SRT10 Forum banner

Tow Hitch from dealer run around

8K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Hamrhead 
#1 ·
My problem continues. After working on having a tow hitch included when first buying my SRT-10, the dealer is now giving me the run around. First they said no problem and ordered me a hitch and where going to put it on. Then they told me that the hitch they recieved was the wrong one for my truck.
They finally got the correct hitch from DrawTight (one week later) but are now telling me that if they install it they will not cover my warrenty on the drive train. Their telling me that because my truck is a 6 speed stick, that I will fry the transmission and clutch. I told then I was only going to tow a small trailer with a quad and they just won't go for it. To make things worse, there telling me that just because I have a due bill that they don't have to do it and don't have to refund me the cost of a hitch since it was thrown into the deal.
After talking to the service manager a half an hour ago and treatening to sue, they are now contacting Chrysler to see what to do about this mess.

Is anyone towing with a 6-speed SRT? How much weight are you towing? Any problems?

#2 · (Edited)
Hitch

Hi Jay, I bought a hitch at the dealer in Rancho Santa Margerita and it was from Dodge and fit perfectly. I asked when I puchased the SRT-10 from them that I have a two hundred pound trailer and a 625 pound Harley I tow to the shows and they said no problem. I have towed with it to two shows and you don't even know it's there. If you look on some of my past posts, you will see the installed unit. Larry

#8 ·
Here is the latest news, the dealer now told me the reason why the tow hitch will void the warrenty. This is the most BullSh*t I have ever heard.

They told me that towing will cause the engine to run too hot and I will warp the heads. C'mon. Those heads are going to run that hot towing a 450 pound quad and 250 pound trailer? I think I know how to read a temp gauge.

Well, after threatening to return the truck, the dealer now has agreed to give me an after market warrenty at that dealership and he going to try to get me the same from Chrysler so they will honor it at any other dealer I choose to use.

I won't know more until Monday. I will keep you all informed.

#9 ·
Yeah, I would agree with TommyLee. Its not wether the SRT-10 Reg cab can tow! I would bet that DC will deny warranty claims for drive-train, suspension Etc. They state right in there literature that, "TOWING IS NOT RECOMMENDED". I will use my other trucks to tow. I certainly don't want to give DC the chance to deny any claim that may come up! :mad: We all are aware of the premature clutch problems. :D just my .02

Mike

#11 ·
9 seconds said:
What a load of crap. Read this --> http://www.srt10forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233

This is exactly what you need to know to tow with a regular cab. Trust me. (or should I say trust toohighpsi!)
A very well written and researched post. However I will stick by my original post and leave the towing to my other trucks! :D

#14 ·
Jay5150 said:
Here is the latest news, the dealer now told me the reason why the tow hitch will void the warrenty. This is the most BullSh*t I have ever heard.

They told me that towing will cause the engine to run too hot and I will warp the heads. C'mon. Those heads are going to run that hot towing a 450 pound quad and 250 pound trailer? I think I know how to read a temp gauge.

Well, after threatening to return the truck, the dealer now has agreed to give me an after market warrenty at that dealership and he going to try to get me the same from Chrysler so they will honor it at any other dealer I choose to use.

I won't know more until Monday. I will keep you all informed.
I guess the quad cab gets those "cooler" running heads.

#16 ·
9 seconds said:
I was refering to what the dealer told him about the warped heads with my "load of crap" comment. Not anything anyone else posted.:)
Sorry 9, I guess I misunderstood!! Its not the first time, lol ;)

#17 ·
not recommended, doesn't mean DO NOT TOW,why is there a removable panel at the bottom center of bumper? i'd like to hear a dealer to explain that one! :cool:

#19 ·
My manual explicitly states that damage due to hole shots and drag racing is covered!!! LOL :D

#20 ·
I work at Huffiness Dodge in Louisville Texas and I have personally helped install a tow hitch on a 05 Ram SRT-10 6-speed. Our shop foreman has a 6-speed that he put a hitch on. It can be dune there is even a tow package that can be ordered for the Ram SRT-10. Also I think that there is something like 1500 to 2500 rating for the 6-speed and more for the QC autos. Don’t quote me on that one tho.

#21 ·
Samurai75007 said:
I work at Huffiness Dodge in Louisville Texas and I have personally helped install a tow hitch on a 05 Ram SRT-10 6-speed. Our shop foreman has a 6-speed that he put a hitch on. It can be dune there is even a tow package that can be ordered for the Ram SRT-10. Also I think that there is something like 1500 to 2500 rating for the 6-speed and more for the QC autos. Don’t quote me on that one tho.
The only tow package available for an SRT-10 is on the Quad Cab, and it is not an option, it is standard. Oh, and when did Huffines Dodge start speaking for DCX? No flames intended and I apologize if I offend anyone, I just don't know why a tech at a dealership feels that just because he has put a hitch on an SRT-10 Reg Cab that it makes it right to do so. No one is questioning whether or not that it can be done, just whether or not it SHOULD be done.

#22 ·
TommyLee said:
The only tow package available for an SRT-10 is on the Quad Cab, and it is not an option, it is standard. Oh, and when did Huffines Dodge start speaking for DCX? No flames intended and I apologize if I offend anyone, I just don't know why a tech at a dealership feels that just because he has put a hitch on an SRT-10 Reg Cab that it makes it right to do so. No one is questioning whether or not that it can be done, just whether or not it SHOULD be done.
I am sorry I am not a tech. If you have a truck and it can have a hitch why not put it on?

#24 · (Edited)
I remember seeing a short video clip of the SRT-10 Ram last year, where one of the 'higer-up suits' was being interviewed and mentioned that he expected some owners would be doing light towing, such as a pair of Jet-Skis. Though he never mentioned voiding drivetrain warranties because of this.

IMO, if they never intended ANY of these trucks to have hitches, they wouldn't have designed the rear bumper with the removable piece so that a hitch could be mounted.

#25 ·
Hamrhead said:
I remember seeing a short video clip of the SRT-10 Ram last year, where one of the 'higer-up suits' was being interviewed and mentioned that he expected some owners would be doing light towing, such as a pair of Jet-Skis. Though he never mentioned voiding drivetrain warranties because of this.

IMO, if they never intended ANY of these trucks to have hitches, they wouldn't have designed the rear bumper with the removable piece so that a hitch could be mounted.
I haven't mentioned voiding anyones drivetrain warrantys, either. And jet skis and towing of the such is probably no big deal, but when you are towing a GMC Syclone on a dual-axle trailer (shown earlier in this thread), I believe there could be a problem.

#26 ·
TommyLee said:
Because DaimlerChrysler (Dodge) never intended the Reg Cab to have a hitch. The Reg Cab is nothing more than a Viper with a truck body and 1/2 the price tag. You don't see many Vipers with Hitches, do you.
Oh, and when did TommyLee start speaking for Dodge? As with your similar comment, no flame intended. I don't question if a hitch should be put on my 2004. I do question if it should be on the truck of someone who doesn't understand the SRT-10 Ram and thinks that 500 hp is all they need to know. If the cut-out for the hitch isn't enough to indicate that Dodge knew people would use it to tow, maybe the trailer plug is. That is mostly my opinon. I was lucky enough to have discussions with the engineer in charge of the SRT-10 Ram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.