SRT10 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Can you provide some more details? When the truck stops is it while cruising, accelerating, coming to a stop? Does it stumble and die or just die instantly? Do you lose power to anything when it stops(radio, lights, etc.)?
And just to clarify - after it stops you turn the key to the on position and the water temp gauge does not respond and the engine will not crank or not start until you get a response from the temp gauge. How long does that take and does the engine crank when the gauge doesn't respond?

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Don't know if this is your problem or not but I learned long ago when computer controlled motors first started appearing that removing and cleaning all the ground connections is an easy/quick first step in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When the truck dies there are no set conditions. Cruising, accelerating, stopping makes no difference, its died under all of these circumstances. The truck dies instantly, no warnings, stumbling; just like you turned the key off while driving. I do not lose any electrical power. radio keeps playing lights stay on, even the blinkers continue to work.

When the water temp gauge does not respond the engine will crank but it will not start. I have power to everything while this is happening. As soon as the gauge shows a reading again the truck will crank and start.

I tried removing the several ground connections and disconnecting the negative battery cable, but no dice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The local Dodge dealership called today to say, their technician that was working on the vehicle had traced it down to being an internal short in the PCM. EXTREMELY bad news... I can find a few online for sale north of $2,000. Does anyone know if there's any chance of it being rebuilt anywhere or a cheaper alternative? If not it may be time to trade it in, if they can be convinced to take it. Thanks, again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update:

After doing some research and searching on this forum, I've called the dodge dealership to make sure they checked for any burned wires that may be causing a short leading to the PCM, but they said they found nothing like that. It was actually the first thing they checked for.

I called the shop that originally replaced the TIPM module, and they told me that the module was replaced because the pigtails leading into it and the module itself was extremely corroded underneath. They cleaned the pigtails as best they could with the file and greased the terminals, but the module itself was ruined with rust. I told them the results the dealership came up with, and was told that could have definitely happened with the way that module was corroded. I'm assuming all that rust would've caused several shorts that could've caused damage to resistors and things inside the PCM??

I have found that viperspecialtyperformance has the PCM for sale for $600. Does anyone have any other information about them? I've heard good things, but would like verification. I also see it says they may be closed until the 14th while they look at relocation possibilities.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I spoke to Dan at length while looking for a shop to rebuild my engine. He seemed like a very knowledgeable guy. Back in April (est time frame) he was looking to swap out your good factory 2 door PCM (even up) for one of HIS new units with a performance tune. He needed the 2 door PCM for the internal circuits that work the auto trans. I guess they were not readily available else ware. This way he could offer your old (rebuilt) PCM to fix a 4 door truck with an auto trans problem. He should be able to help you out some how. Sucks you have to wait to call him. Believe me it know what it's like to be without a truck especially if she's your D. D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was looking for a phone number on the website, but I couldn't find one. They just had an email contact. Did i miss something?

This seems like very good news though. Trying to clarify though, you say he would trade for a good factory 2 door pcm, but mine is faulty.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was looking for a phone number on the website, but I couldn't find one. They just had an email contact. Did i miss something?

This seems like very good news though. Trying to clarify though, you say he would trade for a good factory 2 door pcm, but mine is faulty.
1. If I remember correctly I emailed him first. Then he called me back. The number I have is 716.912.5336
2. I believe that PCM swap was a limited time offer. I'm sure the swap was for a 100% GOOD PCM so yours would not apply.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I'm not buying that diagnosis. How does a PCM work fine one moment and short out the next only to start up again later. I believe it is possible that you have a defective PCM but not due to rust or shorting - both of these conditions would be consistant unless the rust is in the wiring harness connection and that could be corrected. They sell a terminal cleaning spray that is specifically for this condition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I originally believed the PCM to be the problem when my scanner, the shop I took it too firsts scanner, and the dealerships scanner couldn't communicate with the PCM when it would act up. I'm really not sure what to think. I hate to spend nearly $1000 again if this isn't going to fix the problem. I'm almost 100% sure its in the wiring still. It appears to be a common probnlem with the wiring getting burned and shorting out. I would like to look for myself rather than taking someone else's word. I also really need the truck up and running because its currently my daily driver until I finish the rebuild of my car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Give Dan a shout when he gets back. He should be able to trouble shoot your existing PCM to be sure it's the problem. Try to find a safe place for the truck to be stored while the PCM is out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update:

I've been to the shop to check the truck out, and I couldn't find any burnt or loose wires that may cause a short. I'm going with the dealership diagnosis who restated that it may be a fault in the PCM. They didn't use the word "short" this time, and I didn't say anything to correct them either time.

Additionally, I've been communicating with Dan via email. He does the replacement in stock for the 2006 manual transmission. So hopefully more good news is to come after i send in my core and receive the replacement. I will update again after the install and enough time has passed that I can decide whether or not this fixed the problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Final Update...hopefully:

I got the replacement PCM from Dan at VSP,preprogrammed and ready to drop in. Had it put in and picked the truck up on Thursday. Everything's been good thus far. I'm finally enjoying the truck again after not being able to drive it for a month and half. =)

Special thanks to everyone that helped with this issue on this board and of course to Dan at VSP! Its greatly appreciated guys. Also, to the local dodge dealership, had no real issues at all with them, and they were extremely accommodating.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts