SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm fast approching 15000 miles on my SRT I wanted to change the rear end lube to a synthetic. What should I use? And do you still need to add the additive from Dodge Thanks in advance

·
Registered
140 Posts
Back in Dec of 2000 I bought a new 01 Grand Cherokee.
Within a few weeks the rear-end started to make noises around corners. The dealer told me that a few of those got out of the factory without the additive which makes the oil breakdown very fast and that was probably what happened to mine.
I caught it very early (1st day it made noise) so when they opened it up to check everything there was no damage and all tolerances were still within spec.
The fluid was changed to synthetic at that time and they added 2 bottles of the additive. That solved the problem, no noise since and the Jeep now has about 68,000 KM.
I am not a mechanic but I would suggest you put the additive in to be safe.

Ken

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have blown the rear end out of my last two dodge trucks. Both came from the factory WITHOUT the friction modifier in it. Go with an synthetic and go for it. Lucas oil is sold at most places and has the modifier in it. Plus the usually synth suspects like Royal Purple, Amsoil etc..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks for the information

1 - 4 of 4 Posts