1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would say this is a must buy.

VEC2
Price $995.99
The VEC2 Viper Engine Calibrator allows precise tuning of the air to fuel ratio and ignition timing over the entire operating range of the engine. Viper SRT-10s typically gain 35 HP plus 50 FT/LBS torque, while Ram SRT-10s have gained 61 HP plus 104 FT/LBS torque! Viper Gen 1 and 2 customers have experienced gains in excess of 60 HP and 115 FT/LBS torque!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Titan said:
I would say this is a must buy.

VEC2
Price $995.99
The VEC2 Viper Engine Calibrator allows precise tuning of the air to fuel ratio and ignition timing over the entire operating range of the engine. Viper SRT-10s typically gain 35 HP plus 50 FT/LBS torque, while Ram SRT-10s have gained 61 HP plus 104 FT/LBS torque! Viper Gen 1 and 2 customers have experienced gains in excess of 60 HP and 115 FT/LBS torque!
Titan,
That is really cheap HP. Are those gains on a stock car/truck with no mods? I had no idea that the VEC's could do that much. There is a lot of latent Hp there just for the taking.........Jack

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fstjack said:
Titan,
That is really cheap HP. Are those gains on a stock car/truck with no mods? I had no idea that the VEC's could do that much. There is a lot of latent Hp there just for the taking.........Jack

I am not sure Jack, I was just viewing Roe Racings website and ran across it.
Sounds like a must have to me.. But I sure would like to know if those numbers were from stock or not.... I'll email them and let ya know

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Guys for more info try a search of the VCA Gen 3 board and be sure to post your findings here for us!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
womsterr said:
Guys for more info try a search of the VCA Gen 3 board and be sure to post your findings here for us!
Found some numbers. Looks like these were when he first came out with the VEC2

The modifications to the drive train on my car are:

K&N's, smooth tubes, T&D rocker arms, Bellanger headers, Hi-flow cats, Corsa cat back. Both dyno sessions were on 93 octane and stock spark plugs. Same dynometer used and temperature/humidity were consistent.

The object of this VEC2 install was to gain hp/torque in the low to mid range for track use.

I took the car to TWS and ran the 2.9 mile course yesterday. The extra power was very noticeable on the low end. I had an aluminum flywheel installed since my last track day, and the car had no problem in getting up to speed quickly with the VEC2 and the flywheel. It seemed like a different car. I am very pleased with the VEC2 and recommend it to other Viper owners.

Sean has suggested that we put race gas in the tank and colder plugs to see what a greater spark advance would do to the numbers. I will report back after the next dyno trip with those numbers.

I forgot to get a dyno graph of the pre and post dyno sessions laid on top of each other. I will contact the dyno shop and see if they will mail me that graph and then ask the moderator to help me post it.

A big thanks to Sean Roe and Keith Verges for their help with this modification. Both are great guys.

Pre VEC2 - 472.4 hp 486.3 torque
Post VEC2 - 471.3 hp 514.8 torque

.....................Before/After............Before/After.............Net gain

2500 rpm......150 / 210 hp......325 / 440 torque......60 hp / 115 torque
3000 rpm......205 / 250 hp......370 / 440 torque......45 hp / 70 torque
3500 rpm......290 / 320 hp......430 / 480 torque......30 hp / 50 torque
4000 rpm......350 / 385 hp......460 / 505 torque......35 hp / 45 torque
4500 rpm......410 / 438 hp......477 / 510 torque......28 hp / 33 torque
5000 rpm......460 / 460 hp......486 / 486 torque......0 hp / 0 torque
5500 rpm......460 / 465 hp......445 / 445 torque......5 hp / 0 torque

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of you guys in the texas area know of a place where I could take my truck to get tuned. I am considering this VEC2 but I would like to get it professionaly tuned first...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Titan said:
Any of you guys in the texas area know of a place where I could take my truck to get tuned. I am considering this VEC2 but I would like to get it professionaly tuned first...
In Houston, there is Hennessey of course. Also, TNT Motorsports, which I hear is a couple of guys that used to be with Hennessey. 9 Seconds might be able to tell ya more about the H-town area. I imagine there are tuners in Dallas and Austin too.

