SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have been saving $20 a week my entire life so that I can have a good first car. So I have about $16,000 to spend. I am looking at a Ram SRT 10 because I like the fact that is is a unique truck, not like every other run off the mill Chevy or ford. I imagine that the insurance will be high but I have a pretty well paying job( as far as a good job is in highschool, I earn around $12 an hour, and I work every day except weekends and Fridays) so the insurance will not be that much of a big deal, unless it is like $800 a month. But how loud is the exhaust? I live in a high class neighborhood and I don't want to disturb my neighbors. Is the ride ok? What kind of MPG should I expect? How touchy are the throttle and brakes? Are there any known problems? Don't tell me that rams are crap because we have had 4 of them in the past 16 years and haven't had a single problem with any of them. They say the transmission feels like it will shatter when shifting, because of the horsepower and torque. Is this true? Thanks!!!

PS I forgot to mention I won't be speeding because the truck just won't be able to handle the crappy roads around here at speed. I would take it to a racetrack about 30 miles away. Sure I might spin the wheels in the school parking lot a bit, but I'm not an idiot.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Odd post.....you have indicated that you already have an SRT10 in another thread, posted a couple of minutes later.

$16k will buy you a very used, high mileage SRT10. If looked after properly, the engine will last as long as a V8. The automatic transmissions require regular band adjustment (don't do this yourself, unless you know how). The clutch on the manual will last as long as you do not abuse it.

These trucks use a lot of gas. You may want something more economical for your first vehicle.

Repairs are very expensive. You get to pay the viper tax on everything it seems!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts