SRT10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed the resonator and welded in just a straight pipe (keeping cat)? Would this gain a little more sound without adding too much "drone" in the cabin of a QC??

Was looking to do this as a cheap sound modification, but didn't want it to sounds like crap in the cab.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have a rc with only cats. no muffler, and its loud but not in side. if i open the rear window its a different story. you guys have a qc but i dont think that would matter much, not sure though. sory i didnt realy answer your question.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took out just the muffler and put a couple pieces of straight pipe with some SS clamps I got from napa... left the resonator in.. sounds wicked lotta pop. not bad in the truck at all and it took me about an hour and 75 bux. well worth the effort.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a magnaflow muffler and i removed my resonator and there is a slight drone that wasnt there before , about 2300-2500 rpm

·
Registered
17 Posts
baasman, shouldn't. unless your in cali and have a nazi granola eating inspector. the rear resonator was put in on most dodge pickups. and are there to remove a drone at 2-4k rpm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have tried a couple of different systems. I settled on removing the muffler and building a 4" magnaflow X pipe to replace it, left the resonator on, other wise to much done.

Many people that have heard my set up think its the best they have heard on our trucks, including people at DC Perfomance. it also picked up 17rwhp if I remember correctly.

I will post pics if I figure out how.

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,633 Posts
viperam 05 said:
I have tried a couple of different systems. I settled on removing the muffler and building a 4" magnaflow X pipe to replace it, left the resonator on, other wise to much done.

Many people that have heard my set up think its the best they have heard on our trucks, including people at DC Perfomance. it also picked up 17rwhp if I remember correctly.

I will post pics if I figure out how.

Where's that "EASY" button when we need one.

VJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
880 Posts
Okay, the resonator was added in '06 to squash a drone that my '04 does not seem to have. Was there a change made to the '06s that caused the drone the resonator had to eliminate? If I delete my '04's muffler will I get the drone or just popping and more noise (and h.p.)?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i took off my resonator, and gained a slight drone, then i took of my rear cats and got rid of my drone!! true story!

·
Banned
880 Posts
Anderson, You have a QC, right? I do not think, but also do not know if the RCs, which is what I am asking about got the resonator in '05 or '06 but only care about the '06 I have and wonder if '04s had a drone also. Again I ask; WAS there a change to the '06s that caused the drone the resonator eliminated?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Danko said:
Anderson, You have a QC, right? I do not think, but also do not know if the RCs, which is what I am asking about got the resonator in '05 or '06 but only care about the '06 I have and wonder if '04s had a drone also. Again I ask; WAS there a change to the '06s that caused the drone the resonator eliminated?
Danko to answer your question I believe all years have the resonator in place, I know the 05's have it.

As far as removing the resonator and not doing anything else I can not speak to that. I initially had a Magnaflow cat back added and left the resonator on (sounded like stock but a little deeper and crisper). Then removed the resonator and got a drone around 70 mph. Put headers on and the drone went away.

The drone was not overbearing in the QC not sure how it would have been in a RC.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The 04's did not have the resonator, it was added in 05 due to the gear ratio changing from 4:10 to 4:56. The gear change meant that the RPM's would be higher, hence more noise at speed. To pass Govt regulation for noise they added the resonator.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts