SRT10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angryfire
Recently i purchased a 2006 SRT10 (23000 miles on it) (super exicted) i had it about 3 weeks and noticed that the power steering was leaking and that the truck would just die at random. doesnt matter if im going 70mph or at a complete stop. only once did it throw a code.P1389 ASD Relay so i did some investigating and found that the T.I.P.M had to be replaced because i cant just replace the relay. i purchased a full bumper to bumper warrenty so i took it to the local dodge dealer and to have it invetigated. They found the leak on the power steering and called to get authorization from the warrenty company and they refused stating it was a pre-existing condition. (whole nother story) so i took it back to the dealer. they fixed the power steering and put in a new T.I.P.M. that didnt fix the problem. now its been 5 weeks since i took it to them and they still cant find the problem. i have been going back and forth with them the whole time on what the plan is and they are just emailing Chrysler back and forth and coming to no conclusion. i asked them to change the PCM and try that. they said its not possible because the PCM is now obsolet and it would have to be an aftermarket which would "fry the whole truck"(this is a Dodge dealership by the way) i dont know what the hell to do here. anyone have an issue like this with there Dodge? any help would be greatly appreciated. i feel privaledged to own one of these trucks but at this rate i dont want anything to do with it

8,725 Posts
dodge considers these bastard children boss, very very few will actually go to lengths to help you , or even understand whats wrong .

more than likely you either have a cut in the wiring , the wrong tip, or the pcm needs replaced which there are places that will renew the puter, it will not fry the whole truck

but the problem needs investigating, be hard to diagnose properly over the net, 1000's of things it possibly could be sir

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would a cut wire cause it to die Intermittently? what do you mean tipm They told me because i was a viper owner that i would have top priority. i said "I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has his standard dodge ram here if mine is takeing 5 weeks" whats weird is that the first time it died was more than a week after i bought it then it got progressively worse to the point i was affraid to drive it because it would die at least once every trip. typically i have to stop and let it sit for a minute before i restart it. once i was able to put it in neutral and start it while i was driving.

8,725 Posts
if the wire is frayed then yessir

but dying intermittently can be a number of things,

lets start over

quad cab or reg cab?

and what mods have been done

dose it just quit out of the blue , no turning, so forth just going down the road?

reason I say tipm is Ihave seen them install wrong ones, and give our trucks a fit sir

otherwise it may be the pcm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a quad cab. no modification totally stock. it does die a random. i've tried turning on various electronics, start/stop, light on the gas, heavy on the gas, doesn't seem to be anything i can do to force it to die. they did send the tipm back once and got a new one thinking they got a defective one but the second one didnt work either.

8,725 Posts
wow, well without seeing it personally its more or less a shot in the dark

to me sounds like maybe something in the wiring that has rubbed or is intermittently grounding out/ that's my personal opinion

but there are a few things you could check or replace, but you can do this till you run thru the entire truck and may not fix it boss, so its kinda a tossup

but check the park indicator, the part on the dash that tells you if you are in park neutral , drive so forth, see if its perfectly in its location
sometimes they get out of adjustment and can cause the sensor on the transmission to have fun with the electronics

the cam and crank sensor can go out at odd times, they are reasonably cheap to replace, that may be a good start

the pcm, there is a place in fla that can rebuild them and also there is B @ G Chrysler up north, you can overnight it to them, they repair and can ovn back

I will think more on it, but sounds like there may be a wire scuffed somewhere, but also cant seem to get that fuse box out of my mind either, those things have really wreaked havoc on the regular hemis.

one spot to look is on the passenger side from the pcm , if you follow the large bundle of wires, you will notice they go behind the passenger valve cover, that is a frequent spot that has given problems

also , double check all the grounds, meaning remove and clean them, the one at the thermostate I have seen cause one not to crank , but there is one on the thermostate, and one on the rear of the head also

the last consideration is the fuel pump, but honestly it would be my last resort, normally they are good or bad, and wont be hit or miss

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like exactly what the problem is with mine before the destroyership destroyed my cam sensor. Which in turn caused me to do a cam upgrade and a bunch of other stuff. I have checked the wiring while the intake was off and could not find anything. To this date I don't know if I fixed it unknowingly with all the upgrades, but I hope so.

Do you get any other codes? Also try removing your leads off your battery and hold them together for around 30 seconds, this will reset the pcm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Guys can't thank you enough for all the help. I don't have the tuck now but I told them if they can't fix it by the end of the week I just want the truck back. Once I get it back I'll start looking into this stuff. Im not sure how often you guys drive your trucks, I think for a lot of srt10 owners its probably a second vehicle huh. Unfortunetly for me this is my dailey driver. So if I can't get it fixed I'm gonna be s.o.l. may be I'll talk to the service rep and ask that they check this stuff as well. Just looking at some pics on here. Really making me wish I had my truck back

8,725 Posts
LOL well boss, own three of my own, well actually fixing to sell a couple , but sure I will be getting a couple more, its about all I mess with, and do love em for sure!

but I'll keep pondering on it, but most of the time , it ends up being something really simple sometimes , something we overlook.

either way I hope you get your ride back soon, and it rolls to 100k miles with ya buddy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had a new trans put in my 06 quadcab and when the trans does not go into park ok the A/C and the airbag light comes on now. but when the trans goes into park with no problem all works well. Goes back to the dealer next week for them to adjust things to fix the problem I hope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i just got off the phone with the dealer apparently the truck is not dieing at randon anymore but the new TIMP wont communicate with the censors in the truck and when they "scan it" it says my truck is a standard 2000 dodge ram 1500. any suggestions

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,654 Posts
Well thats not good......

Sounds like the dealership messed up when they tried to do a reprogram of the PCM .......

8,725 Posts
so i just got off the phone with the dealer apparently the truck is not dieing at randon anymore but the new TIMP wont communicate with the censors in the truck and when they "scan it" it says my truck is a standard 2000 dodge ram 1500. any suggestions
yessir , time to send you pcm to bg Chrysler sir

8,725 Posts
sorry miss typed,

call these guys, explain whats happening, see if they don't think its in the pcm , they can rebuild and reprogram it sir

http://bgchrysler.com/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry miss typed,

call these guys, explain whats happening, see if they don't think its in the pcm , they can rebuild and reprogram it sir

http://bgchrysler.com/
Thanks! i just got off the phone with them. the only info he could give me is that the Chrysler scan tool doesnt communicate with 2006 dodge ram's. at the time i didnt know if they were using that or not, so i called the dealership to let them know and they said they already new that and that they were using a different scan tool. she said the truck is running without dieing but have no headlights/ interior lights etc. so that sucks. they are in the process of putting in the old TIPM back in and trying to reconfigure that one now. you guys have been a great help really i cant thank you enough. god willing i will get my truck back some day. ill be sure to update if they figure out whats wrong. i realize now why all my buddies drive old trucks with no electrical options. what a nightmare

1 - 20 of 21 Posts