SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks old and I just noted about a seven inch by one inch area on my front driver's side bumper where the paint has been scraped off - no dent though. It must have happened when I turned into my narrow garage. The truck is two weeks old and I am so freakin' pissed. I was going to use the touch up paint left over from my black hemi. Does anybody have a better suggestion before I shoot myself? Andy

·
Registered
105 Posts
No suggestions ....but a pic would help

I don't know about touching up that long of a scratch :confused:

I could post pics of my tailagte that a co-worker knocked two big dents in if it will make you feel better :mad: :mad:

I have to repair those and paint the tailgate in 2 weeks :mad:

At least she offered to pay for it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thats sucks!!! I backed into a guy last week my drivers side rear bumper cover was covered in red paint. I had to wet sand it off with 400 grit. The paint color was fine now I have to sand to 800 before I shoot the clear. However its too damn cold here so i will wait.

If there are any bodymen out there some tips would be appreciated!! ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Suggestion:

Familytruckster said:
Two weeks old and I just noted about a seven inch by one inch area on my front driver's side bumper where the paint has been scraped off - no dent though. It must have happened when I turned into my narrow garage. The truck is two weeks old and I am so freakin' pissed. I was going to use the touch up paint left over from my black hemi. Does anybody have a better suggestion before I shoot myself? Andy
Well, if you're going to shoot yourself, you ought to at least allow us to raffle your truck to benefit your family.

If it's any consolation, I was out my truck for almost a month after a towing company almost tore off the entire front fascia of the truck, damaged both front wheels and tires, and delayed the repairs to my clutch hydraulics for weeks. The a$$holes didn't even bother calling. It was the dealership that let me know what happened. Just got it back Monday. On the plus side, I got to keep the old front part for a nifty shop display, and have a pair of perfectly useable wheels to put drag slicks on. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Took the truck out 3 days ago- washed it today and what do I find, huge rock chip on the hood and a nice crack in the windshield WTF :confused:
it just doesn't pay to enjoy this thing during the winter up here :mad:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys made me feel better. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that has had bad stuff happen. A couple of years ago when I first got the hemi I was on a two lane highway behind three other cars at a dead stop behind a schoolbus when all of a sudden I heard rubber burning for at least what seemed liked ten seconds - wondering where it was coming from I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a pickup truck sliding towards me at about 20 mph. You guessed it. When I got out to look at the car I saw that his truck was destroyed and barely a dent in my bumper. I laughed. I got lucky. A week later it all caught up with me when (after a friend advised me to put a ball on my tow hitch receiver to prevent damage from accidents) I got called in to work for an emergency and backed out of my garage full speed and burried my tow hitch into my wife's Cayenne. Anyway iit is nice to know that I can ***** to somebody who cares about there trucks as much as I do.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The garage thing is tight for me, so much that I have to roll down the drivers window and fold in my mirror then slowly pull in. After getting my windows tinted the shop told me dont roll em down for 3 ro 4 days....well backing out of the garage I did it, put the frontside of the bumper up against the side wall of the garage on exit......of course I was practically panicing but with some cleaner wax I was able to get the light grey paint off my black bumper. The scratches didnt go through to the primer so they are barely visable. I count myself lucky.

We all screw up sometimes and it just pisses us off! I am now very patient in and out of the garage.....I never rush it!!! I also have a long mirror against the back wall that I look into to make sure I am not gonna hit.

patrick

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at the dealer today to drop off the truck for Magnaflow install and showed them the area. They used a wax compound like you had mentioned Patrick and most of it came out. I am very happy. I appreciate everyone listening to me whine like a ***** but at least you guys are a group that could probably understand what I was going through. Andy

·
Registered
966 Posts
touch up paint

Familytruckster said:
I was at the dealer today to drop off the truck for Magnaflow install and showed them the area. They used a wax compound like you had mentioned Patrick and most of it came out. I am very happy. I appreciate everyone listening to me whine like a ***** but at least you guys are a group that could probably understand what I was going through. Andy
i was told by body shop personnel that touch up paint is just that...touch up and not for a paint job.
glad you got that fixed at almost new finish...I felt your pain when that happened! I already have 4 tiny gravel chips on the front of the truck...but they are very, very tiny...touch up paint took care of that... :D

Dallas :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
did it yourselves ...

at least you guys did scrtach your beasts all by yourselves.
For my part, a drunk guy threw a big, enormous, giant bottle of beer a the truck when i was racing last friady night.
I would rather scratch mine myself than havin' it done by a f****g, jealous ,bast****d.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
- Tehaurai - That is reason #23 why I shouldn't keep my Glock in the truck. The dealership was telling me that somebody came by at night and keyed their 04 RC (black) and several other new trucks.
I drive my truck everyday and couldn't imagine leaving the house without it and I always wondered why most of you keep it in the garage all winter. After this mishap I now completely understand. On the bright side the exhaust system is going in in the AM, the cold air kit should be here in a couple of weeks and the stereo system is getting a major upgrade this weekend. I also decided to go with the brushed gas cap that was on my hemi. I saw it on a post with a red SRT (sorry I forget who's pics) and it looked great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
you're damn right about reason #23. Unfortunatly or fortunatly we are not alloweded to possess guns here. Maybe that's why we have a zero murder on the murder billboard ranking..... but how i would like to have a conversation with that empty head guy !!!! (maybe i could borrow your glock to explain him what is right and what is wrong).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Familytruckster said:

Well here is mine, I was at the dealer getting my oil changed, keep in mind this is one morning. They put the 11qrts in, well it was over, go figure. I took it back to get it corrected and someone, I do not know who but one of the dudes with my truck or it was the hot blond that works the service desk opened my driver door and nailed something with the door. It has a 1/2" big scratch just below the door. I did not notice it until the next day when I was waxing it......The dealer said we cant prove it happened while at the dealer because it was the other day. Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Nothing worse than waiting for that first door ding, dent or scratch. It's going to happen, you just don't know when. Drives you crazy. Every time you park somewhere, you look it over and go, good nothing happened. Then that day comes and you see it. It always looks 100X worse than it is. You want to kill the person that did it if you could find them. Luckily you never do.

My wifes FX will be a year old in May. Still perfect, but it's coming. I can feel it. Sometimes I feel like just going out there and putting a small ding in it so it will be over and done with. Just kidding, could never do that. Just have to wait.

·
Registered
93 Posts
black bear said:
Took the truck out 3 days ago- washed it today and what do I find, huge rock chip on the hood and a nice crack in the windshield WTF :confused:
it just doesn't pay to enjoy this thing during the winter up here :mad:

dont much care for the crack in the windshield thing, but I proudly show off chips in the front of the car. I do a lot of traveling and with this truck and my radar detecter/jammer, I drive fast. I figure it is like a race car, they have chips in the front from high speed travel, I have chips in the front from high speed travel. like war wounds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got back from the dealer and after they worked on the truck they ran it down the street to a body shop they use. This guy used something that basically made the truck look almost new. Initially my dealer used some compound formula that Mopar uses ( and it worked great) but this guy finished up the job for free. My mechanic told him I was a good guy and he was nice enough to work on it. I drove around and found him and gave him money - I told him how great it was to meet somebody that would do that for me without even meeting me. The lesson I learned and many of you probably know this is don't apply touch up paint. The truck looks like new and I would never have believed it possible. Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts