SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about before, but I'm thinking this is the direction I might want to go. I have no plans of Turbocharging/Supercharging/Nitrous, or serious engine work. I use my truck as a daily driver and want it to remain reliable as well. I feel as if the gearing is too high from the factory, especially in 1st. Just letting the clutch out at idle in some parking lots I feel as if I'm going too fast sometimes, so I tend to release it and coast to slow down.

I'm not 100% what gears are stock (411's?), but does anyone have a source for lower gears? I'm thinking 456's or so. I think this ratio would allow me to make a full 1/4 mile pass and still have plenty of RPM left in 4th gear. Oh, does the ECM need to be modified for a gear change with a manual trans? :confused:

I tend to think this would be easier on the clutch, at least off the line, and it would make it even more of a blast on the street! :D

TIA!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I know what you mean about first gear at slow speeds. I find the truck gets "torquey" when you try to drive slow especially in traffic jam situations. I dont know about changing anything, I just am getting use to the feel of it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You should be able to get them from Dodge soon as that will be the gear in the QC's. I think that would be the ticket if you don't plan any serious engine mods. Another way would be to go to a shorter tire or maybe both. I bet any decent rear end shop could get you what you want. I haven't heard that there was anything special about the Dana in there.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
456 and above

The positraction ring gear carrier in the SRT-10 RAM stock will accomodate a 4.10 and higher ratio. To go to 4.56 or above the differential carrier must be changed.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
fstjack said:
The positraction ring gear carrier in the SRT-10 RAM stock will accomodate a 4.10 and higher ratio. To go to 4.56 or above the differential carrier must be changed.

Ummm, that sucks. :( I guess it's nothing that enough ca$h can't get accomplished. :rolleyes:

I'm not really interested in swapping wheels/tires as they're part of what identifies this truck from the masses. :)

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
fstjack said:

Not true,

I am sporting the 4:56 gears as we speak. I have 800 miles on them and I must say the truck is definitely alot quicker through the first 3 gears.

In regards to the fit, the gears do have to be shimmed just right. You can get a carrier to fit so you don't have to shimm them, theres a bolt style adjustment in the carrier. Price: $600.00 for the carrier.

It took my mechanic two trys to get the backlash set just right. But no problems so far. I have jumped on it several times getting a big bark out of third with no problem.

I must through in that I also installed a lightweight flywheel, and centerforce clutch at the same time. I didn't want to do 2 breakin periods.

With this set up the truck feels much quicker than stock.

I will keep everyone posted on how the gears hold up. You may want to wait and see how mine hang in there. Just call me the Guinnea Pig.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gears

Mark, What did you do to correct the speedo,anything have to be done to the ecm? Do you have the part # you used for the centerforce clutch? Also did you use the stock Slave cyl.or did you convert to the Viper? Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
MOFO,

I did not recalibrate the speedo. It may be off by a mile or two but I cant tell.
I will get out my Chronograph watch and do a measured mile. That should tell me if I'm way off.

My next goodie will be the Vec2 programmer and if it's off I will be able to re-calibrate it.

I don,t remember the Clutch model # wich I had installed. I will try to get it from the mechanic who installed it. And yes I did upgrade to the Viper Master Cylinder and slave cylinder. It shifts sooooo much better now. The truck is truly alot easier to shift. I was missing third on a regular basis with the stock clutch but no problems now.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
456 gears

i too am gonna do this. i think it is Strange Engineering who is selling the dana 60 rear ends now, cause i am getting one for my 67 camaro. i will look their # up tonight, i am going to call them to order the gears for my truck. :D

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
456 gear MPH

This is the speed difference in 4th gear of 4.10 vs 4.56.
2500 RPM
4.10 = 57.35
4.56 = 51.56

3000 RPM
4.10 = 68.82
4.56 = 61.87

·
Registered
974 Posts
Marc T said:
Not true,

I am sporting the 4:56 gears as we speak. I have 800 miles on them and I must say the truck is definitely alot quicker through the first 3 gears.

In regards to the fit, the gears do have to be shimmed just right. You can get a carrier to fit so you don't have to shimm them, theres a bolt style adjustment in the carrier. Price: $600.00 for the carrier.

It took my mechanic two trys to get the backlash set just right. But no problems so far. I have jumped on it several times getting a big bark out of third with no problem.

I must through in that I also installed a lightweight flywheel, and centerforce clutch at the same time. I didn't want to do 2 breakin periods.

I will keep everyone posted on how the gears hold up. You may want to wait and see how mine hang in there. Just call me the Guinnea Pig.
If you don't mind
what's the part number for the centerforce clutch and lightened flywheel?
As for the 3.56 gears I am very interested in that as well. How much did rear end work cost you??

Thanks,
Titan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting that you guys should be discussing this today. I was thinking about this in my way into the office today. Out of curiousity, what gears are in the stock truck?

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Marc T said:
Not true,

Marc T - Thanks for being the Guinnea Pig! :p ;) Nah, really, I DO appreciate your insight.

Is there a way to correct the speedo without the Vec 2 programmer? I'm kinda hesitant to get this programmer as I'm not exactly a 'wiz' with computers. How difficult is it for 'noobs? :rolleyes:

Oh, where did ya purchase the 456 gears? TIA

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hamrhead said:
Marc T - Thanks for being the Guinnea Pig! :p ;) Nah, really, I DO appreciate your insight.

Is there a way to correct the speedo without the Vec 2 programmer? I'm kinda hesitant to get this programmer as I'm not exactly a 'wiz' with computers. How difficult is it for 'noobs? :rolleyes:

Oh, where did ya purchase the 456 gears? TIA
I.m not sure. I really don't think the speedo is off if any at all.. During my drive around familiar roads I am driving at the same speed I always do(around 5 mph over limit) and i.m moving with traffic as always. It just doesn't feel like it's off. I will break out the Omega Chronograph watch and get on the freeway tommorrow and check it. It will tell me if it,s off within 1 mph or so.

I don't know of any other source to correct it other than the Vec2. From what I hear the hardest part is the install, after that it,s supposedly very user friendly. I.m sure some of the Viper owners can shed alot more light on it.

My dealer purchased the Gears through R&P . Very reputable source. They were very helpfull in tips on propper installation.

I want to point out something now before you guys run out and buy a set. I do have some gear noise comming from the gears. It is not very loud, Can only be heard when backing off the throttle. You only hear it if you listen for it. R & P said this is normal. It,s is clearly stated in there break-in instruction sheet that some gear noise is normal.

I had the oil changed in the diff today, after 850 miles. Looked great, no metal shavings to be found, the gears looked great. I will keep pushing them to see if they fail, so hang on for a couple more weeks before you buy yours, unless you want to lay rubber in third!!!!

Enclosing some photos of new goodies I have put on the truck. What do you think of the custom fuel door??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
On the fuel door photos, those spots are reflections not scratches. The guys who painted it did a Jam up job. Prep was the biggest issue. with the chrome plating they had too sand blast it then apply a special primer so the paint would stick.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Well I took it out on I-95 got it uo to 66MPH using cruise control on a very flat stretch and timed a measured mile with my Chronograph and the damn speedo is right on. Go figure.

Anyone know where the speedo picks up its info from. Or maybe the Tech adjusted it via the computer and just didn,t tell me.

I will have to ask the next time I see him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Decals

where did you get the "no its not a hemi" an mopar decals???

1 - 20 of 73 Posts