Be sure to post when you get the VEC2 and get it tuned and let us all know what ya think. I know i am curious.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Seem to me that since the peak hp and torque are about equal for post and pre vac2 and the gains are most noticeable at low and mid rpms, the stock program seems detuned at lower rpms or the factory did a really ****ty job tuning the ecu at low rpms.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Titan said:
Where are you looking? Houston, Austin, God forbid Dallas?:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9 seconds said:
Where are you looking? Houston, Austin, God forbid Dallas?:)
I am closer to Dallas then Houston, so Dallas would be the easier.
You know someone in big D? You have any experiance with the VEC2?
Also can a good tuner tune the truck as it without the VEC2?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Titan said:
I am closer to Dallas then Houston, so Dallas would be the easier.
Let me check. There may be one or two. I don't have the VEC-2 but may soon. As for tuning, I think that phrase gets used way too much by mechanics. There is not much on a Dodge you can change without some kind of add on engine management gizmo.

I'll let you know soon.

Steve

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9 seconds said:
Let me check. There may be one or two. I don't have the VEC-2 but may soon. As for tuning, I think that phrase gets used way too much by mechanics. There is not much on a Dodge you can change without some kind of add on engine management gizmo.

I'll let you know soon.

Steve
Ok, that's what I thought. So basicly if your moding a viper motor, VEC-2 is a must have.. On the tuners, I hope you know someone. I sure don't want to experiment LOL!

Thx for the info 9sec

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Titan,
I have heard of some good Viper techs but i wasn't sure if they had VEC2 experience so I E-mailed Sean.

He wrote

"I don't know of anyone in Dallas off the top of my head, but we have programs for them already (gain 80+ RWTQ and 60+RWHP in the mid-range) that can be fine tuned for max gains on the dyno if needed.
We tune by phone and fax quite regularly.
Regards,
Sean"

I would give it a try with just Sean and a cell phone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the VEC2 installed on my truck and it is awesome. The biggest problem I have is only 91 octane fuel is available in CA and OR.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
COILED said:
I have the VEC2 installed on my truck and it is awesome. The biggest problem I have is only 91 octane fuel is available in CA and OR.
Coiled,
If I buy the VEC2 is it easy to install yourself?
Will the truck be driveable afer the installition?
Did you get a perforamnce increase, how much if you know?
We get 93 octane here :)

Thx for the info,
Titan

·
Registered
335 Posts
vec2

I,think the way to go about the install is that it is done in conjuction with a few dyno pulls to tune it all in ,the proof will be the before and after results,Iam told there is real good gains in the low end thur mid range,very tuneable.
gearheadbill
--------------------
04 ram srt-10 blk magnaflow,k&n intake,5.13s
04 fx-35 blk
94 tt supra
72 ply scamp pro street all alu 470"
64 dodge 330 sedan prostreet 498"
97 dodge v-10 2500

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gearheadbill said:
I,think the way to go about the install is that it is done in conjuction with a few dyno pulls to tune it all in ,the proof will be the before and after results,Iam told there is real good gains in the low end thur mid range,very tuneable.
gearheadbill
--------------------
04 ram srt-10 blk magnaflow,k&n intake,5.13s
04 fx-35 blk
94 tt supra
72 ply scamp pro street all alu 470"
64 dodge 330 sedan prostreet 498"
97 dodge v-10 2500
Good info, Hows those 5.13s working for ya? 1/4 mile times

·
Registered
61 Posts
Titan said:
Coiled,
If I buy the VEC2 is it easy to install yourself?
Will the truck be driveable afer the installition?
Did you get a perforamnce increase, how much if you know?
We get 93 octane here :)

Thx for the info,
Titan
The installation instructions are straight forward. I didn't have time to do my own install and had the dealer install it. Charged me for 2 hrs. Also, the VEC 2 is installed in series with the factory wiring and has factory connectors which allow you to eliminate the VEC2 if necessary and plug everything back in stock. There are some sample files written for the truck included on the CD that comes with the unit. The sample file on the cd assumes 93 octane. If you don't have access to 93, you can modify the ignition load and fuel rpm to accomodate 91. The system works flawlessly and it allows you to optimize the fuel and spark for your truck. Also, the tech support from Sean Roe has been top notch!!

