SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I originally ordered my truck I asked the dealer to install a remote starter/alarm system. When the truck finally arrived, they told me they could not install it because of the immobilizer lockout and the starter button. Meaning that unless the key was in the ingnition and turned forward, the computer would only then allow the red button to work.

My question is, has anyone yet installed one? If so what brand?

Thanks...

Ernie

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Dude pushing that red button is the deal man!!!!!!!!!!!! Remote start??? What do you live in Minnesota or something??? :eek: Sorry dont want to sound like I am bagging on you...... I just have never heard of anybody installing one on their truck yet.....I guess you could be the first....

patrick

·
Registered
53 Posts

hey, you paid the money to have the "viper" engine, badge, and button... might as well get your money's worth if you follow.........

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
ernie57 said:
When I originally ordered my truck I asked the dealer to install a remote starter/alarm system. When the truck finally arrived, they told me they could not install it because of the immobilizer lockout and the starter button. Meaning that unless the key was in the ingnition and turned forward, the computer would only then allow the red button to work.

Thanks...

Ernie
Ernie, I know what you mean I live in the northeast and although I don't use my SRT-10 as a daily driver there are times I wish I could push another Red button to warm things up B4 I come outside. To answer your Question, No I have not heard of anyone doing this. :(

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
For those cold winter mornings, I have 2 remote starters. :eek:

Wife = #1

Daughter =#2

They love me and the truck so much, they enjoy the chance to press the red button :D

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
There is a new remote starter module available from Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep that allows remote starting with the Key but I am not sure it it works with the Ram/SRT. I know it does for my Pacifica but again, my current remote starter(s) work just fine :p

Mark

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You can do a remote starter but you have to get an extra black key that has a transponder and put it in the steering column to bypass the system. Also - there are other bypass' for a standard shift for the clutch depress. You may have a QC auto...i don't remember. Also..if you ever leave it in gear and hit the button you'll have a problem houston....

I had a viper responder with remote start and the window modules on my hemi. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
A guy at work has a Ford Explorer with their version of the sentry key. he had a viper alarm installed along with remote starter. He told me the installer had to put a key in the steering column for this to work so the transponder would read it.

I thought he was nuts for doing that since the sentry key installed like that would allow your truck to get stolen much easier. I also told him that if it does get stolen and insurance finds out he bypassed the sentry system (or whatever ford calls it) he might have issues.

i would not do it but rather look for the Dodge remote start addition and research it to see if it can work.

Mark

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ernie57 said:

Thanks...

Ernie
The AST alarm works great. It has Gear/Clutch lockout. Meaning if you don't leave the truck in Neutral it won't work, you have to remember to put the truck in neutral and set the parking brake everytime you leave the truck. You also have to leave the heater or ac on, depending on what you want. No key required, although if you depress the clutch or anything else besides the break before inserting the key, the alarm with dis-engage, shut the truck off and sound the alarm.

Craig

·
Registered
974 Posts
mauiSRT/10 said:
Dude pushing that red button is the deal man!!!!!!!!!!!! Remote start??? What do you live in Minnesota or something??? :eek: Sorry dont want to sound like I am bagging on you...... I just have never heard of anybody installing one on their truck yet.....I guess you could be the first....

patrick
Couldn't of said it better myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.

And yes I do enjoy the Red Button Start Your Engine Club.

However, my QC is my everyday driver (2500 miles in 55 days). And where I park at work is close enough to my office to have a remote starter (used to have one for my H1 Hummer). I would leave the AC switch or heater on full power and let the truck cool down or heat up. And everyone knows that they should allow the truck to warm-up before high speed runs back home!

The inherint problem does seem to be the fact that without the key in the ingnition switch the red button is immobilized from engaging the starter.

Thanks,

Ernie

P.S. Sitedrifter...If I gave my daughter the keys to go out and start my truck she would just keep going with it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts