SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Guys, today I did the unthinkable (from DC's viewpoint anyway). I hooked up a trailer to my SRT-10, then loaded my 3.550lb. GMC Syclone onto it, and pulled it 75 miles down the road to the dragstrip! Then, back home a little later.

What can I say? I took it easy and used common sense, as everyone should when towing. The SRT did the duty with EASE! NO clutch problems whatsoever! No slipping or stinky clutch smell at all! The suspension had ZERO problems handling the extra weight and drove down the road without incident. The trailer had surge brakes, and when combined with the excellent brakes on the Dodge, stopping was never an issue. Pulling power was something that never worried me with this truck, and now I KNOW that it's got p-l-e-n-t-y to tow a 5,000lb. trailer! It pulls out with ease in 1st, and can easily accelerate through the gears. I will admit that I did NOT use 6th gear today as I think it puts too much of a load on the engine/trans. The RPM's in 6th are just too low to tow with, IMO. On the highway I kept it in 5th, running around 2,000rpm's, give or take, depending on the speed limits, and it worked out great! I ended up averaging about 10.5 mpg for my 150 mile round trip, which is pretty close to what my Lightning used to do when towing my Syclone.

From what I experienced today, if you want to tow with the SRT, all you need is common sense and the ability to be smooth with the clutch. If you can get your truck moving with just the slightest touch of the gas, say around 1,000rpm's, then IMO you won't have any problems hauling your load down the road! I used my Lightning to tow my Syclone a few times, and I can honestly say that I think the SRT does the job every bit as good! From here on in, I won't hesitate to use my SRT to tow again.

Oh, one more thing. My Syclone ran good enough to get my ass tossed outta the strip today (No rollcage/firesuit etc.)!! So, *For the time being*, I'm faster than the Big, Bad, Twin Turbo Ram SRT-10, and I'm doing it on street tires!! Ahh, the beauty of All Wheel Drive!;) Check the sig! :D :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice work, Mike. Looks like a pro, and safe, setup. Good to know it *can* tow if the owner so desires.

BTW- Your Syclone only weighs 3.550 lbs?
:D
My old boss had a badazz white Typhoon. Boy, was that thing a neck-snapper. I'd be surprised if he still has a license. LOL

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Sounds great Mike......in the tens too, man that is scary fast!!! "Sorry boy yer gonna need a fiiiiiresuit to run our track"!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

patrick

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I was running 21psi for my 2 runs yesterday with a tankful of VP C16 (117 Octane!! :eek: ). There was a real Stiff 20mph Headwind, and my 60's weren't the best they ever been. I wanted to go for a 3rd run and crank the boost to 23psi, but that never happened. Although, I couldn't ask for better Turbo Weather ---> Mid 40's and dry. :D

I figure with a slightly better hook, NO headwind, and a bit more boost, the truck could go 10.5 ~130mph. Maybe try again in the Spring? ;)
Kevan said:
BTW- Your Syclone only weighs 3.550 lbs?
:D
My old boss had a badazz white Typhoon. Boy, was that thing a neck-snapper. I'd be surprised if he still has a license. LOL
Yeah, I weighed it a few years back and that was the number, WITHOUT my 250lb. azz in it!

The Typhoons are generally about 500lbs. heavier than the Syclones, but with the same drivetrain, they'll launch just as hard! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hamrhead
Nice job with the 10's, and on street tires! WOW.
Its good to hear about the towing. I am going to be getting a trailor to tow my vette to the strip also. :D

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1baddodge said:
Hamrhead
Nice job with the 10's, and on street tires! WOW.
Its good to hear about the towing. I am going to be getting a trailor to tow my vette to the strip also. :D
Thank You. Ya gotta love AWD AND Drag Radials!! :D

Like I said, as long as you aren't a maniac while towing, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effortless it pulls the load! :cool:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice runs Hammer. We'll try to catch up to your ET soon, but lugging 1800 lbs more than you (5400 lbs v 3600 lbs) down the track makes it interesting for us.

·
Registered
974 Posts
John Hennessey said:
Nice runs Hammer. We'll try to catch up to your ET soon, but lugging 1800 lbs more than you (5400 lbs v 3600 lbs) down the track makes it interesting for us.
Boy that's a no ****ter their! Yeah nice numbers hammer.. I seriously need a ride in that bad boy :)

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John Hennessey said:
Why Thank You Sir!

While you do have much more 'tonnage' to move, you also have almost TWICE the displacement to do it! (262cid vs. 505cid)

I have no doubt you guys will get in the tens, but the cool part about the Syclone is when you pull your 800hp beast up next to me at a red light on the street, will you be able to hook on street tires, like me? :D ;)

At any rate, Thanks Again and Good Luck on your quest for 10's!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Titan said:
Boy that's a no ****ter their! Yeah nice numbers hammer.. I seriously need a ride in that bad boy :)
Well catch a plane and come on over dude!

Launch Pic from this past Saturday(On Street Legal Drag Radials :D ):

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hamrhead said:
Why Thank You Sir!

While you do have much more 'tonnage' to move, you also have almost TWICE the displacement to do it! (262cid vs. 505cid)

I have no doubt you guys will get in the tens, but the cool part about the Syclone is when you pull your 800hp beast up next to me at a red light on the street, will you be able to hook on street tires, like me? :D ;)

At any rate, Thanks Again and Good Luck on your quest for 10's!
No doubt, your ride is gonna beat just about anything else on street tires from a dead stop.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on those times, I hope my ty makes those times after the mods are completed. I have a ? ,did you have better 60ft times with the ZR-1's or with the stock rims? I'm not sure if i should buy ZR-1's. thanks.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pachy said:
Congrats on those times, I hope my ty makes those times after the mods are completed. I have a ? ,did you have better 60ft times with the ZR-1's or with the stock rims? I'm not sure if i should buy ZR-1's. thanks.
Obviously, it depends on the tire you plan on using.

From what owners at www.syty.net have posted, you'll get better 60's with the stock rims and a sticky tire.

The ZR1's are more for appearance bacause they look cool, and they give that 'mini-tubbed' look from the back.

My 60's are better with the ZR1's because I put BFG Drags on them vs. the Original Firestones on my stock rims(My Sy has only 11.5K on the odometer, so the original tires have plenty of tread left, but have gotten hard after 14 years).

A few peeps are using a tire they call 'Green Dots' on stock rims, which I *think* are retreads, but apparantly they are ultra-sticky tires! Even more than Drag Radials! :eek: I believe they are $cheap$ too!

Go visit www.SyTy.net and do some searching around. It's a great source of info for our Syclones and Typhoons.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Hamrhead :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts