SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to fly to pick up an 04 Ram SRT-10 with about 30k miles on it, and drive it back home, about 1200 miles.

I'm a fairly competent mechanic. Just wondering if there are any specific things to consider for the drive or tools to pack. Obviously I don't want to lug half my toolbox with me on the plane.

Any input is helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My H-balancer just came off at 60k. It's a known issue. Using AC makes it an issue faster. 2004's eat oil so check the oil a few times on your way back and watch your oil pressure...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My H-balancer just came off at 60k. It's a known issue. Using AC makes it an issue faster. 2004's eat oil so check the oil a few times on your way back and watch your oil pressure...
Is it a defect, like something broke? Or do they just tend to loosen up

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope the previous owner of your SRT regularly maintained it over the last few years, or if you're buying it from a dealer, they honestly updated its maintenance. I bought a 2014 four months ago from the original owner with only 32k miles on it. It's in extremely good condition (now), but a lot of routine maintenance wasn't done with it for a number of years -- it basically started sitting around 5yrs. ago in the garage, and then spent the last 18mths. outside the garage under a car cover. It looks great, and had no engine codes, started fine and sounded great, but still had the original fluids (except for oil which was also years old) throughout. Had original tires, brakes, etc. It was 200 miles from my house, so I didn't take a chance and rented a Uhaul transporter and towed it back.
I changed the oil, clutch, manual tranny and rear diff. fluids in my garage. Drove it to my mechanic who changed out the power steering, coolant and brake fluid. The rear calipers were partially seized, so he rebuilt them when he changed the rotors and pads, but on my 30 min. drive home, as I was <1 mile away a front caliper started to seize. So, in my garage, I rebuilt both front calipers to be on the safe side. I also had new tires, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, and leaky oil cooler lines changed out to JTSVP with the power steering lines. Put on new radiator hoses, heater hoses and a 185 deg. mopar thermostat. And, not to stop there: replace a leaky a/c schrader valve with vacuuming and refill of the a/c system, new windshield wiper motor assembly, and this weekend I'm putting on a new engine coolant temp. sensor to replace the original one which is consistently throwing me a code on my obd scanner.

These are older trucks, and I won't fault the original owner of being tired of taking care of the maint. stuff when he basically stopped driving it. But he thought I could drive it the 200 miles home, and he was cluelessly wrong. But, it's a fun truck to drive to say the least, and now, I'd trust it to take on a full day's drive and not leave me stranded on the side of the road.

-jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
750 miles in so far, so good. The truck does have a brand new clutch and hydraulics, and a new steering pump and lines. Only a few small issues. The suspension creaks a bit in the rear, probably just old dry bushings. The cruise control turns on but doesn't set. It's the same setup I have in my 05 Rubicon and it's broken in the same way. When the lights are on the turn signals hyperflash. Probably need an electronic flasher for the LEDs? And the one that bothers me is it whines above 3,000 rpm. Sounds like a supercharger. Pulleys look lined up, belt looks good. Harmonic balancer is tight. Maybe a bearing on one of the pulleys is dry. Or do these engine always have a bit of a whine?

Seems to pull strong. Getting 15.5 indicated mpg averaging about 85 mph with the AC on

·
Registered
5 Posts
No whine on my engine - does it whine all of the time (while in neutral and revving the engine above 3000rpms) or only when there's a load on the engine with you driving it above 3000rpms?
-jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
I definitely give you credit - more guts than I had with mine (as far as driving it back vs trailering it). Hopefully the sound is from something like the belt tensioner vs needing to replace one of the accessories that's belt driven.
-jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made it home, no problems. Just need to find that whine. Hopefully I can just spin the bearings and listen with a stethoscope

1 - 10 of 10 Posts