SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just came back from a 1400 mile round trip in my Ram SRT-10. I was going through the mountains above Asheville NC on the way to Knoxville, TN. and tried to make a lane change at 80 mph. I found out that our steering is even quicker than I realized at that speed.

I have never been so absolutely scared for my life in any vehicle! I've done many lane changes previously at that speed. The response went from controllable to terrifying in an instant. Is there some way to make the steering more proportional?

Is there any way to fit some sort of variable ratio or proportioning valve to slow the steering down at higher speeds? I know it can be done, any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jax Ram said:
Guys,

I just came back from a 1400 mile round trip in my Ram SRT-10. I was going through the mountains above Asheville NC on the way to Knoxville, TN. and tried to make a lane change at 80 mph. I found out that our steering is even quicker than I realized at that speed.

Is there any way to fit some sort of variable ratio or proportioning valve to slow the steering down at higher speeds? I know it can be done, any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark
HAHA. I've had my truck to 140+mph several times. All I can say is the steering is propotional to the speed. If you've never driven fast, it'll catch you by suprise. Especially in a sports car or anything with a nicely tuned suspension. Trust me, you want the steering to be steep/touchy/sensative at high speeds. At 120mph, a shift of the steering wheel the distance of a quarters width (not thickness) at 1000 yards out is just enough to get into the passing lane and pass a car by a gnats ass.

FWIW, the faster you drive, the more aware, the more in tuned, the quicker your reflexes should be.

BTW they make something to soften the steering.. It's called a BRAKE :)

Craig

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast Steering

SRTX3,

I wonder why police officers who are highly trained drivers are provided with cruisers with proportional steering ratios that slow down the steering the faster that they drive and regular guys like me have to be that much more careful when I try to do a simple lane change.

I guess I'll have to spend some money to go to a driving school so I can appreciate the steering ratio that D-C provided me?

Mark

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jax Ram said:
SRTX3,

I wonder why police officers who are highly trained drivers are provided with cruisers with proportional steering ratios that slow down the steering the faster that they drive and regular guys like me have to be that much more careful when I try to do a simple lane change.

I guess I'll have to spend some money to go to a driving school so I can appreciate the steering ratio that D-C provided me?

Mark
I did a quick search on google, looking for proportional steering in cop cars, and came up empty. I also looked to see where crown vics, and ltd's had upgraded steering, and came up empty. I was unaware that police cruisers had this. I suspect that it could be done on the SRT10 if they are doing on cop cars.

Cheers.

Craig

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have adjustable steering on my 2001 Z06 Corvette...I notice a slight tightening at about 100 mph. I have only had my new Ram SRT 10 up to 95 mph and have not noticed any uncomfortable steering sensations. The Vette adjustable steering is most noticeable in tight parking situations where you can turn the steering wheel with one finger.

This Ram SRT 10 has about the same "torque feel" as the Z06. Can't believe the acceleration for this 5,100 pound beast versus the 3,000 pound Z06!!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
badgerhockey said:
This Ram SRT 10 has about the same "torque feel" as the Z06. Can't believe the acceleration for this 5,100 pound beast versus the 3,000 pound Z06!!
Kinda Cool ain't it? :cool: :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't say enough good things about this Ram SRT 10...first non-GM vehicle I have owned. Very good exterior and interior quality, love that "bent" Hurst shifter...much more precise than my T56 6-speed in my Z06...less notchy. Cab is quieter than my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

I get some pretty good looks in the Z06 but I have been getting "triple takes" in this SRT 10. The teenagers especially love it.

Thanks Dodge!!

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Roktman said:
I could have saved 15K on another Denali with the employee discount and 5K rebate.I paid sticker for my truck.Doesn`t make good sense I guess.I do love it though!
Yeah you could have saved some $ but you would have been driving a soccer bus suv instead of a supercool hotrod truck!!! And lets us not forgot all the young girls that check "us" out now!!!! Ha Ha :D LOL

Somebody said to me yesterday that they have never seen someone so obsessed with a vehicle as me!!!! My reply was "hell yes" I love her!!!

patrick

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mark, I would agree that the steering is to (GOOD). At high speeds, and even low speeds, it turns so fast. There has to be away, to make it a little (tighter).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts