SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first oil change coming up in 200 miles. The truck is an 05 QC. I looked at the manual and it shows that the truck requires 0W40. Is that a full synthetic? Should I put in a full synthetic? In the past I've always gotten my oil changed at Valvoline because its quick and i don't have to **** with it myself. Should I keep going to Valvoline or try somewhere else? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Premium Member
i've always used 0/40 mobil1 cuz i have an extended warranty...and i'll continue to use it...just because...

i'm too lazy to change my own oil....so...if you can't find anywhere to do it for you that you like, then just go to the dealer....it's not all that bad, in truth

and yeah, it's a full synthetic

Registered
Mobile 1, Valvoline, Havoline....everybody has their favorate that is better than the others....I use Royal Purple in the 10 and Mobile 1 in the wife's Durango.....any fully syn that meets specs should be fine..

Registered
I use Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil in 10W 30.You would of course use 0W40.They call for 15 K between changes but I change @ 7500.Like Dan said ,full synthetic.

Looks like they don`t offer a 0W 40 though.

Premium Member
I use Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil in 10W 30.You would of course use 0W40.They call for 15 K between changes but I change @ 7500.Like Dan said ,full synthetic.

Looks like they don`t offer a 0W 40 though.
Does it stink like old oil after 7500?

I went 6000 ONCE in the SRT with Mobil 1 0-40 but I didn't do it again because it smelled like the oil that comes out of one of my work trucks that has 300,000 miles on it.

Registered
Does it stink like old oil after 7500?

I went 6000 ONCE in the SRT with Mobil 1 0-40 but I didn't do it again because it smelled like the oil that comes out of one of my work trucks that has 300,000 miles on it.
No it doesn`t.Seems to hold up well.Way different supposedly than Mobil 1 according to the tests anyway.I would never go over 3K with Mobil 1 IMO.

I use the Wix filters as well.20 W 50 Dominator Racing Oil in the SS.

Here is some test data: https://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE
Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil鈥檚 proprietary friction modifier provides reduced friction for maximum power and cooler engine temperatures, resulting in improved lap times and longer-lasting equipment.

PROTECTION FROM STARTUP TO THE CHECKERED FLAG
Dominator Synthetic 10W-30 Racing Oil鈥檚 multi-viscosity design provides maximum protection in temperature extremes. Dominator Racing Oil offers excellent coldstart protection and provides less drag when engine oil has not reached stable operating temperatures. It maintains superior film strength during high-temperature operation on the track.

SUPERIOR-QUALITY OILS, NO DISCRIMINATION
Many oil companies produce specialty racing oils for elite groups and do not offer them to the general public. For instance, several popular oil manufacturers produce racing oils offered only to NASCAR racers. All AMSOIL synthetic motor oils are already formulated to a higher level of performance than competitors鈥 oils, and AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil is no exception. It provides maximum performance and superior protection to all racers, regardless of their level of competition. The same AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic Racing Oil that is used in the engines of AMSOIL corporately-sponsored racers, including Scott Douglas and Brady Smith, are available to everyone.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Dominator Synthetic 10W-30 Racing Oil is recommended for high-rpm, high-horsepower, turbo/supercharged, gasoline- or alcohol-burning and nitrous oxide gas-injected applications operated under severe conditions.

Applications include, but are not limited to, the following:
鈥 Asphalt Late Model 鈥 Dirt Late Model 鈥 Modified Big Block 鈥 Modified Small Block 鈥 GM Crate Late Model 鈥 Marine 鈥 Sprint 鈥 Midget 鈥 Kart 鈥 Other domestic and import high-performance racing and street applications requiring 30-weight oil.

AMSOIL Ea Racing Air Filters (EaAR) are specially designed for racing and street rod enthusiasts who desire AMSOIL Ea protection in carbureted applications. AMSOIL EaAR Air Filters are constructed with the same synthetic nanofiber media as other AMSOIL Ea Air Filters, providing maximum protection and extended filter life.

AMSOIL offers WIX Racing Oil Filters for racing applications. WIX racing filters are specially designed for racing applications only.

OIL ANALYZERS INC., 715-395-0222, is a division of AMSOIL that provides cost-effective, quality oil analysis services. For more information on product applications and service life, refer to the AMSOIL Product Recommendation and Drain Interval Guide (G1490).

Premium Member
Interesting stuff, thanks!

Ronnie

Premium Member
Where do you guys find Mobil 1 0W40? Neither walmart near me has it, ever. And Autozone only had a couple single quarts last time. Would I have to special order it through somebody?

Registered

Registered
Where do you guys find Mobil 1 0W40? Neither walmart near me has it, ever. And Autozone only had a couple single quarts last time. Would I have to special order it through somebody?
Try ordering at the Auto Zone store....my local Auto Zone keeps Mobil 1 0/40 in stock so it is offered thru Auto Zone...I bet yours could get it in 1-2 days..

Premium Member
Cool, thanks. I never really liked the Autozone by me, they didn't have the brightest people there last time I went. I'll see what they got, and if not, I'll use one of those websites. I haven't changed the oil since I bought the truck a couple months ago, and wanna make sure the right amount is in there...and I know they used 5W30.

Premium Member

Canadian Tire

Premium Member
pep boys usually has them on sale every few months as well....NAPA has it next to the place i get my oil changed...conveniently???

Registered
Pep Boys does have 0w40 but I use 10w30 in mine. Takes 9.5 qts. Also if you want get the Mopar Viper filter.

Registered
AutoZone just had 5 qts of Mobil 1 0-40 on sale for 29.99 with a Mobil 1 filter. I got 2 of those deals and returned 1 filter the next day. Cost me 50 plus tax for 10 qts and a filter. Then I mailed my $20 rebate through Mobil! I was real happy till I noticed that leaky oil line.

Registered
I would never go over 3K with Mobil 1 IMO.

Very true, just changed the oil. Was Mobil 1 0-40 with under 3k miles and was pitch black.

My mother has a C class Mercedes and the manual calls for oil changes with Mobil 1 at 10k miles. I guess this stuff could make it pass 3k but by what I saw I am not gonna try it.

Registered
BTW if anyone changes the oil themselves for the first time make sure you put down plenty of rags. This stuff really shoots out if you drain it while the engine is warm. The oil actually reached the bottom of the passenger tire when I first removed the plug!

Registered
AutoZone just had 5 qts of Mobil 1 0-40 on sale for 29.99 with a Mobil 1 filter. I got 2 of those deals and returned 1 filter the next day. Cost me 50 plus tax for 10 qts and a filter. Then I mailed my $20 rebate through Mobil! I was real happy till I noticed that leaky oil line.
That`s a deal!:fing02:

Registered
BTW if anyone changes the oil themselves for the first time make sure you put down plenty of rags. This stuff really shoots out if you drain it while the engine is warm. The oil actually reached the bottom of the passenger tire when I first removed the plug!
Even at my buddies shop with a lift and oil catcher it really shoots out of there.

Registered
Very true, just changed the oil. Was Mobil 1 0-40 with under 3k miles and was pitch black.

My mother has a C class Mercedes and the manual calls for oil changes with Mobil 1 at 10k miles. I guess this stuff could make it pass 3k but by what I saw I am not gonna try it.
Mine is black too with the Amsoil so....dunno.Seems all oil turns dark.Hopefully it still has the properties of protection still in there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts