SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 06 QC is completely stock and puts out MUCH more HP at the wheels.
The dyno sheet you posted shows for 1978 Ram Charger ..??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I forgot to change the folder name on the dyno computer....
How much did yours put down, can you post the sheet?
This truck is like whisper quiet, so quiet all I could hear is the tires on the rollers, which makes me thing the cats or the muffler stuffing is all plugged up. Also I do not have a programmer to turn off torque management.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to jump in here but any chance that it has something to do with the gear ratios you've got there? I don't happen to know the ratios off the top of my head, but if those are from the Ramcharger and not the 10, then maybe that is throwing off the pull numbers by some factor.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
My '06 QC pulled 414/457, although I have most of the bolt-on mods. I think I have one of the "infamous" trucks that left the factory with the bad cam :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My '06 QC pulled 414/457, although I have most of the bolt-on mods. I think I have one of the "infamous" trucks that left the factory with the bad cam :(
Me Too Peter. On the retarded cam install.:frown

As most of you know my 2006 RC had a lack of HP from the factory. A few other 06 owners have had the same issue. I brought this problem to Ron last year after my truck did not respond to any tunes. We did a dozen or more dyno runs, tried all sorts of tunes. Nothing worked.
I asked rottenronnie if he could look into it a bit deeper and try to find a solution. Ron and Jason spent a lot of time going over my engine trouble-shooting. Everything they checked was in spec. A BBK TB and TPS was installed and the truck was still flat.
Ron and Jason pulled the heads and found evidence of the problem. Everything had been pointing to a timing issue and after some more work, it was confirmed that the cam was retarded.
A new custom Striker cam was installed (and a couple of other changes) and wow what a difference!
I drove my truck home today from their shop in -20c, so I had to behave, but my truck is making some power now! We still have some dyno and tuning work to do, once the weather is better.

Thanks to Ron and Jason for going beyond the call to solve this problem. Both of you are very knowledgeable, professional and did top notch work

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
trainguy, can you stop for a minute and wipe my drool off your keyboard? That is an amazing story and it gives me hope. So JEALOUS! Where can I find good help like that in Virginia? I hate having a beast like this that's not living up to it's full potential. I have tires to shred, ya know!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
trainguy, can you stop for a minute and wipe my drool off your keyboard? That is an amazing story and it gives me hope. So JEALOUS! Where can I find good help like that in Virginia? I hate having a beast like this that's not living up to it's full potential. I have tires to shred, ya know!
He was quoting me!:wink

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If your truck wouldn't mind spending some time in PA I would be more than happy to put a cam in it as well as degree it in to make sure you don't have any more retarded timing.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Is there a way to determine if a truck has one of the bad cams...say by VIN number...or any way?
It has been sort of random. With only a few figuring it out over the years, on the various forums, I don't think anyone compared VINs to see if they were built close together.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
An easy way to find out is to do some dyno pulls. If your rwhp and torque are way lower than normal (but the truck runs fine), you most likely have the cam issue.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
He was quoting me!:wink
That was exactly were it came from. I did not mean to have it come off as my own. It was an excellent description of what some of us 06 owners are suffering from. Seems like there is about 30hp locked up in there that needs to come out. I did like Peter did CAI, Tony's Crank Underpully and TB, Catless Mids by JMB, Torrie Tune and still at 414 at The RW.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
I'm going to have to remedy this situation sooner than later... 414hp is weak for this truck! I want 500+ at the wheels so I'm going to have to get crackin'. Now, how do I grow a money tree again? :)

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
My 2005 QC was 389 bone stock.
The sticks were higher at 425 (typically) for the Gen IIIs.

That 389 was also on a Dynojet which tend to read higher than the other wheel dynos.

Install a vacuum gauge. They can determine if your valve timing events are late.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My 2005 QC was 389 bone stock.
The sticks were higher at 425 (typically) for the Gen IIIs.

That 389 was also on a Dynojet which tend to read higher than the other wheel dynos.

Install a vacuum gauge. They can determine if your valve timing events are late.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. That 389 number seems low for an 05 compared to some of the "talk" on several forums even for an automatic. Peter an I have had our trucks on the Dyno both are 06 his being a QC mine is a RC. Peter's numbers are in the 414 range mine are 418 both have similar mods with all that being said you mentioned a vacuum gauge to determine if valve timing events are late? What is normal vacuum for these trucks an what would the vacuum be if these cams were installed retarded to meet emission standards?

Thank You
Trainguy

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That 389 number seems low for an 05 compared to some of the "talk" on several forums even for an automatic. Peter an I have had our trucks on the Dyno both are 06 his being a QC mine is a RC. Peter's numbers are in the 414 range mine are 418 both have similar mods with all that being said you mentioned a vacuum gauge to determine if valve timing events are late? What is normal vacuum for these trucks an what would the vacuum be if these cams were installed retarded to meet emission standards?

Thank You
Trainguy
It depends on altitude; and assuming the engine has NO vacuum leaks anywhere on the intake manifold, a stock-cammed Gen III should pull 12" of vacuum at idle. If it is down around 10.5", you may have an engine with late valve timing events.

If that is the case, the camshaft was either ground wrong, installed late, or the locating dowel is in the wrong location. Any of these conditions can produce a lazy engine that makes low torque/horsepower and is hard on fuel.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 31 Posts