10's by virtue of the fact they have the Viper engine.
Many of you may also know that we've produced over 250 Viper Supercharger kits and have been working on the Generation 3 Viper engine SC kit for about a year.
Initially, the idea was to make the Viper and Ram kits the same.
However, that actually would have made the Ram kit cost more and it would have had some unfavorable restrictions that were not necessary when used in the truck (the truck has so much more room, it allows us to use a full size air to air intercooler for example, where in the car, we can't).
Therefore, we split the two kits apart and bought a truck to start testing on.
We did the baseline stock testing, then installed an off the shelf Paxton kit and tested it, noting the fuel, timing and boost curves they use.
We removed the centrifugal kit (for sale soon, only has 3 dyno pulls and 5 miles on the runway on it) and started fitting a new design of ours using the Autorotor compressor we use in the Viper kits.
On the truck, we're mounting the Supercharger on the passenger side of the engine. Initial testing showed it would work just fine and we were able to implement several cost cutting measures, which ultimately mean we can offer the new truck kit for a lower price.
Next up was to start working out an intercooler and piping. We drew up one and fitted it between the radiator and A/C condenser (moved the condenser forward a little for clearance).
Then began a lot of cutting and pasting, moving things around until it started to look clean.
We finally finished the system (in what I'll call "almost" final prototype version, pending further results) and were able to begin dyno testing today.
We're finishing up for the day now and will be coming in tomorrow morning, bright and early to start where we left off this evening.
This was our first run with the intercooled version of the Ram SRT-10 kit.
With the Intercooler and piping, we're loosing about 2-3 PSI inside the intake, compared to the same pulley before without the I/C.
We turned down our aluminum test pulley, but started running into belt slip and were only able to achieve a maximum of 5 PSI early in the pull, before the slip became worse and boost dropped to about 2.2 PSI.
Our production pulleys are coated with a special coating used in belt driven cam gear sets, but we don't do this for testing because we machine them on the spot and the coating requires sending them out for 2 weeks.
At this boost level, we picked up some decent power and have hopes that it will go higher once we take care of the slippage.
Here are a few numbers:
At 2,000 RPM, the RWTQ went from 390 to 560.
At 3,250 RPM, the RWTQ went from 431 to 587.
Above that RPM, the belt slippage showed a steady slow drop in torque with the gain ending at about 100+ RWTQ at 5,500 RPM.
The RWHP gain throughout the pull was around 100.
Again, low, but for a reason we can get our hands around.
Tomorrow, we'll put deeper groves into the aluminum pulley in order to get some more belt contact.
If necessary, we'll change the crankshaft pulley to a larger early Viper one (they're interchangeable) and use a standard coated pulley to finish testing.
Sorry it's not done yet, but it's very close.
After we wrap up the testing on the dyno and runway track, we'll get going on production.
The Autorotor compressors are already being built for us.
Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks Sean, can't wait to see more good numbers!!!
:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Sounds interesting Sean. Thank you for the update. I'm hoping those numbers improve even more prior to production. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
how are those numbers compared to the paxton?

·
Registered
210 Posts
how about the methanol kit ? will it be ready soon also?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sean, I want to say that it all sounds good, also I got your package today, and everything in there sounds wonderful, and looks great.....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Awsome can't wait to see the finished product :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got an email from Dave last week about this. He thought the price would be somewhere around 6k. He didn't go into details about everything included in that.

·
Registered
53 Posts

i would also be interested in knowing how much it would cost to have it installed at roe.
also... sean, do you think there will be any outside temp. restrictions keeping you from driving in sub 40 degree weather?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sean, Keep the info. coming. will this make the VECII a moot point?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Milo55 said:
Sean, Keep the info. coming. will this make the VECII a moot point?
No, you will have a big advantage with the VEC2. Being able to increase or decrease timming and fuel oil mix will allow a good tuner to get the most out of your SC.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,
To answer a few of your questions:
1. The VEC2, in some form, will be included in the kit. If you already have one, it will be left out and the cost will be reduced.
2. Water injection is available for our Viper SC kits now. We haven't tested it on th truck yet. We've been trying to do everything with the air to air intercooler, though water injection reduces the temperature more and does not decrease boost (an intercooler must have some pressure loss to be effective).
3. How is our development comparing to the Paxton results. That depends, do you want to use the first cold pull, or the second and third pulls using the Paxton? They have a decent kit and it runs fine, but the water cooler is a bit small and heat soaks after the first pull.
At this point, we're about 100 to 150 RWTQ ahead of them in the low to mid-range, but both systems cross over at about 5,200 RPM (warm pull to warm pull) and theirs is higher from there up. Such is the nature of the curves when comparing a positive displacement blower to a centrifugal one.
Below are the before and after dyno results (stock and stock with Paxton) including general information about the tests.
The stock pulls had only an S&B air filter.
The stock two pulls were 1 minute apart.
The three pulls with the Paxton were also 1 minute apart.
Our large high speed fan was in front of the truck during all pulls.
We recorded the Paxton Split Second program and used their software to log the boost from the run.
The maximum boost was 8.1 to 8.3 psi at 5,900 rpm for the pulls.
The maximum timing retard was set at 6.5 retard at 5,500 and 10 degrees retard at 6,000 rpm (from stock). There is an additional 1.5 degrees retard built into the Split second box, on top of the programmed values. We did not adjust anything, so this is straight out of the box. More power could be made on the dyno with less timing retard.
4. Price range. We're working to stay under $6,000.

Regards,
Sean

Attachments

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Sean, I have a question for you.

While I'm not going to mod the truck in the near future (this year), I do plan on doing something eventually and I really like vehicles with blowers or turbos. Have you tried methanol injection instead of water? The reason I ask is I had a 260Z that I turbocharged and ran up to 38 pounds of boost at times. If I filled the tank with water it detonated like crazy. With methanol it ran like a raped ape.

I should mention that the compression ratio was 7.0 to 1 which allowed me to run those boost pressures. Still had a problem with intake gaskets blowing, but that is another story.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
73 Posts
Group Buy ??

Hi Sean
What kind of price reduction (percentage) compared to the MSRP price, would a 5 Kit group buy from this forum make ?
Leaving the VEC2 out of the Kit will proberly lower the MSRP by ... $1000 ... right ? :)
Thanks, Klaus

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any update on the Roe Blower???

Sean,

Come on man, no update for three days! :( Whats up with the status on your blower? :confused: I hope it is going well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the update delay.
I'm rerouting the air tubes and using larger ones to see how it affects boost pressure and compressor power consumption.
I'll be in the shop tomorrow (Sunday) as it should be quiet and I can get some more done. I didn't go in today (I was at a meeting with the machine shop that will be making production parts for us) and did very little on the truck Friday. We were slammed busy this week and the truck development suffered a bit.
We just want to make sure the kit is the best configuration it can be before putting the “done” stamp on it and making available to everyone.

Regards,
Sean

1 - 20 of 43 Posts