SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post here, I am usually over at the VCA board. I just recently started looking at the truck since they released the quad cab version. I've wanted a Viper for as long as I can remember, but the quad cab is making me think twice, the reason being that this is everything you love about a Viper (killer styling, V-10), but is has the practicallity of a truck and you can take more than 1 friend along for the ride. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
viper-srt10 ram

Hey,their both awesome,the truck is slower for sure,but it drives great,has the feel,brakeing is unreal,comfort-sounds and your veiw is great because your up, with the 22 inch tires,low is fine until you are in the city and you feel like the trucks are going to run you over,been there before-
jst my 2-cents
gearheadbill

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I was actually out shopping for a Viper and could barely get my butt in and out of it. The truck I eventually bought was sitting right next to the Viper in the showroom. I sat in the truck just for kicks. I loved the seats and the roominess. I thought about it over night. I went back the next day and bought the truck. I have no regrets, whatsoever. In fact, I've been smiling non-stop for almost 4 weeks straight. For what I was going to pay for the Viper I got my truck and my wife is getting a new 300C next month.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want a super trunk, get an SRT-10.

If you want a super car, wait for the new 'Vette C06/Z06 - one hell of a car for the money - supposedly about $65K.

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06:

0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

2,900 #'s

5.7 #'s/HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and chamfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forged Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold
- Ram Air

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjgxMTQ1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjgxMTQ0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjgxMTQ2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjgxMTQ3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNjgxMTQ4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
YEAH, the new vette is ok, BUT have you seen the prototyps Viper coupe? i do agree the Viper is over priced, and the Vette has WAY better creature comforts. but the Viper is so friggin cool, so friggin fast, that i just cant help but lust after it. the Vette just dosent make me as emotional, and that is something you cant put a price on.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
BOOMER said:
YEAH, the new vette is ok, BUT have you seen the prototyps Viper coupe? i do agree the Viper is over priced, and the Vette has WAY better creature comforts. but the Viper is so friggin cool, so friggin fast, that i just cant help but lust after it. the Vette just dosent make me as emotional, and that is something you cant put a price on.
Well said. I agree completely. I seriously looked at a Vette before I bought my truck. I can appreciate that they are fast and a great performance value but...they just don't excite me like a Viper. Maybe it's that I see too many yuppie type business women driving them around. My wife said that she could handle driving a Vette but the Viper completely intimidated her. Maybe that says it all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Big Asp said:
Well said. I agree completely. I seriously looked at a Vette before I bought my truck. I can appreciate that they are fast and a great performance value but...they just don't excite me like a Viper. Maybe it's that I see too many yuppie type business women driving them around. My wife said that she could handle driving a Vette but the Viper completely intimidated her. Maybe that says it all.
I was referring to the Z06 version of the C06, which is not out yet and will be unveiled at the January Detroit/LA car shows.

Very different animal than the stock C06.

The Z06 version of the C05 will go head-to-head with the current Viper.

The new one is being built to run with the big-boys at 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost.

Just clearing the air. Fact is, I traded my 2002 C05/Z06 for my SRT-10. Much more fun, which is saying a lot. A very different animal.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
drf said:
I was referring to the Z06 version of the C06, which is not out yet and will be unveiled at the January Detroit/LA car shows.

Very different animal than the stock C06.

The Z06 version of the C05 will go head-to-head with the current Viper.

The new one is being built to run with the big-boys at 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost.

Just clearing the air. Fact is, I traded my 2002 C05/Z06 for my SRT-10. Much more fun, which is saying a lot. A very different animal.
i was referring to the same Z06 you are, but the Viper is still the beast for me.
i have lost a lot of faith in corporate GM. why havent they had a car that could compete with the Viper all of this time>they certainley could have. for me it is a little too late.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BOOMER said:
i was referring to the same Z06 you are, but the Viper is still the beast for me.
i have lost a lot of faith in corporate GM. why havent they had a car that could compete with the Viper all of this time>they certainley could have. for me it is a little too late.
I know where you are coming from and tend to fully agree.

But, if the Viper was first prize in a contest and the new Z06 was second, I wouldn't be too PO'ed if I only won second prize. ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
saw a new Z06 last week at like 11pm

here in the detroit area (actually in warren, by the tech center)

i actually had a great talk with the guy driving, (at least as good as it gets a stop lights)

he was testing the car by driving it around
he would not go in to any specs other then it was a 427 and yes it was fast

he took off quick but not like he should have but it was late and cold out

the car had the usual spy coverings over it, the black material over the hood and rear deck

the exhaust sounded better then a reguler vette but not loud enough for my liking but our trucks are too quiet

hopefully more Z06s show up i can get a photo

Jamie

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
drf said:
I know where you are coming from and tend to fully agree.

But, if the Viper was first prize in a contest and the new Z06 was second, I wouldn't be too PO'ed if I only won second prize. ;)
You make a good point. I know the Vette, especially the Z06, is a wonderful car worthy of respect, but still, the Viper stirs my soul like no other!

I had a fun experience at Carlsbad Raceway a few years ago. I had a '96 Camaro SS and went to the track to make a few passes. It turned out to be the same day that the Viper Club of Southern California showed up. It was awesome. There must have been at least 20 of them and they were running 10 to 12 second ETs. There was a guy there with a C5 Z06. He drove it out from back east where he did some test driving for GM. I went over to chat with him and said, "You sure picked a bad day to show up at the track." He laughed and said, "I sure did." He was running low 13s that day. I got paired up with one of the Vipers in the Camaro. I actually stayed with him for the first ten feet and then he was gone! It was a blast to watch all those cars run.

I know the new Z06 will be that much quicker and will run similar numbers as the current Viper. The burning question is, "Will Chrysler allow that to happen or do they have something up their sleeve to ensure that the Viper remains the king of the street?"

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I think all of em all totally rad....vettes are everywhere though, maybe not z06's but lots of vettes on the road......with the srt10 truck, you definatly turn some heads and still can blast over to costco and stock up and get it home. You have power, looks and some practicality.....besides I am to big to climb in and out of a car on the ground...

patrick

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Exactly why I bought the ram srt Maui. We have a convertable vette and its nice, but you see them everyday, and even the ZO6 you might not see it as often but, I've had the RC for 4 or 5 months now and have yet to see another on the road. Even the Viper is a rare bird to see often. But to have something as unusual as a truck with 500 hp and a v-10 viper motor to boot is just unusual. Gotta love being one of 3000 and not one of 30,000. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
mauiSRT/10 said:
with the srt10 truck, you definatly turn some heads and still can blast over to costco and stock up and get it home. You have power, looks and some practicality.....besides I am to big to climb in and out of a car on the ground...

patrick
That's one of the major things I like about the SRT-10 over the 'Vette - your up in the air and still have the performance but with practicality.

Sports-cars are nice, but ride too low for me at this point of my life. It's like your a damn mouse scurrying around.

With the SRT-10, you sort of lord-over everything - great feeling!!!!

I have had mine since late July and the local dealer just got a yellow quad-cab in stock - my black RC has been the only one around town. I had to go to a dealer 50-miles away to find it.

I just love initimidating about everything with it - especially ricers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts