SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I just bought a SnugTop Cover for my 05 Black RC. I ended up buying the top of the line SnugTop with the carpeting inside and the better hinge/spring system. It only has one key in the middle that should clear when I mount the wing onto the cover. The cheaper Top had two keys on the corners that would'nt clear the wing. I paid $1,041.00. That included paint, installation and tax - out the door.

Did I get a good price or did I get screwed?

The only option I did'nt get was the electronic opener. They wanted another $250 for that.

Now I have to wait three weeks to get it. Any suggestions on mounting the wing on it. I think I can figure it out but any words of advise would be helpfull.

J.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sounds Good to me, Good Luck :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jay, Check out this thread. http://www.srt10forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431&highlight=kaholo . Lots of good info from 456 and Ed Snare.

I like my Snuglid SL very much. Many complements and bed stays dry here in rain country. Your price sounds is about right, I paid more (see the thread, but mine included installation and shipping to Hawaii).

Reference the solenoid lock, I have not added it as yet, (Ed Snare has it). After installing the wing, I found out that I could rock the standard key parallel in to the key slot with out much trouble.

$250 for the lock sounds a little bit high unless that includes installation. American Campers in Carson CA. Quoted me $170 plus shipping.

I have the factory under rail bed liner. My dealer only had to cut the lip on the front (over the rail by the cab) to install the lid. They did not cut the lip that extends over the top edge on the tailgate, since the Lid extends out over it and it is concealed. I like that since the top edge of the tailgate is what everyone hits when they load something into the bed.

I installed the spoiler my self. Biggest problem I had was to locating and drilling the mounting holes in the correct location. The point that the spoiler contacts the lid causes some distortion in marking the location to drill the holes. The base of the spoiler is flat, and the edge of the lid is starting to round off at the edge that overhangs the bed. I first made a paper template and laid it on the Lid. But wrapping the template around the corner of the lid effectively shortened the distance between the mounting holes on the passenger and driver side of the truck. I had covered lid mounting location with masking tape, so I screwed in cut off bolts in the lid, set the spoiler on the lid and marked to location where the bolts contacted the lid. If you have any more questions I am sure the folks on this forum will be glad to answer.

Also check http://www.srt10forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368 (Jax Ram VCA Clone) for good pictures and discussion of mounting the spoiler to the SnugLid. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The solenoid doesn't work well with the wing. Too heavy for the struts to lift the bed, and so you end up using the key anyway!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I highly recommend the solenoid. The key has to be cut to get under the wing making it very difficult to turn. The solenoid fires twice and I just lift it between fires and it works great. I keep the key in case it ever fails. You will also find your shocks could be a little stronger but if you lift it all the way it stays fine.

Pricing: I bought mine from a dealer in Tampa who installed the lid, spoiler, and wired to direct to battery but with a in line fuse to protect circuit and solenoid etc.,. They charged me $1,169. Snugtop quoted me about $1,250 I think plus shipping and I would have to install myself. It is a pricey setup but well worth it considering the investment in the truck.

Good luck, you'll love the top. :cool:
Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kiddi J :
Check out this web site http://www.americancampershells.com/ . They are a large Snuglid retail outlet and I think they ship world wide. I know they ship direct to Hawaii. I called Snuglid (in CA. recently - they do not sell retail, and they refered me to American Camper Shells as one of there largest dealers in California. P.S. they are on Pacific Standard Time, I did not check what the time difference is between that and Iceland time. So you might have to call at an odd hour for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts