SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the RAM and DODGE from the doors and tail gate.
Who has done this and what is the best way to not harm the finish?

·
Registered
966 Posts
emblem removal..

BlueFlame said:
I would like to remove the RAM and DODGE from the doors and tail gate.
Who has done this and what is the best way to not harm the finish?
I think if you search in the visual mod threads you will find answers...
One good way is to use fishing line...and a hair dryer...the adhesive just about rolls off the surface when warmed up...don't heat too much unless you like the fried paint look..One of the guys mentioned that. Plus i used 3m adhesive remover..doesn't hurt the paint but you should polish and wax aftrwrd.
be careful, have fun modding....

Dallas :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
on my viper i used a heat gun ,and dental flossto get behind the letters,it should work the same for you,just take your time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I asked before I searched the old threads. That's just me, always going to the easy way out first.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, this is how I did it. Others may have a better way.
1. Take a credit card and slid it in between the doublesided tape and emblem just to get a little break in the tape.
2. Get some good dental floss,make sure you have enough floss because it will break alot, not the wax kind either, and double it up and start sawing back and forth and it will just cut the tape.
3. This is the hard part of the whole process, getting the tape off the truck, you will need alot of elbow grease and just rub the black tape off the truck, it does help if you have some kind of heat. (Heat gun or hair dryer) Dont burn your fingers, it does cause blisters. Like I said it is hard this way, have some time and just take it one letter at a time.
4. Get some kind of bug or tar remover to get the sticky adhesive stuff off and then wax the spot were you did all the work...........Like I said others may have a better way. If you have any more questions just ask. SRT-10 again

·
Registered
966 Posts
Blisters

ya i got blister just starting to form on my thumbs..
after getting the emblems off the gummy (called Monkey Snot in the Navy) is still left on the surface.
I used some 3m adhesive remover and my wife's hair dryer to get it the adhesive off.
I just got the fishing line right behind the emblem and started doing a careful sawing action..i got 8 pound fishing line to do the trick...it did break but not as often because i used the 3m stuff to soak in and soften the adhesive.
anyway, be careful as mentined and take your time.
by the way, wifey asked, "where you going with that gun"? I told her out to the garage...she said , Uh uh...not with my hair dryer..what are you going to do with it?
I told her it was for the truck..Oh! she said,, she changed her tune...then said ,,just wondering...
My how the 'tude changes eh...and it WAS of course for a good cause..

D :D :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used 8lb test and it broke alot. might want something stronger.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I used fishing line also not sure of the test. It broke a few times. But I used wd-40 as a lubricant and heated it for a little then used a plastic scraper and the 'monkey goo" came right off. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anyone know where to get the viper letters to replace the ram letters on the doors?

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys, has anyone removed the whole thing (ram srt-10) on the driver side and then ordered a new one and just put back on the srt-10 part so it would be closer to the door edge and fender like the passenger side is........Just wondering, it kind of looks empty. If that sounds right.
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to replace the RAM with the viper emblem. Was going to use the one with the red background on a black truck, should look pretty good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was going to do, but use the red on a red truck. I just dont know if I like the way it is different on each side though. I am picky, sorry!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I know what you mean, but you have to read left to right and I don't know anyway around it. I have to leave the SRT 10, otherwise everyone thinks it's a HEMI and I put wheels on it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
srt-10again said:
Hey guys, has anyone removed the whole thing (ram srt-10) on the driver side and then ordered a new one and just put back on the srt-10 part so it would be closer to the door edge and fender like the passenger side is........Just wondering, it kind of looks empty. If that sounds right.
Thanks

I ordered that and am going to be doing that this weekend. I want to take off all of the block RAM lettering and just have the SRT-10 part on either side. I have no idea how I'll get it done, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
HDVIPER said:
I ordered that and am going to be doing that this weekend. I want to take off all of the block RAM lettering and just have the SRT-10 part on either side. I have no idea how I'll get it done, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Wish me luck!!

Hey man you can do it. If I did it, anyone can. LOL It took about an hour and a half yesterday to get the ram's from both sides off. I do have blisters so just take your time, like everyone else says, have a beer or two and take it. Somebody told me it is a labor of love. Just check page 1 of this thread and peolpe have said how to do it. Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ordered three "viper powered" emblems. The same found on the hood. I am going to replace the "RAM" on both sides with the viper powered logo. I removed the enormous DODGE from the tail gate, and will place the viper powered badge under the srt-10. If they would have only used the same font, we would'nt have to go through this.

·
Supporting Vendor (Bronze)
637 Posts
Use lacquer thinner to remove the adhesive works in about ten minutes no blisters and you will be able to pop the top on the next can - no pain!

jimmyg79 - How much did the Viper Powered emblems cost?

Thanks - john

1 - 20 of 43 Posts