In answer to your last question, Yes there is definetely a performance increase. A seat-of-the-pants increase. Especially in the "bog" area (off idle to 3000rpm). Torque increase is great and the truck is more fun to drive, if that's even possible. Oh ya - while road testing my latest computer tuning last week, a poor unsuspecting individual piloting his new Z-28 (complete with girlfriend in right seat) decided to "wait" for me at a stop sign. He blipped the throttle a couple times and was grinning like a cat that just ate a mouse. We both spun off the line, I short shifted into 2nd and pulled away from him like a scalded dog. 3rd gear sent the needle soaring toward 100 quicker than I've ever experienced. I was grinning ear to ear as I decelerated and was wondering how anyone in their right mind could produce such a powerful and wicked truck! Thank you to the guys in Auburn Hills!! Oh, the guy in the camaro took a quick right at the next street.

Make sure if you order the VEC-2 that you also order the card reader so you can program your system. Also, make sure when you load a card that the truck is running, otherwise you could throw a code in the PCM. The VEC-2 has worked flawlessly.

One last thing, if you want to have some fun with the unsuspecting family member that is bugging you to drive your truck, you can load a temporary file into the vec2 and limit the rpm to whatever you want. I limited mine to 3250 rpm. It was hallarious hearing what a "dog" this truck is. "The stupid fuel cuts off before you can get it to redline" I told my brother in law that I would have it checked out sometime. :p

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
COILED said:
The installation instructions are straight forward. I didn't have time to do my own install and had the dealer install it. Charged me for 2 hrs. Also, the VEC 2 is installed in series with the factory wiring and has factory connectors which allow you to eliminate the VEC2 if necessary and plug everything back in stock. There are some sample files written for the truck included on the CD that comes with the unit. The sample file on the cd assumes 93 octane. If you don't have access to 93, you can modify the ignition load and fuel rpm to accomodate 91. The system works flawlessly and it allows you to optimize the fuel and spark for your truck. Also, the tech support from Sean Roe has been top notch!!

In answer to your last question, Yes there is definetely a performance increase. A seat-of-the-pants increase. Especially in the "bog" area (off idle to 3000rpm). Torque increase is great and the truck is more fun to drive, if that's even possible. Oh ya - while road testing my latest computer tuning last week, a poor unsuspecting individual piloting his new Z-28 (complete with girlfriend in right seat) decided to "wait" for me at a stop sign. He blipped the throttle a couple times and was grinning like a cat that just ate a mouse. We both spun off the line, I short shifted into 2nd and pulled away from him like a scalded dog. 3rd gear sent the needle soaring toward 100 quicker than I've ever experienced. I was grinning ear to ear as I decelerated and was wondering how anyone in their right mind could produce such a powerful and wicked truck! Thank you to the guys in Auburn Hills!! Oh, the guy in the camaro took a quick right at the next street.

Make sure if you order the VEC-2 that you also order the card reader so you can program your system. Also, make sure when you load a card that the truck is running, otherwise you could throw a code in the PCM. The VEC-2 has worked flawlessly.

One last thing, if you want to have some fun with the unsuspecting family member that is bugging you to drive your truck, you can load a temporary file into the vec2 and limit the rpm to whatever you want. I limited mine to 3250 rpm. It was hallarious hearing what a "dog" this truck is. "The stupid fuel cuts off before you can get it to redline" I told my brother in law that I would have it checked out sometime. :p

LOL!! cold but funny trick :) That's good info man, I believe you sold me. Now I just need to find a place in the dallas aera that could install one.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
COILED said:
So you are saying that the Vec2 can be installed WITHOUT cutting ANY wires - Simply Plug 'n Play?

He wrote
"I don't know of anyone in Dallas off the top of my head, but we have programs for them already (gain 80+ RWTQ and 60+RWHP in the mid-range) that can be fine tuned for max gains on the dyno if needed.
We tune by phone and fax quite regularly.
Regards,
Sean"
I would give it a try with just Sean and a cell phone.

80RWTQ and 60RWHP is reason enough to purchase this! For what it costs, it's already cheap HP! I DON'T want to run my truck on the ragged edge of detonation.

It's just a matter of how hard it is to learn to use?? :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts