SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after some great advice from JoeN and trips to Ace, Home Depot and Lowes I finally got my wing back on.....man I was missing that thing....I hated not seeing it out the rear view mirror or looking at my truck in a parking lot....it just looked wrong without the wing. After shimming up the back and front screws a quarter inch or so its on and looks great even though its not flush with the bed. I painted the nylon washers black so to match my truck...

If anybody goes with the soft tonneau just pm me for some time saving and anger/frustration saving tips!!!!!!

patrick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
Awesome job dude, looks great!!!!!!!!! Just wish I would have done that, I got the hard cover and cut it out around the wing. Actually been thinking about the sprint, I think it supposed to set inside the bed. Now if you could tell me who airbrushed those palm trees on your truck those are 2 cool!!!!!!!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
looks great Patrick - awesome job

Scott :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys......my girlfriend thinks I am nuts cause I kept talking about how I liked the wing back on so much last night!!!!......heh come on man, that truck is MY baby!!!!! :eek:


patrick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
So, can you guys remove/retract these soft tonneau's without removing the wing - In case you gotta haul something BIG? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I have a truxedo lo pro tonneau om my qc and the wing fits great w/no shims. I do however have to pull the wing to retract it. i researched nothing but tonneau covers for 2 weeks to find one that was a true no drill/no scratch that would work with the wing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hamrhead said:
So, can you guys remove/retract these soft tonneau's without removing the wing - In case you gotta haul something BIG? :confused:

I am now in the no haul big stuff mode on my truck!!!! Not like I would haul anything anyway. Its a clamp on. But its just 4 clamps to take off the whole deal in one piece, in case I needed to.


patrick
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Thanks Guys.

I'm kind of 'holding out' here, waiting for a soft tonneau that will work with the wing. Meaning no cutting or drilling, and have full use of the tonneau with the wing on. Until then, I guess I'm goin' topless. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
mauiSRT/10 said:
Well after some great advice from JoeN and trips to Ace, Home Depot and Lowes I finally got my wing back on.....man I was missing that thing....I hated not seeing it out the rear view mirror or looking at my truck in a parking lot....it just looked wrong without the wing. After shimming up the back and front screws a quarter inch or so its on and looks great even though its not flush with the bed. I painted the nylon washers black so to match my truck...

If anybody goes with the soft tonneau just pm me for some time saving and anger/frustration saving tips!!!!!!

patrick

Looks like the wing is resting on the tonneau. Did you cut around the tanneau where the wing rests? If you did them maybe you need to tighten the wing down further. It look like to me the gap between the bew and the wing is far to great. Just my observation. Otherwise it looks aswome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Titan said:
Looks like the wing is resting on the tonneau. Did you cut around the tanneau where the wing rests? If you did them maybe you need to tighten the wing down further. It look like to me the gap between the bew and the wing is far to great. Just my observation. Otherwise it looks aswome
First of all I did not have to cut or drill with this install at all.
The wing is held down with two screws from underneath the bed rail to secure it down and two flanged deals on the top bed rail that the wing slides into. I just shimmed both of these up an eighth to a quarter inch because the tonneau sticks out over(half inch)the bed rail and above the bedrail (quarter inch). In the pics it does look like the wing is sitting on the edge of the tonneau and it is but just a half inch at most. I needed to shim the rear flange deal up so the wing would slide into place, the front shims were to just fill up the space between the bedrail and the wing so you arent looking at a screw coming up through the bed. In person it looks very professional and not modded at all. I think it helps that I have a black truck. Of course by changing the height of the wing I just messed with all that wind tunnel testing and who knows maybe by truck will be a little "loose" at 120mph and faster!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Like I will ever know that on Maui!!

If a true flush fitting tonnea existed that wasnt over $1k and you didnt need to drill holes or cut to fit, yeah maybe that would have been a cleaner install but for $150 this was a great cover that really cleans up the bed. The bed is truly a pain to keep clean!!!! I certainly wasnt gonna wax the bed to keep it all black and shiney!!!

patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
mauiSRT/10 said:
First of all I did not have to cut or drill with this install at all.
The wing is held down with two screws from underneath the bed rail to secure it down and two flanged deals on the top bed rail that the wing slides into. I just shimmed both of these up an eighth to a quarter inch because the tonneau sticks out over(half inch)the bed rail and above the bedrail (quarter inch). In the pics it does look like the wing is sitting on the edge of the tonneau and it is but just a half inch at most. I needed to shim the rear flange deal up so the wing would slide into place, the front shims were to just fill up the space between the bedrail and the wing so you arent looking at a screw coming up through the bed. In person it looks very professional and not modded at all. I think it helps that I have a black truck. Of course by changing the height of the wing I just messed with all that wind tunnel testing and who knows maybe by truck will be a little "loose" at 120mph and faster!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Like I will ever know that on Maui!!

If a true flush fitting tonnea existed that wasnt over $1k and you didnt need to drill holes or cut to fit, yeah maybe that would have been a cleaner install but for $150 this was a great cover that really cleans up the bed. The bed is truly a pain to keep clean!!!! I certainly wasnt gonna wax the bed to keep it all black and shiney!!!

patrick

Just an observation, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I wasn't sure if you caught that. I had to trim mine just around the wing so it would fit flush. Using shims will do the job nicely as well. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
mauisrt/10 - nice job - nice truck.
Did I just miss the brand of cover? Who made it.
You said it won't roll up but removes basically in one piece, is that without removing the wing? I need something, I prefer soft covers, so I can occasionally haul something bigger or a motorcycle (althought that one requires removing the wing anyway).
How does it seem to hold up under speed. Appreciate any answers since I am looking into doing something similar, and you seem to have already gone through the pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BlueFlame said:
mauisrt/10 - nice job - nice truck.
Did I just miss the brand of cover? Who made it.
You said it won't roll up but removes basically in one piece, is that without removing the wing? I need something, I prefer soft covers, so I can occasionally haul something bigger or a motorcycle (althought that one requires removing the wing anyway).
How does it seem to hold up under speed. Appreciate any answers since I am looking into doing something similar, and you seem to have already gone through the pain.

Brand was checkermate..........they only sell direct off the website..
checkerpro.com click on soft tonneau.

You would have to take off the entire wing to remove the entire cover.....the roll back on in another tread looks really cool but of course soft one is $130 or so the roll back is $900 or so!

Only had the truck up to 80 or so with the cover and it bounces a little but seems ok....track season opens up next month so we shall see what 100+ is like and if it drops my times.

If you get one and need help on install just pm me.

patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Thanks MauiSRT/10 - I'll check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wingtransport......here are some up close pics of the shimming.

patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Thanks again Patrick, I will be off to the hardware store today. I need one of those fancy cameras you all have so i can do some pics too. Denny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Well got it done and it looks great.... Thanks to Patrick and his hard learned but good ideas. Your help was very much appreciated. The Checkmate-soft cover is a great buy and some what amusing to install. With my wifes help [ yes she can and does] we were able to trim and cut the cover to fit flush with the wing. It took all day but was well worth it in the end. Will post pics as soon as the camera charges up.
Thanks again, Denny
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top