SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a TIPM for a 2006 regular cab? Other than the dealership? I've tried several places with no luck. Any help in the right direction is appreciated. The truck has been down for 2 weeks, and I would be more in a bind if I hadn't been traveling so much for work since then.Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
You might try moparpartsoverstock.com. They have new OEM parts at discounted prices. I think this is the same as used across all the 06-?? year trucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find a TIPM for a 2006 regular cab? Other than the dealership? I've tried several places with no luck. Any help in the right direction is appreciated. The truck has been down for 2 weeks, and I would be more in a bind if I hadn't been traveling so much for work since then.Thanks!!
It may sound stupid but what is a TIPM? I gave up on acronyms when I got out of the service.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
That is the other controller that is part of your fuse box and is located under all of the fuses. When you have a headlight go out and there is no power to it and it acts like a fuse is blown? It's not a fuse because there are no fuses for the headlights, it's a $900 TIPM!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
There are companies out there that rebuild them for about half the costs of a new one if you don't mind your truck being down for a week or two. One of my employees had problems with his on his 2011 Ram. He kept having strange electrical issues that would change every couple of days. We removed all the plugs on the TIPM and added di-electric grease to all the connections. It didn't immediately go away but evenually all the electrical gremlins vanished and he hasn't had any problems since.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There are companies out there that rebuild them for about half the costs of a new one if you don't mind your truck being down for a week or two. One of my employees had problems with his on his 2011 Ram. He kept having strange electrical issues that would change every couple of days. We removed all the plugs on the TIPM and added di-electric grease to all the connections. It didn't immediately go away but evenually all the electrical gremlins vanished and he hasn't had any problems since.
Would you have any contact info on the repair places?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, for the delay guys. I've been doing a lot of traveling for work lately. I did find one online somewhere, but I'm afraid they've changed the part number from 4692046AN to 4692046AP. I'm waiting for it to arrive to see if its the right part, so I can decide rather or not to return it.

I have heard of people replacing this module with the wrong part number for a Hemi Ram; causing tons of problems. If it is indeed the wrong part I too would like to find somewhere that might rebuild it. Most of the places I called the past couple weeks did not have the part (4692046AN) in stock. Thanks for you help, and sorry again for the delay!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Only the 06 as it has a Canbus wiring system in it and it is completely different form the 04-05.
Nice! That leaves one less thing I need for my truck. Haha
Try searching under MODULE. I seen contact info for a place that repairs them but can't seem to find it again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I got the new part installed and picked up the truck on Wednesday. Drove it around fine for 2 days; Now the truck is doing the same thing as before where it just shut off while driving. The only odd symptom I've noticed between both incidents is that the water temperature gauge won't read when you try to restart the truck. As soon as that gauge starts reading again the truck will start and shortly after die. Just like you shut the key off. Suggestions?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If the engine just shuts off while driving sounds like a Cam or crank sensor. Are you getting any trouble codes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Absolutely no trouble codes. I've tried plugging my scanner into the OBDII port when this happens, but all I get is an error message... Kind of like it can't communicate with the computer. When the truck will start, the scanner has no trouble at all and no codes are stored. I will look more into the cam and crank sensors. I've read about those giving these trucks a fit. But I'm unfamiliar with how they work in this system to know if that's causing all this trouble. Thanks again guys! More advice and suggestions are definitely appreciated still.

Additionally, the truck is now at a dodge dealership to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The sensor creates a small magnetic field at it's tip. The metal flywheel or cam gear has teeth & windows the sensor reads. When metal tooth is directly in front of it, it breaks the magnetic field. When a space or window is directly in front of it, this allows the magnetic field to be created. The computer uses this off - on signal to determine the exact position of the crank at any given time. All this information is needed to know when to fire the spark plugs. No Signal Runney

·
Registered
314 Posts
Absolutely no trouble codes. I've tried plugging my scanner into the OBDII port when this happens, but all I get is an error message... Kind of like it can't communicate with the computer. When the truck will start, the scanner has no trouble at all and no codes are stored. I will look more into the cam and crank sensors. I've read about those giving these trucks a fit. But I'm unfamiliar with how they work in this system to know if that's causing all this trouble. Thanks again guys! More advice and suggestions are definitely appreciated still.

A bad cam or crank sensor will normally not throw a code. The problem with some "mechanics" is if there's no code it's not broke.

Additionally, the truck is now at a dodge dealership to be diagnosed.
The scan tool the dealer has is far superior to a SCT box or code scanner that can only give you a fault code number.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts